Black Mold Spots On Outer Cat Ear

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am afraid that my white and grey tabby may have an issue with his skin.

When we first got him almost 1 year ago he had a couple of small round black spots in the front of the ear area. The inside of the ear itself has always looked pretty clean. I was unable to clean off the spots and if I scratch gently they do not come off, so it doesn't seem to be dirt or a scab. The spot seems like part of the skin and it does not cause him any pain when I touch. It does not look anything like pictures of ear infections or ear mites. It looks like mold!

Today I noticed that the black areas have developed further on both ears. There are more very black round dots and squiggle type shapes. There are also paler black patches.

I massaged the base of his ear and did see a little bit of brown debris inside after that but not much. I noticed he also has the paler black patches on the inside of his mouth. I am attaching a couple of photos.

He was at the vet for a vaccine a couple of months ago and the vet did not say anything after quickly examining his mouth and ears.

Is this just how his skin is or could this be some kind of problem? Seems weird that it would have spread more. The only thing I could find that looked at all similar online was maybe a yeast infection? He scratches his ears occasionally but not like crazy. He is a good weight, gets lots of exercise and eats a lot, just as much or more than our bigger cat.

Attachments

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess the brown debris to be dried ear wax. The black ear spot could be more ear wax. As for the mouth -- I have had cats with black skin patches in their mouth, but it was apparent that they were natural. Again, maybe try another veterinarian? Maybe a cat only vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would guess the brown debris to be dried ear wax. The black ear spot could be more ear wax. As for the mouth -- I have had cats with black skin patches in their mouth, but it was apparent that they were natural. Again, maybe try another veterinarian? Maybe a cat only vet.
Well I thought it must be something stuck on there, but I am not able to rub or scratch anything off. It is like a discoloration of the skin itself.

Does he go outside or is indoor only?
He is indoor only, but he does sometimes escape and runs around in the yard for 5-10 minutes before we bring him back in.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's just pigment spots. Orange cats are known to get "freckles" that frequently cause concern for the owners who don't know that, but I'm pretty sure dark tabbies can get spots too.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I thought it must be something stuck on there, but I am not able to rub or scratch anything off. It is like a discoloration of the skin itself.

He is indoor only, but he does sometimes escape and runs around in the yard for 5-10 minutes before we bring him back in.
My last cat was indoor/outdoor and he would get spots like that. I just thought it was where he had been outside. Basically dirt but, I would think he would have to be out for some period of time for it to be that. Mine use to get it on his chin in his fur right at the bottom of his lip. I don't think it's anything to worry about and will probably go away. The couple spots in the ear do kinda look like freckles like W Willowy stated. Maybe you could send those pics to your vet and see if they think it's something that should be looked at. May save a trip and a bill! Otherwise I think I would give it a week or so and see if it gets worse. If it does make a visit to the vet to check it out. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The mouth picture looks like natural coloration. Cats can get "age" spots and freckles, they have melanin too. I had a white cat named Bogart that got skin cancer on his outer ears, and it started as irregular dark pink crusty spots that got larger and crustier. Not like your picture at all. I would just watch them. If they do grow fast or get crusty or start bleeding, then vet for sure.

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, those look like cat "freckles". My big peach boy gets those. I was worried about skin cancer but my vet checked them and said they're fine. The vet also said that paler kitties are especially prone to get these dark spots, and that he will probably get even more over time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you all very much. I will keep an eye on it and ask the vet next time we go.

Kittenplay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:redheartpump:
Thank you for the info. My white & grey cat has the same issue!

Last edited by a moderator: