Black crust on cats nose bridge

juliaannmarie22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 3 months old. Ever since I got her ( 8 weeks old) she has had this black crust on her nose. You can peel it off underneath it its like a brown reddish color. I have done A LOT of research but cant find anything. I have a vet appointment set for February for when we actually have money for it. Im really concerned cause I have never seen something like this. Please help

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like blood to me, or a discharge with blood mixed in. She may have a 'kitty cold', which is the feline herpes virus, VERY common to kittens and NOT transferrable to humans. She looks thin too, is she eating enough? Kittens should eat at least 4 times a day, as much as they want, or a couple of times a day with kibble left out. If she is sick she wouldn't eat as much either. She needs a cat heat pad for warmth, lots of humidity, (you might bring her in to a steamy bathroom after a shower for 15-20 minutes) and get her some DMG to boost her immune system if you can. It COULD be a wound also. You might soak it and clean it with a cat wound spray put on a small piece of rag (cats hate the spraying sound) and see if you can clean it up. It looks like she has some eye discharge too, that is what makes me think of a kitty cold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliaannmarie22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like blood to me, or a discharge with blood mixed in. She may have a 'kitty cold', which is the feline herpes virus, VERY common to kittens and NOT transferrable to humans. She looks thin too, is she eating enough? Kittens should eat at least 4 times a day, as much as they want, or a couple of times a day with kibble left out. If she is sick she wouldn't eat as much either. She needs a cat heat pad for warmth, lots of humidity, (you might bring her in to a steamy bathroom after a shower for 15-20 minutes) and get her some DMG to boost her immune system if you can. It COULD be a wound also. You might soak it and clean it with a cat wound spray put on a small piece of rag (cats hate the spraying sound) and see if you can clean it up. It looks like she has some eye discharge too, that is what makes me think of a kitty cold.
Every morning I leave out maybe 3/4 cup of food out and doesnt eat it all by the next morning. I just woke up and she’s breathing really loud like shes stuffed up or something. Right now she also has something red on her tear duct with green discharge. I think she also has a hard time eating which could be why she doesnt eat a lot but she also drools a lot and her breathe smells

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As you have added some symptoms, I think that February is a long time to wait for the vet if there is any way you can manage to get her in sooner, use Care Credit or some other payment method.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliaannmarie22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As you have added some symptoms, I think that February is a long time to wait for the vet if there is any way you can manage to get her in sooner, use Care Credit or some other payment method.
I emailed an emergency vet where I live and they are very expensive. They told me to see if I qualify for care credit so I went and tried and I do not qualify. She is usually very hyper but today she’s sleeping and lethargic. I dont have the money rn so I dont know what to do.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would gt some DMG on order to build up her immune system. Get some lickable treats to try to tempt her to eat. Lots of humidity, I think it is a virus. Especially with the eye discharge. Gently wipe her eyes with a warm wet rag a couple of times a day.