Black scabs on cats gums

Varsha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat has been having these black scab like crusts in his inner mouth areas and on his nose. He keeps scratching it on stuff and with his paws. I don't see this anywhere else, just his nose and mouth. I thought it was cat acne I'm not sure. But I've changed his plastics bowls to ceramic and glass ones. At first it went away but now it's come back so I took him to the vet. The vet just started out so maybe she doesn't know that well but she told me it's fleas! I really don't think it is. Cause he doesn't have that anywhere else. Also he's in an indoor cat. We never let him out.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Indoor cats can get fleas quite easily depending on the immediate environment of where you live, but having said that, this does not look like the flea dirt that I have seen in my experience.

Feline Acne – TheCatSite Articles

It did clear up at one point, which suggests that some of it might be related to acne when you changed the bowls. I would go back to the vet, or to another one, explain that you have investigated the flea angle and don't believe that it is from fleas. Are you using any flea prevention? They might bring that up. Ask for some additional help and medication specifically for cats.