Black spot on my cat's nose, bald spots, and gray appearance?

chelseanoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, a few months ago my cat had a little black spot on her nose for like a month. My stepdad was able to scratch it off. A few days later another black spot appeared, this time in a different shape- a line across her nose. 

I'm wondering if it's just a scab that hasn't gone away or something more. It feels smooth for the most part though, any bumps are barely noticeable to the touch. I'm just wondering why it changed shape because my stepdad didn't scratch across her nose like that, just where the original circle black spot was, and it was higher up on her nose.

Another thing I'm concerned about are bald spots. She started getting them about two years ago. They're always by her ear and under her chin. I've always figured it's from scratching but this time they look worse. One is a wound now instead of just bald. I should probably add that I found a single flea on her last month (couldn't find any more) but I still gave her flea treatment. I don't know why she'd be scratching so much though, up until last month she's never had fleas and my house is clean. Right now she has this bald spot on her chin, along with another one on the other side of her chin that isn't wounded, and another unwounded bald spot under her ear.

And lastly, I think her nose and the lining of her eyes has changed in color in the past two weeks. I'm pretty sure they used to be pink, but now they look slightly gray. I'm wondering if these three things are symptoms of anything.

I would take her to a vet right now but I only make minimum wage and I don't have any extra money to take her at the moment, especially since I have to take her to the vet in November, too /:

She is about seven years old, if that helps.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide some answers. I'm worried about my baby. I'm hoping that all of this is nothing to worry about and I'm just being paranoid.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend with a cat with flea allergies.  One flea can make her begin to loose fur and scab up and it looks very similar to your pictures.  Even though you haven't seen fleas, it is good to keep up the flea treatment for her.  That may be it.

If possible, take her to the vet sooner than November.  If she's scratching, something is bothering her.  Better to determine exactly what it is before it get infected.

lyric88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat actually has acne, and it can look similar to the symptoms in your picture. She gets black spots and scabs on her chin, and as of recently I have started seeing a few dots on her nose. I went to the pet store and bought some animal friendly polysporin and that seems to clear it up. I also never use any plastic bowls, only glass, and that helped tromendasly. Hopefully that helps a bit. You can go onto google and look at some pictures of cats with acne and see if they look the same. Good luck with your kitty

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
This week a spot arrived on one of my cat’s nose. Interesting thread here-will research acne, thanks for the idea as I’m always thinking the worse first, hoping I’m over-reacting.
Sure-I will take to the vet if I must, but it would be a stressful venture with chances of causing other physical issues that I’m trying to avoid. Here’s a pic:

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gloriajh gloriajh
My cat developed a dark spot on her nose overnight when she was about 10 months old.
When I first saw it I thought it was a tiny bit of wet food stuck to her nose, but it wasn't coming off.
It's still there after 16 years :)

Pallina_nose.jpg

All vets who have seen her in these years said it's just a melanin spot.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing this information! Knowing your experience helps me keep a balance in determining what I should do.
I’m keeping pics and if I detect it seems to be increasing in size, then I’ll have to re-evaluate my medical options-I am emphatically convinced stress plays an important factor so am slow about deciding to put him through the vet process.
Thanks, again—- your furbaby has the sweetest face deserving tons of head kisses❤❤

Chessierohr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
23D29CF5-8317-4AA9-B82D-302A6D0B41D3.jpeg

my cat has had that exact thing her whole life (or at least as far as i can remember) i’ve always wondered what it was. It never seemed to bother her. If i would scratch it off, it would just “grow” back in a few days. Shes 10 btw