Black Dots on Fur, No Itching

thatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have noticed this for quite a few months. My cat has pure white fur on a majority of his body, except for his tail, a patch on both ears, and one small patch on each of his legs. Since I noticed the dots, I have not seen an increase in itching/grooming and the dots are only seen near the bottom of his back near his legs. The dots seem to be mainly on the skin or the base of the hair and become more obvious after he is scratched/brushed. When I took him to the vet for a check up in the winter, the vet glanced at the dots and said they were no big deal, but I am still concerned. At first I thought it might just be dirt, but it has not gone away. It’s probably nothing, but I am still worried for him. I have another cat, a calico, and she does not have these dots so I don’t think that whatever it is is contagious. I have included some pictures below. I know it’s probably nothing, but any additional help would be great!

EB84368B-27FE-47F7-9CF6-A450EAA73F14.jpeg
FB74EB9D-A35F-432D-938C-E54D579CA735.jpeg
4D7E63FF-66AC-4AA7-8514-95EE532156ED.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That sure looks like flea dirt! Have you flea combed both of your cats, just to be sure it isn't that? If not, I would start there. If you find no fleas, you can try doing daily brushings to see if that reduces or eliminates the black dots. Mites is another possibility, but would likely be on your other cat as well.

However, based on your description of the location, there is a strong possibility that he doesn't groom that area as well - perhaps from some arthritis or excess weight causing it to be more difficult to reach that area? The brushing would help from this aspect.

Did you by chance ask the vet what they thought it was, if it is no big deal? I would call them and ask just to see what they say.

Hopefully other members will come along soo and have some other ideas to offer!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that looks like flea dirt. Comb some out and put it on a wet paper towel---if it's flea dirt it will turn red.

Sometimes cats don't itch from fleas. For this reason they're sometimes considered "carriers" if you have a dog in the house, because the cat can bring the fleas to the dog without ever looking itchy.

If it is fleas, ask your vet to recommend a product. They'll probably sell it to you without requiring a visit.

datranch37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably fleas dirt or acne, both can be solved easily so no need to worry :)
Get him an anti-flea product (just in case), I administer a dose on my cat once a month even if he doesn't have fleas (Revolution or something similar). It's so easy to use, and prevents fleas, ear mites, worms, etc...
Acne is unlikely (usually it's on the chin of the cat), but there's no harm in treatment: You can comb away that dirt, and use some gauze fabric and rose water to clean it well. Keep doing that for a few days and then come back to us with results :)

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get a flea comb. My guess is the cat has fleas, and pretty bad case of them. Get a good flea treatment and you may have to treat your home.