Black cats with white spot

morra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat also has some white color on its chest. I have read that white color on the colored fur is caused by white spotting gene.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think there's a theory that claims that pure black cats were hunted down during the Middle Ages by people who thought they were the devil's cats, or something like that. If a cat had even a few white hairs it would mean they were ok. Only the pure black ones were killed. Basically, pure black cats became near-extinct. Not sure if it's true or not, but it's an interesting theory.

I hope Prof. Lyons can comment about the genetics behind this.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am curious also about this.  My little black boy has a few white hairs--maybe 5 or 6--on his chest, certainly not enough to be called a spot.  There are also a white hair or two in his ears.  Other than that he is entirely black.

lovely cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is very interesting. I have a black cat who has only a few white hairs on her chest. What can cause this?

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy,

There are genes in the cat that cause white spotting and all white but the random spots on the chest and belly may have a genetic component or may not.  This is the area where you have midline closure in the developing embryo.  If the cells that make color do not make it to the middle - you can have midline spots.  Kind of like a clip lip or a cleft palate or an umbilical hernia.  Mainly random events and can happen with any color cat!