Black Cat Has No Hair On Lips. Normal?

Jamesf553

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.

I have fostered and adopted 2 little black DSH cats (they were about 2 months old when i got them from the fostering agency).

They are now approximately 6 months old and are great little kitties however I noticed that 1 of them has white lips, or no hair there. Is this normal? It doesn't bother her and her appetite/behavior is normal. I just want to make sure. She's been like that ever since I got here from the agency.

Attachments

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the other cat actually have fur there or is it just black and this cats lips are a different color so it is more noticeable?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all.

I have fostered and adopted 2 little black DSH cats (they were about 2 months old when i got them from the fostering agency).

They are now approximately 6 months old and are great little kitties however I noticed that 1 of them has white lips, or no hair there. Is this normal? It doesn't bother her and her appetite/behavior is normal. I just want to make sure. She's been like that ever since I got here from the agency.
What food are you feeding the kitten? Are you using the same food that she's eaten since young, if you're saying her lips have been like that since 2 mos old? It is possible that the kitten is having (or has developed) some allergic reactions (skin hypersensitivities) to some ingredient(s) in the food you might be feeding (and it is possible that the other kitten is not allergic, since all cats are different). I would first try taking a look at the diet.

It could also be caused from other allergens in the environment, too. Or stem from other things a veterinarian could likely determine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jamesf553

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does the other cat actually have fur there or is it just black and this cats lips are a different color so it is more noticeable?
That may be the case it's kind of hard to tell. My other cat (i'm not sure to be honest if they are sisters or not) has the same thing only it's not as noticeable. It is a smaller outline around the lips so you don't really notice it.

What food are you feeding the kitten? Are you using the same food that she's eaten since young, if you're saying her lips have been like that since 2 mos old? It is possible that the kitten is having (or has developed) some allergic reactions (skin hypersensitivities) to some ingredient(s) in the food you might be feeding (and it is possible that the other kitten is not allergic, since all cats are different). I would first try taking a look at the diet.

It could also be caused from other allergens in the environment, too. Or stem from other things a veterinarian could likely determine.
I have been feeding them a bunch of different stuff to be honest. Evo kitten Wet/Dry, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten wet/dry, and Nature's Variety Instinct wet Rabbit.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is mostly black (a tuxedo) and her lips are off-whitish. I think that is fine.

It's hard to really tell from your single photo, but it does look like there is loss of hair extending down a bit on your kitty's chin. Which is why I brought up the possibility of allergies from perhaps ingredient(s) in food. I usually try to aim for grain-free food, as a start.

shae.bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any way we can get an updated photo of how your kitties lips turned out as it aged? I’m curious to know if the lips turned out to be pink.
My adult black cat has pink lips, and due to him being a rescue I don’t have any photos of him as a kitten, and I’ve never seen pink lips on any other black cats before. I’ve scoured google, IG, forums to no avail. It’d be cool to see what he might have looked like growing up :)

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a black cat with no fur on her lips as well. She was born that way - maybe just an odd black cat thing? I've never seen it in other cats.

Chrispyloco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any way we can get an updated photo of how your kitties lips turned out as it aged? I’m curious to know if the lips turned out to be pink.
My adult black cat has pink lips, and due to him being a rescue I don’t have any photos of him as a kitten, and I’ve never seen pink lips on any other black cats before. I’ve scoured google, IG, forums to no avail. It’d be cool to see what he might have looked like growing up :)

Hi, i'm in the same boat as you, my black cat Lucky had black lips and nose up until about a month ago, but gradually both turned pink! Did yours ever revert back to black? Also cant find anything about it online, vets suggested it was a food allergy or vitiligo