Black Cats Only

purplepeapod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG
It's kind of spring and kind of summer -- and definitely shedding season -- over here in Southern California.

I'm constantly amazed by how such a black cat can have such white fur 'roots'. Also, I have brushed off enough fur in the last few days to make another cat.

Porter's seven months and a bit over 8 lbs. he's definitely gaining on the dog. He's quite he stunner, and starts every day by making his rounds to give us, Waldo the dog included, a morning kiss, and in my case, the odd, highly involved and wettish chomping of the bridge of my nose (a bit gross but still very sweet). I just discovered that Waldo tries to groom Porter, and that Porter actually lets him. Such delightfully odd boys. I love them so.

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hickory's eyes are beautiful! I hope Binx's settle into a similar color - they're sort of golden/olive-y right now.

Here's some of him in his favorite sleeping position: upside down with his paws in the air. His fur has gotten much silkier in the last week, although there's still kitten fuzz all over the place.

IMG_2549.jpg 51535144303__3042F2C1-0942-443C-85AD-BFDB8E4B379A.jpg IMG_2532.jpg

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
View attachment 178924 View attachment 178922 View attachment 178920 It's kind of spring and kind of summer -- and definitely shedding season -- over here in Southern California.

I'm constantly amazed by how such a black cat can have such white fur 'roots'. Also, I have brushed off enough fur in the last few days to make another cat.

Porter's seven months and a bit over 8 lbs. he's definitely gaining on the dog. He's quite he stunner, and starts every day by making his rounds to give us, Waldo the dog included, a morning kiss, and in my case, the odd, highly involved and wettish chomping of the bridge of my nose (a bit gross but still very sweet). I just discovered that Waldo tries to groom Porter, and that Porter actually lets him. Such delightfully odd boys. I love them so.
Are all his black hairs white at the roots? That would make him a Black Smoke, I had one like that a long time ago. He would appear to be all black until you rub his fur backwards or part it down to the skin which is when the white would show.

purplepeapod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are all his black hairs white at the roots? That would make him a Black Smoke, I had one like that a long time ago. He would appear to be all black until you rub his fur backwards or part it down to the skin which is when the white would show.
How interesting! Yes, all his roots are white. Does this mean he will 'grey' like humans do when he's older? When we first adopted him, he had a lot of silver/white hairs streaking his spine and tail. They have mostly vanished, and he is darker black (sounds weird, I know... I guess it's better to say he is more black now when he used to be the collor of a really dirty dust bunny) and shinier, maybe because of better food than at the shelter (?), or just lost his kitten fuzz. He was frizzy when he was little! lol

We call him "off-black," since I have always had black cats growing up, but Porter's coloring is different... he has purpley paws (I read somene calling them "lilac") and his tail is not quite as black as the rest of him.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a black shorthair who has stray white hairs, nothing to worry about. His paw pads are also a little purpley but mostly black. Some cats do indeed go a little gray as they get really old but most do not.

You may want to google "Nightflash Persians"and then "Smoke Article", it's a site that tells you all about Black Smoke Persians which apparently is what you have from the picture and your description although he seems to be a mix (ears are not round, face not round and not flat), he does have the fur and the bushy tail. Mainly it tells you about Black Smoke which is rather rare but has been around for over 100 years. They are usually longhaired cats. There are also Blu Smoke which are grey cats with white roots and not as desirable. Be sure to read about what the kittens' color looks like and how their color changes until they are fully grown.

Let's see lots of pictures of him as he grows.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting! My black cat is like that. He has some grey showing at his armpits and little tuffs behind his ears. So cute!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 does your black cat also have white roots on all of his fur? Maybe we need a thread with Smoke Cats? The one I had was before every Tom, Dick and Harry or Jane had a computer so I have no pics of my Teddy who was a Black Smoke. He had Feline Aids before cats were tested for that, I got him from a shelter and he was with me for a year before he went to the rainbow bridge.
Let's see pics of your black beauty.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 does your black cat also have white roots on all of his fur? Maybe we need a thread with Smoke Cats? The one I had was before every Tom, Dick and Harry or Jane had a computer so I have no pics of my Teddy who was a Black Smoke. He had Feline Aids before cats were tested for that, I got him from a shelter and he was with me for a year before he went to the rainbow bridge.
Let's see pics of your black beauty.
Yup he does have light grey roots! He certainly is a black beauty. :) i think you can see his gray fur sticking out in one of the older photos. I feel like some of the grey has disappeared recently (more recent 2nd pic). But his roots are still light.

Attachments

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is NOT a Black Smoke. Those have totally white roots, not grey. You have a pretty black cat many of which have that grey to their coat when they are young which may totally disappear when older.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was Hester's first birthday so I took this picture of her. She's hard to photograph, but I think I finally got one that shows her beautiful face.

View attachment 179334
This is one beautiful black shorthaired cat. He looks like my Panthera, a housepanther if there ever was one, he just caught a bird (and ate half of one before I took it away from him when he brought it in from the second storey patio), ( I guess flies were not enough which he also catches).
Sorry, no pics, I get a message that the file is too big and I see no way to make it smaller. I hate this new site, I can't download pics, it was so easy before. Those of us who are not techie don't like it at all. All the old pics are gone too.