Black liquid vomit

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20220217_031555.jpg

My cat vomited this,
We have a 5 month old cat,he is named Muffin,on 12th feb a stray cat attacked him,and he was in pain for hours,was limping and there was idk muscle shivering? he wouldn't let us touch his right part of the abdomen coz that's were he was hurt,his nose bled,we don't have a lot of experience when it comes to cats and lets and he is a rescued one,so we thought it was a scratch or muscle pain,he was too shocked and in pain for us to take him to the vet (also he is very young and he gets very scared visitng a vet that he his mouth starts foaming) we didn't want to make the situation worse for him, so we waited a bit,by the night he was eating well,quite active walking pretty well,

Next day he was back to normal running and playing like usual,we checked his abdomen there was no pain,he would let us touch it and won't wince when we touch it, we were quite taken aback how there was no sign of injury and after that there was no problem,

but today i heard a gag sound and then i checked for him but i saw nothing on the ground anywhere,but after sometime i saw this black liquid? Idk if he vomited it or what it is but it might be his vomit and if it was,is their a chance that his abdomen was internally bleeding that day and that caused the nose bleed and some blood stayed in his body up until now turned black and he vomited it?, i pressed his abdomen for past few days to see if his muscles are sore or anything but he doesn't react or shows any sign of pain, should i be worried,is he still bleeding from the inside,or is it something else? Please do help us

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! There are a lot of variables here ranging from Muffin's young age to the fact that he seemed injured, then seemed to feel better, to the fact that you did not actually see him vomit. Oddly enough, vomiting blood is not one of the major signs of internal bleeding. Pale gums, distended abdomen are more common. However, we don't know anything for sure here and I can't say that Muffin is okay or that blood is not coming from someplace. If the fight resulted in actual wounds, those can get infected as well. You need to get him to a vet to be checked, even if he does not like going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for providing with so manu info, he doesn't have pale gums,his abdomen looks normal as i checked, any chance could you tell what might be the cause of internale bleeding if he has one? Or what might have caused his nose bleed (it was after the fight for sure), also when you say "actual wound" does that mean internal wound?

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just checked and it doesn't look like oil to me,or black paint,it's where my cat was sitting,what could it be,we don't have experienced vets here,also i just pressed his abdomen to looks for any discomfort there was none but i regret it now should i not do it?

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should i wait to see if it was actually him who vomited if he vomits again? And gather some symptom ? It's very sudden a d the first time also no evidence if it's my cat,would it help the vet? Also do you think it's blood,sorry i kinda panick when anything happens to him

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wait i think it know what it is,i remember he was chewing on a black tape yesterday,he must have digested it's plasticy layer and vomited it,it has happened before he had swallowed black plastic backs and them vomited it the next day,he got me so worried

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Watch if your kitten is chewing on things like plastic. The wrong ones can cause havoc with the digestive system and will absolutely require a vet, maybe surgery.
How is he today?
Causes of internal bleeding are usually diagnosed by a vet; yes, serious external trauma can cause it, but you still need a vet to step in as it is not manageable on your own. Hopefully this did not happen to your cat though. When I said "actual wound" I did mean an external wound.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband works at a coal mine and when it snows and he walks in the muck his shoes track home gunk that looks exactly like that. Possible anyone walked in something or it dripped off something?? Just a thought. From what I’ve gathered old or blood in the lower intestines comes out looking like coffee grounds. I’ve never seen liquid black vomit, but I’m not a vet. Hope your cat is okay!!

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband works at a coal mine and when it snows and he walks in the muck his shoes track home gunk that looks exactly like that. Possible anyone walked in something or it dripped off something?? Just a thought. From what I’ve gathered old or blood in the lower intestines comes out looking like coffee grounds. I’ve never seen liquid black vomit, but I’m not a vet. Hope your cat is okay!!
Exactly,it was very liquidy no saliva or anything no texture,it was just the plastic he chew like kids do when their new teeth are appearing,thanks for your concer he is completely fine

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Watch if your kitten is chewing on things like plastic. The wrong ones can cause havoc with the digestive system and will absolutely require a vet, maybe surgery.
How is he today?
Causes of internal bleeding are usually diagnosed by a vet; yes, serious external trauma can cause it, but you still need a vet to step in as it is not manageable on your own. Hopefully this did not happen to your cat though. When I said "actual wound" I did mean an external wound.
He is fine,there are no scratches on his body,he only chews thin plastic like tape or plastic bag,he chews plastic bag when it smells like chicken,coz we buy the chicken in a bag,and it was his first time chewing on a tape and we stopped him immediately. He is good now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some plastics will disintegrate in the intestinal tract and form a sort of glue, so try to cure him of the plastic habit. Glad that he is feeling better.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some plastics will disintegrate in the intestinal tract and form a sort of glue, so try to cure him of the plastic habit. Glad that he is feeling better.
It's not really a habit tho he just hasn't learnt what's edible and what's not he'll only eat them if they smell like some food,either way he hasn't ingested any other kind of plastic,he is healthy . Thank you very much for your help. It means a lot.