Black Cat Doesn't Like Heat

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I swear these COVID kittens are like nothing I've seen before as an experienced cat owner and former fosterer.

Calcifer will be one year next week. Vet says he's fine. He's really sensitive to heat. He is black, I've had many black cats in my life before including long haired.

We've ordered a marble tile for him to lay on but it's only been 20C. He has a slight cold that Nobel brought back from the vet during his minor operation but the vet says to monitor at home. Hydration is good but any tips would be very much appreciated.

He doesn't particularly lay in the sun and we have fan on plus the basement stays cooler and he has access. He likes watching the birds at the back (inside) where it's shaded during the day. He seems to run hotter than the other two though.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear these COVID kittens are like nothing I've seen before as an experienced cat owner and former fosterer.

Calcifer will be one year next week. Vet says he's fine. He's really sensitive to heat. He is black, I've had many black cats in my life before including long haired.

We've ordered a marble tile for him to lay on but it's only been 20C. He has a slight cold that Nobel brought back from the vet during his minor operation but the vet says to monitor at home. Hydration is good but any tips would be very much appreciated.

He doesn't particularly lay in the sun and we have fan on plus the basement stays cooler and he has access. He likes watching the birds at the back (inside) where it's shaded during the day. He seems to run hotter than the other two though.
Of course black cats feel the heat much more than white or light colors cats. This is the reason why generally balck cats tend to lay in the shade or away from the sun.
I know there are refrigerating pads for pets. They do not need power, they work on their own. I tried them once, but my cats didn't like them. I don't know how your floors are. My floor is tiled, and my cats lay on the tiles, mainly where the sun can't reach through the windows, ad they change tile often to look for a fresher one.

You might want to dab your black cat with a wet cloth, mainly on and around his head, a few times a day, or especially during hotter hours.

I didn't understand the "COVID kittens" part...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably means a pet that was adopted / acquired during the early days of the pandemic.

TCS has an article with keeping cats cool during hot weather:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course black cats feel the heat much more than white or light colors cats. This is the reason why generally balck cats tend to lay in the shade or away from the sun.
I know there are refrigerating pads for pets. They do not need power, they work on their own. I tried them once, but my cats didn't like them. I don't know how your floors are. My floor is tiled, and my cats lay on the tiles....

I didn't understand the "COVID kittens" part...
Both our younger cats were acquired and born during Canada's series of lockdowns. It's been a theme we've noticed in our adopter group that the ones born during lockdowns have some interesting behaviours 🤣.

We have tile, but some large area rugs to help our 16 year old cat get around easier with his arthritis. There's a good mixture of the two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably means a pet that was adopted / acquired during the early days of the pandemic.

TCS has an article with keeping cats cool during hot weather:

[/URL]
[/URL]
Thanks! Ice cubes in water I haven't tried for him yet. Let's see how that goes. Looks like we have the recommended set up for water bowls and such.

It's so odd to me that he doesn't even like it to get to 20C. I wonder if the foster home where he was born had central air and he's not used to it. This is his first summer with us.