Black Cat Turning White And Brown???

shanzx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I've been having a weird situation with my 3 year old black cat. Her name is Sass and she's a DSH. I recently adopted her and her stomach was a bit white but over the past few months she has started to have more and more white/grey hair all over her body. Not to mention that the last time we visited the vet they had to shave her neck for a blood test and all that hair is growing white as well. Not sure if I should be concerned. I read that it could be a medical issue or old age. But she's only 3 and she seems to be completely fine otherwise. I've attached some pictures to show you what her coat looks like in the sun and her neck too. Should I take her to the vet? 56149943855__B7E1E74B-976C-4A48-B356-C921A21DC4E0.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_3773.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know, I can't really tell from your photos but she looks like she might be a big breed? In other words, that she's maturing late and changing coat color is part of that? She looks gorgeous :)

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So are you the other person who posted these and more photos on the other thread? I looked at those photos there too and to me I can’t really tell anything. My male black cat has sprinkles of white hair all over him. His mom was a tuxedo so I think it comes from her. Nothing wrong with that and he gets more here and there occasionally.
Now you did say his neck was shaved and that’s where the hair is growing back wierd. That sounds about right. Cats aren’t really meant to be shaved so when you remove their hair it tends to grow back weird. In the pics you shared it just looks to me that his undercoat is growing in and undercoats are a lighter color and appear not as black (grayish/brownish) as the top coat. It’s likely the shave damaged his top coat and it’s just having a hard time growing back. It may never grow back quite the same as before but it’s not something to worry about in my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shanzx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know, I can't really tell from your photos but she looks like she might be a big breed? In other words, that she's maturing late and changing coat color is part of that? She looks gorgeous :)
Thank you so much! She’s an angel and maybe so. Her vet appointments coming up soon so I’ll ask his opinion but otherwise she’s completely her normal and naughty self.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shanzx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So are you the other person who posted these and more photos on the other thread? I looked at those photos there too and to me I can’t really tell anything. My male black cat has sprinkles of white hair all over him. His mom was a tuxedo so I think it comes from her. Nothing wrong with that and he gets more here and there occasionally.
Now you did say his neck was shaved and that’s where the hair is growing back wierd. That sounds about right. Cats aren’t really meant to be shaved so when you remove their hair it tends to grow back weird. In the pics you shared it just looks to me that his undercoat is growing in and undercoats are a lighter color and appear not as black (grayish/brownish) as the top coat. It’s likely the shave damaged his top coat and it’s just having a hard time growing back. It may never grow back quite the same as before but it’s not something to worry about in my opinion.

Yes I am! I was freaking out for a few days haha. But she seems perfectly healthy so I’m no longer super concerned. But I think you may be right the shaving definitely had an affect. She loves laying in the sun so I think that’s whats causing the brownish colour but otherwise I think we’re good. Yeah I don’t know much about her history. They rescued her as a feral abandoned but thank you for your response and help.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a black cat. There is definitely a lighter undercoat and always has been. You don't really see it unless you look. When I brush her, the hair in the brush is gray, which I find weird, but what do I know. When she sheds it is black and the hairs are straight, as opposed to the gray undercoat that is more almost downy in texture. She has one white hair that I have ever seen. Her babies were black, black and white, and tabby. In bright natural light there is a brownishness to her hair color, but she is pure black in most light. Where she was shaved to be spayed the hair came back totally black just like the rest of her.

If it were me, I would take my cat to the vet just for a check and to run the color change by someone who had more knowledge than I do. If you have an appointment coming up that would probably be good enough for me, but I would want it checked. If your pictures are accurate, that's a significant change. It could very well be maturation or sun effects.