black mass in cats ear???

jasoneggleston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girlfriend noticed a black mass in my cats ear today. I have no clue what it is. Can anybody help?

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea. If you don't know what it is though, the best thing to do is get your kitty in to the vet to check it out so you don't end up with worsening problems. Keep us updated, and sending vibes for kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasoneggleston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do plan to take her to the vet. I just wanted to see if I could get an idea before I went.

Possibly ear mites??? it is a really hard mass though.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, but it lokoks really bad Hope the vet is to be seen soon.

When I got Kitty she had massive ear mites. When the vet stuck a q-tip in her ear it came out all gunky black...

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would go to the vet as soon as you can. Even if its nothing serious, it can't be very comfortable for poor kitty. When I got my kitty from the shelter he had a few earmites and we got some drops and it cleared up, it was black too but it was nothing at all like that. Is it bothering your kitty? I he scratching at it or rubbing it?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a severe and long drawn out case of ear mites to me! Off to the vet you go!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just make sure I'd describe the issue to the desk when making the appointment - hopefully it's nothing too horribly serious, but I think I'd like them to get me in ASAP. Actually, knowing me, I'd be calling for an appointment from their parking lot!

Maybe write down any symptoms you or your girlfriend have noticed - headshaking, pawing at the ear, responding, or not, to sounds....any little thing may aid the vet with diagnosis and treatment. Good luck, and let us know what the vet says. Thanks!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Looks like a severe and long drawn out case of ear mites to me! Off to the vet you go!
I have never seen ear mites that looked like that??, but then it is possible. Hopefully it is not serious.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I googled, "black mass in cat's ear" and discovered that the OP has posted on several cat info boards. Same question to everyone and responded back to none of them. I doubt we'll ever know what happened. Poor kitty--hope she's OK.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like ear mites. My Casey had tons of them when he was rescued as a kitten. Please take care of them quickly; they can cause major problems if left untreated. If I recall correctly, we used ointment on his ears twice daily and the problem cleared up fairly quickly. It was so nice to see his cute little pink ears!