Black mark near Beau's nose

the victory & the sin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello everyone.

I noticed this black mark near my cat's nose (right next to his left nostril) yesterday. I feels like a slight, hard bump - almost like a scab but there wasn't any wound that I was aware of. I am going to call my vet tomorrow for advice but I am hesitant to bring him in unless it's necessary (for reasons I will explain below*). I tried googling and looking through this forum and I'm starting to wonder if it could be acne? Or do you think it's something more serious?

*Beau's had a traumatic couple of weeks. Two weeks ago (a Friday night) I took him to the vet because he wasn't feeling well and she said she could feel quite a bit of hard, dry stools when palpating him. He was obviously in pain because he lashed out and because they were closing, she suggested I bring him to the hospital the next day. We brought him to the hospital for an enema on Saturday morning and another on Sunday, neither of which helped. Sunday night he was extremely lethargic and completely out of it. We rushed him back and made the decision to leave him there so they could run a nasoesophageal tube from his nose to his stomach to trickle fluids to the impacted stools. When they took his vitals to start the procedure, they noticed he was running a fever and after some bloodwork, deduced he had an infection, probably from the bacteria from being so backed up. They gave him antibiotics which helped and after 36 hours, they managed to get most of the stool out. We took him home Tuesday night and any of the remaining stool leaked out of him for the next 2-3 days, which was hard on all of us. It's taken him a week to perk back up and start getting back to his previous self, and I know if I drag him back to the vet so soon after that ordeal he won't take it well. But if it's something he needs, obviously I'll take him...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
He is gorgeous 🤩!

I'm wondering if when he lashed out or at some point during all that his nose flap tore a tiny bit ( I'm not sure, maybe I'm not seeing it right), or he got banged or bumped there somehow.

Are you feeding him canned food now? Is he pooping yet? Normally?

This might help too;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the victory & the sin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is gorgeous 🤩!
Thank you. ♥

Are you feeding him canned food now? Is he pooping yet? Normally?
The vet at the hospital said he should go on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fibre Response going forward. We’ve also been giving him wet food to mix 1/4 tsp Restorolax into every day for 5 days, as per her orders. He doesn’t seem too keen on the new kibble but it’s only been a week, so I’m hoping he’ll adjust to it. As for the pooping, he’s been going every other day but the stool has been moist and complete on those days (not small & hard like it used to be).