Black cat names

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any panther-type name would be good: Pantera/Pantero (not a Spanish-speaker--mebbe somebody can help), Panthro (TV cartoon character) or maybe just Panther. You could name him Blake, as a corruption of black, or even Schwartz (German for black).

A friend of mine says cats are born with a name and it remains for us to figure out what that name is.
The scientific name for panther is Panthera. I like that.

This probably will not help the OP, but a professional football team in Charlotte is called the Panthers. So my name for a female all-black cat would be Charlotte because I am a huge NFL fan.

Other good black cat names would be Ebony and Onyx.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sylorna .. how goes it with your new baby boy ? did you settle on a name ? Peanut has effectively taken over the house :lol::lovecat2:. She has been here just over a month already ! how quickly they catch on .. she is such a good little girl. makes no trouble at all. So happy with her ! how are things settling on your end ? you have not had your baby quite as long yet....

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sylorna .. how goes it with your new baby boy ? did you settle on a name ? Peanut has effectively taken over the house :lol::lovecat2:. She has been here just over a month already ! how quickly they catch on .. she is such a good little girl. makes no trouble at all. So happy with her ! how are things settling on your end ? you have not had your baby quite as long yet....
Hey Cindy!
Had some bad news yesterday. I took Coal to the vet and he thinks he may have FIV. Going to need to book an appointment during the week so he has more vet techs on hand for a blood sample because Coal wiggles so badly.
We are treating his eyes with antibiotics, both oral and drops. He gave me some enzymes that apparently help if it's a virus too. Antivirals are hard to get ahold of, because Covid.
He has some sort of viral gingivitis that he says I can't treat for and will ultimately result in removing his teeth down the line.
I really struggled yesterday. Our other cat is dieing from breast cancer and we are going day by day with her. I got Coal as a happy respite for the family and am faced with a chronically sick animal. Again. My heart is broken over it. After much consideration I've decided to support him the best I can but to be practical about it (for example I may let him go rather than remove all of his teeth when that time comes, but I'll try to do some measures to slow the progress). It's because of the combo of the eyes and the gingivitis that he thinks he has FIV 😞
He is wonderful and sweet and playful and perfect otherwise. I feel cursed to have sick cats and this may be my last as a result. I cant do it. It's too painful.
I haven't changed his name. Almost did this week to "Poe" but his name seems so unimportant now. I'll probably just keep the name Coal.

Peanut is so cute! Brown tabbys are my daughters favorite. If we ever get her a cat it will probably look like Peanut! She looks so sweet!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do very well with no teeth, I have even had them eat hard food. Cats seem to swallow much of their food anyway. I have also had cats that have had several teeth removed and they act as nothing happened. FIV is almost always fatal in kittens, it is good he is older. i will pray it is not FIV......

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw, Sylorna !! I am so sorry to hear Coal is having issues ! that is discouraging !! :sigh: after caring for Bella for 13 years, taking on another chronically ill pet would not be on my radar either .. BUT if it happened, I would deal with it , as I am sure you will !! Maybe he came to you because you CAN deal with it , and that is saying something !:goldstar: FIV is a challenge, but not impossible to live with . as for teeth, I know of cats who have had them removed, and lived just fine , on wet food only. My kitty Bella had the viral eye disease her whole life. It is a herpes virus .. like the cold sores we get in our mouths' but in her EYES .. the poor thing .. and they would be a MESS when she would have an outbreak ! they passed from momma kitty to her in birth canal . Not contagious to humans, but is to other cats, so that is why I only had Bella all that time. good news... it is easy to treat ! it responded well to Lysine powder ! a little powder I mixed into food 2X a day . it breaks the viral cycle , and prevented outbreaks. I only saw her eyes bothering her as secondary infection , if the stress of another illness...like a bowel impaction ..was at hand.. I pray all will turn around for Coal ( cute name !) and I am sorry to hear your other kitty is near passing from Cancer. . Im glad to hear Coal is sweet and playful , except for his current health issues.. and I know with a little extra precations FIV cats can live a normal , long life. please keep me posted ! I know when I first got Bella , she was deathly ill. she spent the first 3 weeks fighting for her life with me. raging ear, eye and upper respiratory infections .. on 4 different medications. My son even came to me crying .. "is she gonna make it? "" I told him I would do my best for her " .. she pulled thru .. and the next 13 years she was my best little buddy. I remember telling my vet " I dont know if I want a cat thats going to be sick all the time " .. the vet said " give her a chance ..she'll be worth it " ... she was right. .. I pray the same for you guys !!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would research and definitely get your cat on DMG, a liquid you give on a little bit of their food, or a lickable treat that helps to build up their immune systems. It is online at Walmart and Amazon and most likely any pet med site. My cats have leukemia and though once in a while they still get ill, it is not near as bad. They have completely quit getting feline herpes flareups, which they got quite often when they were younger.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We named the black and white cat we took in Noir, so that could be a suggestion 😊 something I try with names is that I take a word I want to use, and translate it in a couple of languages, so that could be a tip

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We named the black and white cat we took in Noir, so that could be a suggestion. Something I try with names is that I take a word I want to use, and translate it in a couple of languages, so that could be a tip.
That is what makes the name Bella (but interestingly, not Belle) extremely popular. Many people have beautiful cats.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know if you're still thinking of name changes, but my sister has a black cat she named Binx after the cat in Hocus Pocus.

I'm so sorry to hear about your new kitty's health issues. I wish you the best in working with them. Please let us know how Coal is doing once you have more information. :hugs:

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would research and definitely get your cat on DMG, a liquid you give on a little bit of their food, or a lickable treat that helps to build up their immune systems. It is online at Walmart and Amazon and most likely any pet med site. My cats have leukemia and though once in a while they still get ill, it is not near as bad. They have completely quit getting feline herpes flareups, which they got quite often when they were younger.
I couldn't find much on it. What is the long version of DMG (what does it stand for?)

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I abandoned the search for a name in the emotional wake of last week's vet news. He has developed 3 names thus far.
I call him Coco (from coal)
My husband calls him "spoopy" from some internet person who said spooky wrong.
We all call him Coal.
I posted a health update on my post in the health section. Man I hate giving meds!