Black spot on my cat’s nose, I don’t know what it is!

Manapellicciari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! A few days ago I noticed that a single black spot showed up on my cat’s nose. I looked it up on the internet and I saw that it could be lentigo, since my cat is part ginger, and it calmed me down a bit. But when I touched the spot, it sort of feels like a scab, so I got a little worried. I know I should take her to the vet but first I wanted to see some opinions on what it might be and if your ginger or part ginger cat has it.thank you!
4947AB6A-FB14-4020-BF20-0FC8D7E06026.jpeg

0F888D6C-7F79-4F29-A6AE-CD0731925C84.jpeg

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it new? I know that orange kitties get freckles on their nose and gums.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Does she seem annoyed or irritated by the spot? Does she scratch it or paw at it? Has it changed size or shape? If not, you might want to save yourself a vet visit if you call first and/or send them a pic before going in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Manapellicciari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it new? I know that orange kitties get freckles on their nose and gums.
Yes, i think it started to appear at the end of last week. I think it could be a freckle too, I hope it is.

Manapellicciari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she seem annoyed or irritated by the spot? Does she scratch it or paw at it? Has it changed size or shape? If not, you might want to save yourself a vet visit if you call first and/or send them a pic before going in.
Not at all, she seems normal. When I touch it she doesn’t seem to feel anything. As for size and shape, since last week, when it started to show, I haven’t seen it growing or anything, it’s still the same size. But still I will send the vet a picture to see if there’s something wrong. Thank you!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Umm Oliver gets black in that area not a spot though I rubbed it and nothing came off, I took him to the vet and the vet told me well im not vet tough and she wiped it hard and the tissue came out black....

Use h202 hydrogen peroxide on a tissue towel and try rub it harder, I wasted my money and the vet laughed at me lol

Manapellicciari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I’ll try that and then i’ll give you a heads up if it worked or not!

Manapellicciari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Umm Oliver gets black in that area not a spot though I rubbed it and nothing came off, I took him to the vet and the vet told me well im not vet tough and she wiped it hard and the tissue came out black....

Use h202 hydrogen peroxide on a tissue towel and try rub it harder, I wasted my money and the vet laughed at me lol

Thank you so much! I’ll try that and then i’ll give you a heads up if it worked or not!

Manapellicciari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It actually worked! Hahahah thank you so so much!!

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! We're dealing with the same issue for our cat with the only difference being that the scab "grew" slightly wider over a few days. When I dabbed it with apple cider vinegar it fell off.
Wondering if you're sure this was more like a scab in your cat's case or was it some kind of stain? Has it resurfaced since? Thank you!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Scab is not a stain, we both had a stain on the nose, my cat gets it from his food

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone dealing with this, I'd recommend a Vet's exam because it's very likely the result of an autoimmune response - one form (the Eosinophilic Plaque) of a condition called Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex - EGC.

I suspect that, if the 'scab' is removed, it's likely to return.

But, furthermore, by removing the scab, you are exposing the 'naked' tissue to infection.

There's a reliable coverage of EGC here: Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex - veterinarypartner.com

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, will check out the EGC information.
The scab did reveal tender / naked tissue underneath, and it's funny that the scab just fell off like that after dabbing with diluted ACV.
We're concerned it's early stages of SCC (Squamous Cell Carcinoma) and are taking her to vet. Was just hoping for background info / peace of mind in the meantime while we wait for her appointment.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gut feeling is that you should relax, that it's most likely an immune reaction. But, by all means, have her seen!

mpiszli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Sorry for the question, but my black and white cat has a similar spot. It comes off with vigorous scratching, but grows back in a few weeks. Have you been to the doctor? What exactly did your cat have? I hope you are well. Thank you: Peter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is an older thread and the OP has not been back in several years. Based on what you are saying, if the scab continues to reappear it would be a good idea to have your vet check it.