Black Spots In Cat Vomit?

Mari24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am posting because I noticed something unusual about my cat's vomit and I was wondering if anyone could explain me what it is? I do intend to call the vet as soon as I can but in the meantime I'm going crazy thinking this is serious.
Basically, my cat is a little over 1 year old and a few weeks ago I noticed he had thrown up about 3 times during that week after almost never throwing up in the year that I've had him. Then it seemed like he had stopped suddenly. I took him to the vet today for a regular check up and we discussed the potential causes of the vomitting, but since he wasn't showing any other symptoms and it seemed that it had stopped, we really couldn't do much. After that he got a rabies shot and then we went home. He was fine for the rest of the day and acted completely normal. But then at night just before bed he threw up again, only this time there were what looked like little black balls in the vomit. I've heard about blood in vomit looking like coffee grounds, but this was more like a couple of coffee beans rather than coffee grounds. Any ideas on what this is? Could it be a reaction to the rabies shot? He's eating and drinking normally. As far as I can tell, he's not showing any other symptoms. Also, idk if it helps but I feed him Royal Canin indoor adult.

Here's a photo of the vomit (gross I know, sorry)

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your cat black? Is it hair? Gross as it is, it helps to pick through vomit and find out what is in it.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:

Yeah, it looks like hairballs. Vomiting is a symptom, especially vomiting immediately after eating, which this looks like. I'd give him some regular hairball treatment, if it were me. Hairball treats and paste can be widely found online. In the meantime, a dollop of vaseline smeared onto his mouth for him to lick off would help to lubricate his insides to ease the passage of any remaining hairballs out either end.

:salam:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mari24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your cat black? Is it hair? Gross as it is, it helps to pick through vomit and find out what is in it.
Yeah he's a black American shorthair. If it happens again I'll definitely check it out, the thought to pick through it didn't cross my mind!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mari24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign:

Yeah, it looks like hairballs. Vomiting is a symptom, especially vomiting immediately after eating, which this looks like. I'd give him some regular hairball treatment, if it were me. Hairball treats and paste can be widely found online. In the meantime, a dollop of vaseline smeared onto his mouth for him to lick off would help to lubricate his insides to ease the passage of any remaining hairballs out either end.

:salam:
Oh okay! He's never had a problem with hairballs in the year that I've had him so that didn't really cross my mind. If that's all it is, then that's such a relief. I'll definitely look into some hairball treatment then. Thanks!