Black Cat Blackout Now In Effect

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I always make Sammie come in before sunset. Now that it's getting earlier, she's not liking her earlier cerfew. Its around 6:45 right now, so I make sure she's in before 6:00. If she happens to come in a little earlier for din din, then she's in for the night! I don't want to take the chance of her strolling off a bit & not being back in time. Most of the time she stays on the porch sleeping, but I don't want to take any chances!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG! Sophie is one of the most absolutely GORGEOUS cats I have ever seen! (OK, Sophie, how did you get into MY computer?!) No, really that face could be on the front of Cat Fancy. kat0121, how do you not stop and kiss that face a hundred times a day, it is irresistable.
Thank you. Sophie is my feline soul mate. I do give her lots of hugs and kisses. She likes to sit on my lap for hugs and I often wake up to find her on my pillow with me :cloud9:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, there are sociiopaths in every society, and anyone who doesn't acknowledge this is living in a fantasy. For their safety and our peace of mind, ALL cats who have caretakers should live indoors only. Feral colonies are at risk, of course, but all that is possible should be done to ensure their safety as well. No matter what color!

Humankittylover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always make sure all my cats are in on any major holidays, especially the black ones.

Why are black cats In so much danger on Halloween?

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
The place that in my heart is my co-home with my place of birth stopped all cat adoptions close to Halloween. Black, white, orange, heck a purple cat would have been stuck there. They would do the actual adoption process but you had to wait until November to take possession of the cat.

I don't remember if it was there or the other co-home that had cat deaths on Halloween that were not limited to black cats. As obvious as it would be to tie the two events together, I honestly want to say that no actual case led to their ban and it was the other place that had that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are black cats In so much danger on Halloween
I think the idea is mainly based on the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s in the US. People become convinced, based on one book that was later proven to be a hoax, that there are a large number of Satan worshippers who sacrifice cats and do stuff to kids, etc. So it's mostly an urban legend. BUT, because people started believing that, some copycats actually started doing that kind of stuff. It's not a huge risk but it has happened.

There's also the risk of someone adopting a black cat just to be a Halloween decoration and dumping him/her afterward.

At any rate, Halloween means a lot of unfamiliar people and cars in neighborhoods so cats should be kept in that night anyway.

Humankittylover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last Halloween, my family and I were trick-or-treating, and at one of the houses we stopped at had a black kitten outside. It was super nice and ran right up to me letting me pet it and even pick it up. Then the home owners came out and was like "idk who she belongs to. We just seen her yesterday for the first time and she's stuck around since. Hasn't had any food or anything from us so idk why she's still here. But you can go ahead and take her if you want. I think she's a stray so you can have her." So of course I'm not gonna leave any stray cat, unless it's ferel. So I started walking to my car with her, after the people went inside. However the same person that came out before came out again, started calling her name and told to come in and eat her dinner...? She jumped out of my hand and ran inside, like she's very familiar with the house. It was really weird that they just told me to take this cat home and that it doesn't have a home and they've never fed her before, then twenty seconds later, call her into her home to eat. I thought maybe it was a Halloween prank, but good thing I didn't move any faster otherwise they wouldn't have their cat.

Thanks! I was thinking something along those lines. It yeah, that's why I like to keep every one of my cats in on holidays... try to any day actually.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a black Houdini myself, so I have to lock him up in the bedroom when the trick or treaters come around.

The humane society let me adopt him on October 28, so not all shelters close their doors. He was five months old then on Halloween, so I carried him with me to answer the door. I introduced him as my Halloween cat, and one little girl said, "Is he real?" :loveeyes:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I too have a gorgeous black cat! He is the sweetest of all my cats. Lovely disposition!

He was born in my home of the stray pregnant mama cat I took in a couple of years ago. She was a tabby, and had a black kitten, an orange kitten, a tuxedo kitten, and a look-alike tabby kitten. I kept them all! :)