Black poop?

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted in awhile because my cat's been doing well. But this morning I saw something that alarmed me.

I found several pieces of his poop that were very dark and stinky. He's had pooping issues off and on over the years but nothing very serious for a very long time He's on Laxatone, Miralax and an antacid.

I've been trying to get him to eat canned food for years with limited success and finally found a flavor of Fancy Feast that he adores. Pumpkin seems to be eating more of that than his dry food tbh but maybe it's just me.

Lately it's been a battle to get him to take his medicine. I have to grind his antacid and mix it in the Laxatone along with the Miralax. He used to take it willingly for quite awhile but there have been times, esp. recently, where I have to force him to take it by wiping it on his paws. I don't know how else to do this.

This morning the poop I found was partly in his litter box with a couple of small pieces nearby. This isn't unusual for him and has happened in the past when poop would stick to his butt and fall off wherever. I even found a small piece in one of his beds.

I'm including a picture. Sorry about that....it's gross but I need to verify if this is normal. They appeared to be black but when I put them on a wet wipe I could see brown.

Pumpkin has been known to eat his litter for years and I don't know why. A friend once told me it's due to stress and I hope that's not true because if it is, it would probably be due to many issues I am going through with my incompetent doctors and very serious health issues I'm having to deal with.

I was always scared that the day might come where I'd find that he's having a medical emergency and I might not be able to find a way to get him to the vet (I' in a wheelchair and have no car) and tbh, I don't have the money for another medical emergency. My budget is tighter than ever.

I don't know what to do and I am scared for my baby. Pumpkin seems to be eating ok but as a senior cat, probably around 14 or so, has been sleeping more than when he was younger. He's not acting sick. Btw, I just plopped him on his scale. He weighs 9.7 pounds. At his vet appt last June he was 10.2 pounds. It's only five ounces. Should I be concerned about that too?

Please help! I am now not just scared about my health, I am scared about his. He's not acting sick at all and was trying to get my attention while I typed this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, I think I'm seeing pieces of litter but that is probably just due to it sticking to the outside of the poop. Have you tried changing litter to something he won't eat?

Anyway, other than it smelling so strongly, it looks reasonably normal, but I'm not a vet. However, you're right to be paying attention to changes.

For the future, I don't know where you live but can you start looking into discounted/free help for vet visits, and if there's anything available for a way to get your cat to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, I think I'm seeing pieces of litter but that is probably just due to it sticking to the outside of the poop. Have you tried changing litter to something he won't eat?

Anyway, other than it smelling so strongly, it looks reasonably normal, but I'm not a vet. However, you're right to be paying attention to changes.

For the future, I don't know where you live but can you start looking into discounted/free help for vet visits, and if there's anything available for a way to get your cat to the vet?
I decided it would be best to run this by the vet to be on the safe side and I'm still waiting for them to call back.

Maybe his poop was extra smelly because he's been eating more canned food? He really seems to like this one flavor of Fancy Feast that I never tried before until the past week or so.

If they tell me he should be seen I'm not sure how to get him there because I have no car. We have curb to curb bus service but they need several days notice. I could ask one of my neighbors in this building to take him but I'd prefer to be there if possible.

Do vets make house calls?

He's not acting sick. Pumpkin is acting like his usual self. He's grooming and is not having trouble peeing but I have to admit I'd be happier to see more poop. The volume was average for him. The past couple of days before that there wasn't much at all. His appetite is average except for his canned food. He really likes this one (classic chicken feast).

I don't know if it would be safe to wait and see what happens. He could poop later today. This change seems rather sudden. His poop didn't look like this yesterday. I'm leaning towards the possibility that he ate some litter. I really wish he wouldn't do that. I have a ton of pine pellets but he doesn't seem to like them. I thought about setting up another litter box with just that in it and see if he changes his mind.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast with sweet potato did that to my cat.
I didn't know that Fancy Feast had canned food with sweet potatoes. Is that something new?

If Pumpkin's eating more canned food than dry, can that turn his poop a darker color?

I'm still waiting for the vet to call back. I texted the picture in my OP to them and am hoping it will help. As for home visits, I found they don't do those due to lack of manpower but they have telehealth. If they insist on seeing him I will have to find a way to get there.

Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that something new?
If Pumpkin's eating more canned food than dry, can that turn his poop a darker color?
He really seems to like this one flavor of Fancy Feast that I never tried before until the past week or so.
I don't know if the sweet potato is new, but you might check the ingredients of the variety Pumpkin is liking to see if it's included.
Poppycat didn't have darker poop and he always ate more wet than kibble.
There could have been an ingredient change, which pet food manufacturers aren't required to mention, due to supply chain issues, but since you just added this particular variety, his system could be working on adjusting to it.

By the way, I apologize, I feel like a ditz for not mentioning the option of at-home vet visits in my first reply post to you. :doh: but you smart person determined that, good on you and I'm so glad your furbaby has you!

Let us know how things go :vibes::heartshape:

Last edited:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if the sweet potato is new, but you might check the ingredients of the variety Pumpkin is liking to see if it's included.
Poppycat didn't have darker poop and he always ate more wet than kibble.
There could have been an ingredient change, which pet food manufacturers aren't required to mention, due to supply chain issues, but since you just added this particular variety, his system could be working on adjusting to it.

