Black Kitten With White Guard Hairs On Legs

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A long-haired black kitten that turned up at my cat colony has unusually long hair on his front legs with a row of longer white hairs running down each leg, but no white on his back. It's almost like he has leggings on his front legs.

Is there a technical term for this fur pattern?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what you mean; pictures would help.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, a picture would be helpful. Judging by your description, I’m thinking it could be the remnants of a fever coat, which can happen if mom had an infection while pregnant. If this is the case, he will be solid black as an adult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was having camera problems, but got them sorted out. See how he has white hairs on his front legs that are longer than the black coat?

Attachments

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a litter of black kittens, two are black and white. All three of the solid black ones have a tabby pattern, and longer white hairs on their legs, one has quite a bit! They weren't noticeable when they were born, but more so now, I think it's normal and will eventually turn solid black.

Pandi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PXL_20201118_161922400.MP.jpg
This is my little Bellisima, she and her 6 siblings were found in an unused RV when it was sent to a mechanic, in a drawer. The mom had to be feral and was not found. She is losing some of the white hairs now, getting more black. It's really pretty but you can see the difference between 4&1/2 weeks and 9 weeks. Really love the little thing to bits, she's so wonderful. :redheartpump:
PXL_20201018_171347655.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
View attachment 359683
This is my little Bellisima, she and her 6 siblings were found in an unused RV when it was sent to a mechanic, in a drawer. The mom had to be feral and was not found. She is losing some of the white hairs now, getting more black. It's really pretty but you can see the difference between 4&1/2 weeks and 9 weeks. Really love the little thing to bits, she's so wonderful. :redheartpump:
View attachment 359681
HERE the whitish / greyish is clearly the so called fever coat. As you yourself see, they usually grow out of this.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find lots of black kitten has white kitten guard hairs but shed them out by 6 -11 months old :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find lots of black kitten has white kitten guard hairs but shed them out by 6 -11 months old :)
Other colors of kittens get these stray guard hairs too, but they are not as obvious as on black kittens :)