Black Cat With Blue Eyes

Why does my black cat sometimes have teal eyes and sometimes they are sky blue?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brenda6340

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her name is beauty just to look at her , her eyes look black if you look really close up they appear three colors but when she gets her picture take they are either sky blue or teal. How common is this.
20170720_145221.jpg

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B Brenda6340 - Nearly all blue-eyed (adult) cats owe their eye colour to Siamese genetics, the blue eye colour resulting from a mutation that affects tyrosinase, one of the enzymes involved with melanin production, linked with the cs gene. Because of this pigment restriction, the eyes appear blue because the top layer of the iris is not covered in another color, allowing the blue show through. The back of the eye is also lacking in pigment, giving these cats' pupils a strange red reflection in the dark, and allowing the eyes to change shades of blue with varying lighting.

Blue-eyed black cats are an example of incomplete genetic dominance - an hypermelanistic cat who carries, and partially expresses, the temperature-sensitive albino gene found in the Siamese - and the Tonkinese is the best possibility for immediate ancestry in blue-eyed black cats. The word, "rare," is so overused on today's world that it has almost no meaning, but in the case of a blue-eyed black cat, the word, "rare," can be used without a second thought.

There's a second possibility, even rarer, however - the Ojos Azules Cats of New Mexico have naturally-occurring blue eyes which aren't linked to the cs gene, and which are, now and then, seen in solid black:

Ojos Azules - Wikipedia

If her tail tip is spatulate - that is, flattened down at the end - you can almost bet that she is an Ojos Azules.

Beauty is just that - and absolute beauty, along with being a genuine rarity.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I have never seen that before! :jawdrop:

Absolutely gorgeous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brenda6340

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her tail dont seem to be flat like a spatula her momma came from a main coon mix breed whos fathers breed is unknown her momma snuck out and got pregnant by an unknown stray

Brenda6340

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe she was born the first saturday in april

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Your kid is also very cute and has beautiful eyes as well. I think your kitty fits in well to your family. Are you all blue eyed?

Brenda6340

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes my whole family has blue eyes

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
B Brenda6340

Hey I have a black kitty with blue eyes too!!! His name is Sirius and eyes almost look black in most lighting. He is 4 and 1/2 months old. Here he is with his brother Remus:

Snapchat-1513671844.jpg

Snapchat-187306821.jpg

TracyLovinCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is so awesome to see and read! I never thought twice about my cat's blue eyes other than how beautiful they are and how I never could get a picture of them without them reflecting red!! Her pupils are always huge unless she is sun bathing and then they are still fairly large. 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine do you know if her baby blues causes any sight issues? She is the only cat I've ever known to hardly ever land on her feet! Her name is Figaro and she is mostly black with some white. And one of the most people loving affectionate cats I've ever known or seen!

Attachments

TracyLovinCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Figaro makes my daughters' and my life so happy! They love her so much they fight over who can touch her!
I found a few pics to add of her. One is on the day we found her and her sister (her sister is mostly black).
Hope y'all enjoy!!
IMG_20170831_160631~2.jpg

IMG_20170831_160631~2.jpg
IMG_20170107_211409825.jpg