Black Specks Near Cat’s Mouth

alleecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My two year old calico cat has black flecks near her mouth. I scheduled an appointment with the vet but it being the holidays I have to wait until after Christmas. I was curious if anyone has seen this. It doesn’t seem to bother her, I did the water test and it doesn’t look like it’s feces from fleas and her and my other cats don’t have flea symptoms. Has anyone seen this?

Attachments

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks like chin acne. Do you use plastic dishes for her food or water? Cats can develop chin acne with those. If yes, change to stainless steel or ceramic dishes. These are more hygenic. Otherwise, it could be due to some allergy (food or environmental).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had this. Frontline cleared it up. So it was probably flea or mite dirt. Is she on a monthly flea topical? Indoor cats can still get fleas and mites.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feline acne. It's annoying but in most cases doesn't bother a cat at all. Your cat is fine to wait until after Christmas to see the vet. In the meantime, you can take a fine toothed comb and gently comb out the specks. Then you can swab around the mouth with a Stridex acne pad or a cotton ball with witch hazel applied. Don't use much since your cat will try to lick the area. The vet may prescribe an ointment to use.

Plastic bowls are the most common cause of acne but some cats develop them from other causes. One of my cats developed acne as a result of a brand of raw food I was feeding.