By the way, I apologize, I feel like a ditz for not mentioning the option of at-home vet visits in my first reply post to you. :doh: but you smart person determined that, good on you and I'm so glad your furbaby has you!

Let us know how things go :vibes::heartshape:
I checked the label and there was no mention of sweet potato. I don't have one of those cans in front of me but it seems that one of the ingredients was "natural flavoring," whatever that is.

I'm still waiting for his vet to call back. I sent the text with the above picture of his poop nearly six hours ago and haven't heard anything yet. It must be a busy day.

He's sitting next to me on the couch as I speak....in one of his little beds.

I am so worried about him. I love this little guy with all of my heart. i hope this was just a one off type of thing and that his poop will return to normal. He put up a fight again when I gave him his second dose of medicine but I hope he knows I did it out of love.

Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet called right after I wrote that last post. I was wrong about the date of his last appointment. It wasn't June but September, which makes his weight loss even more concerning. The vet didn't think the stool looked black but just a dark brown.

We agreed to take a wait and see approach but I wish there was a way I could get someone to come here and at least draw some blood for him and send the results to his vet. His doctors don't do house calls.

Not having a car makes this so much worse. When I first adopted Pumpkin nearly 10 years ago he weighed about 14 pounds but has been gradually losing it ever since. In September he was 10.2 pounds and today he was 9.7 if my scale is accurate.

I am scared and could use words of encouragement. I'm going through a rough time myself, health-wise and was recently told I had an abnormal ekg. I can't afford a cardiologist because I don't have insurance.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FF petites new turkey with sweet potato..smelly poop with loud middle of the night explosions :dizzycat:
I will look for it. If Pumpkin's getting constipated again this could help things come out nicely, so to speak! lol

I hope I can get him to gain some weight. I'm going to do some online shopping inc. Chewy and find some of that high caloric gel that's similar to Laxatone. That might help too.

I need to get him to the vet for another checkup soon.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look for it. If Pumpkin's getting constipated again this could help things come out nicely, so to speak! lol

I hope I can get him to gain some weight. I'm going to do some online shopping inc. Chewy and find some of that high caloric gel that's similar to Laxatone. That might help too.

I need to get him to the vet for another checkup soon.
I do not recommend the FF sweetpotato food, but what worked for me like a charm when my cat was constipated was human Mirilax 1/8 tsp dissolved in water and mixed into her food on 2 mornings. (vet suggested)

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not recommend the FF sweetpotato food, but what worked for me like a charm when my cat was constipated was human Mirilax 1/8 tsp dissolved in water and mixed into her food on 2 mornings. (vet suggested)
Miralax is part of what he's already taking. I give him some Miralax mixed in with his laxatone plus some antacid per his vet's instructions. I never thought that a cat could take human medications until they told me to.

He gets medicine twice daily but lately it's been a struggle. He used to cooperate but now if he refuses - like today - I will wipe it on his paw. I know of no other way to do this.

I'm going to shop around again for high calorie cat food. He's eating Kitten Chow now and loves it.
Thanks!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miralax is part of what he's already taking. I give him some Miralax mixed in with his laxatone plus some antacid per his vet's instructions. I never thought that a cat could take human medications until they told me to.

He gets medicine twice daily but lately it's been a struggle. He used to cooperate but now if he refuses - like today - I will wipe it on his paw. I know of no other way to do this.

I'm going to shop around again for high calorie cat food. He's eating Kitten Chow now and loves it.
Thanks!
You could also ask your vet about a topical appetite stimulant rubbed on the ear I mentioned . It has been working for me since I started using it this week. Mirataz. Mirataz Appetite Stimulant Controls Undesired Weight Loss In Cats

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
They appeared to be black but when I put them on a wet wipe I could see brown.
Here's a poop guide

Cat poop colour.png.jpeg

I don't know what to do and I am scared for my baby. Pumpkin seems to be eating ok but as a senior cat, probably around 14 or so, has been sleeping more than when he was younger. He's not acting sick. Btw, I just plopped him on his scale. He weighs 9.7 pounds. At his vet appt last June he was 10.2 pounds. It's only five ounces. Should I be concerned about that too?
Senior cats weigh less as they are unable to digest the food they eat well and therefore loosing muscle mass and such. Here's and article for you to read :- What To Expect As Your Cat Ages – TheCatSite Articles

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our Vet gives us a listing of our cats weight from last several visits whenever we go see them. I just had one in there yesterday and looked at his weight for the last 6 visits. He is about the size of your guy, and the same age. His weight fluctuates like you guys with every visit. It could be the time of day, whether he has just eaten, or had something to drink, or peed or pooped. Our Vet is never concerned about it.

And, to me, his poop color wise, look just fine. It just looks a little dry. Do you add any water to his wet food. You might try doing that. Are you adding his "meds" to his food, or syringing it into his mouth? I found I could add icky meds to foods like FF broths (fish flavors). Their broths aren't just broth, but also have chunks of salmon, tuna, whatever, and I was able to get one of my guys to take his meds in there last time he needed antibiotics. Giving you boy broths would also give him a little more hydration.