Black spots, missing fur and scratching

Benny2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

Benny has been dealing with skin issues for over a month now, it started as itching and scratching followed by hair loss and now these weird black spots have appeared. A few weeks ago the vet seemed to think it was dermatitis but that was prior to these black spots on his neck, ear and nose. He was given an allergy shot and a steroid but not much has improved.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Benny2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As of last Friday, I switched his food to a Limited Ingredient diet as I am not sure what else to do for him :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Sorry, but I couldn't make out the weird black spots you are referring to. Did you follow up with the vet and tell them about these spots appearing after he was given an allergy shot and a steroid? You might ask the vet if this could be a form of acne and if it would respond to steroids and an allergy shot. At any rate, if the treatment the vet gave your cat didn't resolve the problem, they need to be told so and you need to ask them help you pursue other testing/treatment options.

Benny2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, at times I feel the vet doesn't always take the time to look at all the issues. The first vet we took him to said it was ringworm and the next one said dermatitis because they did the UV test for ringworm and it came back negative.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it is not easy to decipher in those pics, maybe if you take a look at this slideshow of the 7 most common skin issues, you might be able to identify something more concrete? From this slideshow, it would seem to either be food allergy (as you suspect) or acne. But, maybe something else will 'ring a bell' with you. Edit: adding another slideshow with actual pictures, maybe that will help.
7 Common Skin Problems in Cats | PetMD
Pictures of Skin Problems in Cats (webmd.com)

Benny2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again! I have looked at Pet and Web MD and sadly none of these pics look like what Benny is experiencing. This is a better picture of the spot on his neck which seems to now also be on his nose.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, yeah - that looks nothing like any of the stuff I sent you!!! Is it flat, not bumpy? Although, it could be fungal in nature, or at least that would be my guess. I would definitely send that pic to the vet and ask about it. I think Benny is due for another vet visit. Perhaps, they can take a skin scraping. Much more harmless than it sounds.

Benny2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they are flat spots, not crusty at all. I have used anti-fungal cream on him too at the advice of another vet but that hasnt helped either :-) But yes, it seems as if I may need to take him in again. Thank you!