Black kitten with gray/white undercoat ?

Moose7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I recently adopted a new cutie! f

From the day I adopted him the foster mom kept emphasizing his very different coat. He’s mostly black on top, with gray coloring around his neck and back of his ears. His body undercoat is white/gray In different angles you can notice it.THEN he has this rustic orange red color on top of his back?

I’ve been reading post and read about something called Black smoke, but the his rustic coloring throws me off. What do you think?

Very different little guy! Anyone have an adult baby like this? I would love to D80B807C-D99A-40F5-B1BA-D4DBC9E33AB1.jpeg

Attachments

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a smoke tabby, so she's got the black stripey pattern, but each strand of fur is white at the root and black at the tip. In light, it looks red/brown, not unlike my black hair in the sun. The rusty colour on his back might change as he ages too.
"Kittens are born black, but often develop rusty or coppery coats, white or silver hairs, or a lighter ruff and/or undercoat until full adult coat appears at 12-18 months." - Cat Fanciers Association
1591118789730.png

She looked like this as a kitten
1591118982792.png

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a smoke tabby, so she's got the black stripey pattern, but each strand of fur is white at the root and black at the tip. In light, it looks red/brown, not unlike my black hair in the sun. The rusty colour on his back might change as he ages too.
"Kittens are born black, but often develop rusty or coppery coats, white or silver hairs, or a lighter ruff and/or undercoat until full adult coat appears at 12-18 months." - Cat Fanciers Association
View attachment 337148
She looked like this as a kitten
View attachment 337149
Your cat is a black smoke, not a tabby :) Black cats can have a brown appearance, especially if they sun bathe a lot. All kittens are tabbies, even the solid colors, usually as they age the tabby markings go away but it's not always the case. Sometimes you can see it in certain light even as adults, like ghost markings.

Moose7 your stunning beauty is a black smoke yes. :)