Black Cats Only

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Black cats are so so maligned. We still have to make sure they don't get outside, especially around the end of  October  because some weirdo thinks they are "cats from hell".  They are the sweetest, most affectionate cats I have ever had the honor to be owned by. My cat, Panthera, has pale green/blue eyes, they call them "sea foam" and that color is apparently rather rare. I don't care, he is just  a sweet cat who loves just about everybody , rolling on his back for anyone to rub his tummy  if he doesn't climb into their lap right away. He was found 2 years ago, sporting no collar but a microchip which unfortunately was out of date. His previous owners did not keep up info so all  we could find was which town he had come from (about 2 miles from here). After putting up signs for 6 weeks while a foster mom was caring for him he was put up for adoption. Of course the fact that the foster mom had thought he was a girl ( he was neutered and thus did not have a VERY obvious male physique) did not help to find his previous family. It did not take me but a day to find that this handsome, affectionate cat was a neutered BOY. The foster had called him "Black Girl", obviously that name had to go and since he looked like a miniature panther, sleek and all black, he got the name Panthera. We have been happy together ever since although he has to share his forever home with a silver Persian and a seal-point Birman, both adopted, not bought and quite a few years older than he is.  

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please make your kitty an indoor cat. Indoor cats live much longer than outdoor cats. Indoor cats live up to 30 years, outdoor cats live 2-4 years. They are exposed to wild animals (raccoons, coyotes etc), dogs, CARS, mean people etc. If you keep your cat indoors long enough, no matter how much he whines and complains and makes a pain of himself, he will eventually prefer the inside where he is safe. They are called "house cats" for a good reason. Please keep your cat inside if you love him. You would not let your toddler go outside just because he wanted to, would you? Cats only have the intelligence of a toddler.  

darkdays

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Shadow was born an outside cat,literally he was born from a feral cat that abandon him.Yes we made sure he was abandon before taking any action as to take him.You can't keep a cat inside a house if they never in all there years been inside one.So cats that you adopt from a center yes you can,but taking one from outside who is an adult now is a no no.Even trying to force them as you suggest is a really bad idea.Forcing a cat to change can cause stress on the cat,which in return can cause illness.It can even make your cat not like you anymore and make the cat prone to escaping.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

Kingdom Kitty known as KiKi - our first in a long time.  He came to us from our daughter in 2004.  We now have 13 cats living inside with us, and another 6+ (feral born) outside. 

Our daughter found him when he was about 3 weeks old - in her garden.  She already had two cats, one dog, and 5 children.  She called me, and even though I had other plans for my retirement years - I finally agreed to take him.  Boy!  What I would have missed out on by not having him in our life is too heartbreaking to think of.  

He's our oldest, and the most loving, the most social and well,  ... you know. :)  He's my bed pal - sleeps with his head on my shoulder.  Nothing like purring to put me to sleep. 

It's hard to get a good pic of a black cat because of their color - but this day I think I was able to catch him in good light.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An adult feral cat needs to stay one, it can never be tamed. However, if you get a feral kitten not more than 3 months old you most certainly can turn it back into an indoor house cat. Our cat club takes care of a small feral colony, we grab the kittens as soon as we can after they are weaned, and sometimes before when we have to bottle feed them, and every one of those kittens has found a good home. We do not allow anyone to let a house cat roam outside. The ferals go through TNR and get their ears notched as a sign that they have gone through TNR. They keep the rodent population down but unfortunately also become coyote lunch themselves. Our wild ducks that hang around the golf course ponds and the wild bunnies also suffer the same fate but coyotes have to eat too, that's nature. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gloria-you got him just right, he's gorgeous. The trick to getting a good picture of a black cat is to take a whole bunch of them at the same time. Act like you are not even there, just let the cat do its thing, keep taking pics and eventually you will get one that is just right. Make sure the cat is not looking straight at you or you will get those "monster eyes" that glow in the dark. 

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

Gloria-you got him just right, he's gorgeous. The trick to getting a good picture of a black cat is to take a whole bunch of them at the same time. Act like you are not even there, just let the cat do its thing, keep taking pics and eventually you will get one that is just right. Make sure the cat is not looking straight at you or you will get those "monster eyes" that glow in the dark. 
Thanks!  yes - those ghost eyes sure do ruin a pic!  

He turned his head just as I was taking the pic - good thing, too 'cause I wouldn't have been able to post KiKi with ghost eyes!!  

Welcome to the TCS segelkatt!  Have you posted in the forum to introduce new members?  

An adult feral cat needs to stay one, it can never be tamed. However, if you get a feral kitten not more than 3 months old you most certainly can turn it back into an indoor house cat. Our cat club takes care of a small feral colony, we grab the kittens as soon as we can after they are weaned, and sometimes before when we have to bottle feed them, and every one of those kittens has found a good home. We do not allow anyone to let a house cat roam outside. The ferals go through TNR and get their ears notched as a sign that they have gone through TNR. They keep the rodent population down but unfortunately also become coyote lunch themselves. Our wild ducks that hang around the golf course ponds and the wild bunnies also suffer the same fate but coyotes have to eat too, that's nature. 
Well, segelkatt, you've made quite a statement here by saying that an adult feral can never be tamed.

I've gotta tell you - with patience there can be progress towards taming/socializing.  

I'm experiencing that with the feral-born that I care for.

Bringing them inside to live with you, and a with a great deal of patience, it can be done.  It is a lot of work, and not for the 'faint of heart".  

They may not be as social as hand raising a 6-week old kitten, or even a 3-month old kitten, but most will eventually come around.

I think what you are doing for the feral-born around you is wonderful and a great work of compassion. 

Ooops, I think this thread is about or for Black Cats Only. :), so back to the topic, sorry.

Last edited:

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My handsome boy Max...lives with my parents but we've had him (and his black and white brother) since I was fourteen. He gets mad at me for leaving him - the first day I'm back he ignores me except to bite if I come close, then the next day he'll wake me up by sitting on my head at 6am and we're buddies again. I've never known a more intelligent cat. Or a cat with such a sweet tooth...weirdo.

Ahhh I miss him! I get to see him in three weeks!