Black smoke or just black kitten?

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone
I got a new kitten on Thursday and I'm wondering if he's black or black smoke ?
He's adorable either way just curious.
IMG_20200507_195740.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's a blessing that's for sure. I have two other cats as well with long hair. One is a black and white tuxedo and the other is an orange tabby. Felix has an unusual coat. When he moves certain ways I see almost white or bald spots in his fur. That's why I thought he may be black smoke.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a blessing that's for sure. I have two other cats as well with long hair. One is a black and white tuxedo and the other is an orange tabby. Felix has an unusual coat. When he moves certain ways I see almost white or bald spots in his fur. That's why I thought he may be black smoke.
He definitely looks like one there to me, gorgeous little guy😻

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am no expert (and, usually guess wrong), but does Felix have white roots - all over his body? If so, I would guess a black smoke. If not, he is probably a black cat, which can have some lighter colorings in the hair and that is fairly normal for many black cats. It looks like he might be long haired, but not sure. How old is he? A couple of more pics (side, top, face, legs/tail) might help.

We have a few resident experts - hopefully they will see your post and respond soon!!

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am no expert, but does Felix have white roots - all over his body? If so, I would guess a black smoke. If not, he is probably a black cat, which can have some lighter colorings in the hair and that is fairly normal for many black cats. It looks like he might be long haired, but not sure. How old is he? A couple of more pics (side, top, face, legs/tail) might help.
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner you are correct that the important question is whether the cat has white roots. No need to defer to other experts, your detailed answer was excellent :)

I will just add that with young kittens it can be difficult to tell if they are smoke or not, because the hairs are still growing in. You may just have to wait and see!

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am no expert (and, usually guess wrong), but does Felix have white roots - all over his body? If so, I would guess a black smoke. If not, he is probably a black cat, which can have some lighter colorings in the hair and that is fairly normal for many black cats. It looks like he might be long haired, but not sure. How old is he? A couple of more pics (side, top, face, legs/tail) might help.

We have a few resident experts - hopefully they will see your post and respond soon!!
Thank you for your response. He has long hair. The vet guessed he is between 8 and 10 weeks old .
He has light under coat that I can see when he moves around .

HilariM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here’s what I believe to be a beautiful black smoke cat. His name is Rabbit and he is a black cat, but the base of his fur is white. He’s highly intelligent, has a great personality, very vocal and active, and loves dogs and cats. These pictures are really the same cat!
1590615251268.jpeg
1590615083026.jpeg 1590615251268.jpeg
1590615083026.jpeg

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's very pretty . How old is he ?

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is his undercoat pure white or silver?

HilariM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1590692623572.jpeg

His fur is bright white at the base of his fur. It’s so crazy! I’ve never seen a cat like him until I adopted him. He had two other siblings, one looked just like him, and the other was a regular orange tabby.