Black Cat Blackout Now In Effect

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by wa2ise, Oct 6, 2017.

1. wa2ise

wa2ise Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Sep 21, 2015
    Or should be, as Halloween is a couple weeks away.

2. Sarthur2

Sarthur2 Cat lady extraordinaire Staff Member Advisor

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    Many rescues and shelters do put a hold on black cat adoptions right around Halloween time to ensure the safety of the cats.

seventhheaven, Docs Mom, abyeb and 5 others purraised this.
  3. vervainandrue

vervainandrue TCS Member Kitten

Aug 28, 2016
    Boston, MA
    I honestly thought that was a rescue "urban legend." I just adopted out a black foster kitten tonight, but we did references and such and they are a nice family.

4. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    Yes, it's awful to think about, but it happens and care must be taken.

We also need to be aware of all the ways our cats may be effected over halloween.
    One of our articles:
    Take Special Care Of Your Cat On Halloween

tarasgirl06, Shane Kent and Sarthur2 purraised this.
  5. kat0121

kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    It's sad that this needs to be done. Black cats are THE BEST.. and the prettiest..and the smartest..and the most charming..

OK. Sophie... step away from the computer....

Who? ME? I wasn't doing nuthin. It was the dog. I SAW HER..

[​IMG]

dustydiamond1, doomsdave, neely and 8 others purraised this.
  6. Norachan

Norachan Moderator Staff Member Moderator

May 27, 2013
    Mount Fuji, Japan
    tarasgirl06 and Shane Kent purraised this.
  7. ashade1

ashade1 Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director Top Cat

Jul 9, 2016
    Morgantown, WV

Keep your babies safe! We do black cat adoptions, but we do reference checks. Black cat adoptions are hard enough without putting a limit on when you can adopt them!

8. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    OMG! Sophie is one of the most absolutely GORGEOUS cats I have ever seen! (OK, Sophie, how did you get into MY computer?!) No, really that face could be on the front of Cat Fancy. kat0121, how do you not stop and kiss that face a hundred times a day, it is irresistable.

Docs Mom, dustydiamond1, tarasgirl06 and 5 others purraised this.
  9. Kitten70

Kitten70 TCS Member Kitten

Jul 26, 2017
    Longmont, CO
    To corroborate, yes Black cats are the best and the smartest. I wished Kitty was still here with us... he used to enjoy Halloween and the kids coming to get their treats.

Sept-Oct 2010 102.jpg
    Oct-Nov 2008 115.jpg

10. bigbadbass

bigbadbass TCS Member Alpha Cat

Dec 14, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    Awww...seeing the adorable Sophie...I would have loved to have owned Bug and Princess as young kitties.

dustydiamond1 purraised this.
  11. angels mommy

angels mommy TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 5, 2011
    Wilmington,NC
    Yes! I always make Sammie come in before sunset. Now that it's getting earlier, she's not liking her earlier cerfew. Its around 6:45 right now, so I make sure she's in before 6:00. If she happens to come in a little earlier for din din, then she's in for the night! I don't want to take the chance of her strolling off a bit & not being back in time. Most of the time she stays on the porch sleeping, but I don't want to take any chances!

12. kat0121

kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    Thank you. Sophie is my feline soul mate. I do give her lots of hugs and kisses. She likes to sit on my lap for hugs and I often wake up to find her on my pillow with me :cloud9:

foxxycat, dustydiamond1 and tarasgirl06 purraised this.
  13. tarasgirl06

tarasgirl06 TCS Member Top Cat

Sep 19, 2006
    Glendale, California
    Of course, there are sociiopaths in every society, and anyone who doesn't acknowledge this is living in a fantasy. For their safety and our peace of mind, ALL cats who have caretakers should live indoors only. Feral colonies are at risk, of course, but all that is possible should be done to ensure their safety as well. No matter what color!

dustydiamond1, neely and muffy purraised this.
  14. Humankittylover

Humankittylover TCS Member Kitten

Oct 7, 2017
    I always make sure all my cats are in on any major holidays, especially the black ones.

Why are black cats In so much danger on Halloween?

15. arouetta

arouetta TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 31, 2016
    The place that in my heart is my co-home with my place of birth stopped all cat adoptions close to Halloween. Black, white, orange, heck a purple cat would have been stuck there. They would do the actual adoption process but you had to wait until November to take possession of the cat.

I don't remember if it was there or the other co-home that had cat deaths on Halloween that were not limited to black cats. As obvious as it would be to tie the two events together, I honestly want to say that no actual case led to their ban and it was the other place that had that.

16. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I think the idea is mainly based on the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s in the US. People become convinced, based on one book that was later proven to be a hoax, that there are a large number of Satan worshippers who sacrifice cats and do stuff to kids, etc. So it's mostly an urban legend. BUT, because people started believing that, some copycats actually started doing that kind of stuff. It's not a huge risk but it has happened.

There's also the risk of someone adopting a black cat just to be a Halloween decoration and dumping him/her afterward.

At any rate, Halloween means a lot of unfamiliar people and cars in neighborhoods so cats should be kept in that night anyway.

neely and Humankittylover purraised this.
  17. Humankittylover

Humankittylover TCS Member Kitten

Oct 7, 2017
    Last Halloween, my family and I were trick-or-treating, and at one of the houses we stopped at had a black kitten outside. It was super nice and ran right up to me letting me pet it and even pick it up. Then the home owners came out and was like "idk who she belongs to. We just seen her yesterday for the first time and she's stuck around since. Hasn't had any food or anything from us so idk why she's still here. But you can go ahead and take her if you want. I think she's a stray so you can have her." So of course I'm not gonna leave any stray cat, unless it's ferel. So I started walking to my car with her, after the people went inside. However the same person that came out before came out again, started calling her name and told to come in and eat her dinner...? She jumped out of my hand and ran inside, like she's very familiar with the house. It was really weird that they just told me to take this cat home and that it doesn't have a home and they've never fed her before, then twenty seconds later, call her into her home to eat. I thought maybe it was a Halloween prank, but good thing I didn't move any faster otherwise they wouldn't have their cat.

Thanks! I was thinking something along those lines. It yeah, that's why I like to keep every one of my cats in on holidays... try to any day actually.

dustydiamond1 purraised this.
  18. amysuen

amysuen TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 17, 2017
    Appleton, WI
    Here's my handsome boy, and the two sweeties together. Cinder is shy but a Houdini when it comes to getting out of her collar! Toothless has more personality any cat needs. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
    IMG_2886.JPG IMG_2621.JPG

Docs Mom, bigbadbass, dustydiamond1 and 5 others purraised this.
  19. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    I've got a black Houdini myself, so I have to lock him up in the bedroom when the trick or treaters come around.

The humane society let me adopt him on October 28, so not all shelters close their doors. He was five months old then on Halloween, so I carried him with me to answer the door. I introduced him as my Halloween cat, and one little girl said, "Is he real?" :loveeyes:

foxxycat, dustydiamond1, neely and 2 others purraised this.
  20. Sarthur2

Sarthur2 Cat lady extraordinaire Staff Member Advisor

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    I too have a gorgeous black cat! He is the sweetest of all my cats. Lovely disposition!

He was born in my home of the stray pregnant mama cat I took in a couple of years ago. She was a tabby, and had a black kitten, an orange kitten, a tuxedo kitten, and a look-alike tabby kitten. I kept them all! :)

foxxycat, dustydiamond1, neely and 1 other person purraised this.