black cat behaviour

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I rescued and adopted a gorgeous black kitten, he is extremely gentle and obedient for a kitten.
Most kittens are very nauthy and can be hard to handle but this black kitten is almost like a puppy, he allows us to shower him without a single scratch or bite, he drinks water when I order him too!
So I was wondering if black cats are in general sweet and gently. I never had a black cat before but I have seen many white or white and another colour cats that are less obedient and can be pretty naughty and demanding.

So if you have a black cat, share your experience with his personality in this thread and let's discuss about how genetics can affect cat's personalities.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What a sweet Kitten!

I think you got lucky to have a well behaved one, my two black cats are really naughty, especially Jiro. (The boy on the right) The girl, Carpet, is very sweet but she does what she pleases. She'd never let us give her a shower. 

Why do you need to give your kitten a shower?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why do you need to give your kitten a shower?
Oh~~ they're so handsome too!

well I gave him showers when he was a baby because I rescued him when he was 2 weeks old!!! so he couldn't clean himself and he got dirty all the time. Nowadays he is 3 months old and he loves water. I bath him once in a while when he is really dirty because I'm allergic so It improves my symptoms. And because he didn´t grow up with a mommy cat he is clueless about cleaning himself!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've got a tuxedo cat that loves water. Every time I take a shower he tries to get in there with me.

He's a strange boy.

murr7maggiom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been a volunteer adoption counselor in a Petsmart store for three years. I've never had a black cat but I've known several in the adoption room. I think they've all been pretty sweet and quick to adapt to the stress of the room and living in a cage. I've also found them more amenable to a leash and harness. More of them need to get adopted.

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had two black cats, both males.  They've been real rapscallions, but had quite amazing personalities and very intelligent.

Right now, my black kitten is climbing up the wrought iron curio cabinet I have for the tenth time in an hour, even though I've wrapped it up with tape (sticky side out) to discourage him.  hehe  (Make that 11.  Scratch that, 12.  haha)

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think being a "black cat" means they are all the same or anything.  That's like claiming all orange tabby cats are a certain way, or all calicos are a certain way.  Each cat has its own personality regardless of genes.  Just IMHO :)

That said, my black kitty (he has some silver stripes but otherwise is black) is the sweetest, gentlest little buddy ever.  He's never bitten or clawed at me, even when I probably deserved it (trimming nails or giving a bath).  He is obedient and acts more dog-like and will go for walks happily as long as it is not too cold.  It could be because he is a black cat, or maybe just because he was born with this personality.  Either way I'm blessed to have chosen a black kitty (which I did specifically because less people adopt them for some reason!).

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two black cats (brothers), my Cimba is the sweetest boy in the world, my Dante is naughty.  My daughter calls him "Devil Dants".  I have a long haired bi color (white with a little black) and he is also a very sweet gentle cat. Dutchess is the sister to the two brothers and she is a tuxedo. She loves water and expects to be served at all times.  We call her "Princess Dutchess" because we are just the hired help.

diana karan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my black cat "lily"is the most gentle kindest cat I have ever known. She head butts the vet, Her fur is like silky bunny fur and I havenever heard her hiss or growl.Once she "huffed". Who knows what makes one cat so well beg=haved and and another a hellion ? It's not all nurture because Lily lived feral and rough for a while before I rescued her, she has some faint scars and  ear notched=s from fights while in the wild. It seems that as soon s she came into the house ( her safe room was her refuge for over a month) she seems to know hoe perfectly wonderful it is to be safe and warm with regular meals and has never misbehaved at all. and I wish I could take some credit but all I do is lover up and give a consistency the wild world can't. 

dizzy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat loving cat is a tuxedo, he is just so gentle and very sweet, not agressive at all, I've had him since we think 6 weeks (some idiot was going to get rid of), this is my first cat eve, since he was a kitten I fell in love with him (he is now 1.2 months old ) had all his shots and neutered.. we added to our family a cocker spaniel .. to which Panda (our cat loves to hate) Harley our pup just loves Panda to death and to be honest I actually think Harley thinks that he is a cat too.. he mimics everything that Panda does.
I do have a question, Panda is so adorable he does all the head bunting, kisses and gumming, twittering at me and rubbing against me, laying on my chest during the night and in the morning purring non stop, but lately I've noticed that he will only sleep in our bed when my Husband is not home, he used to sleep with both of us usually finding a dip between our legs or between us.. but lately he hasn't and will check in on me during the night (I often get a fright when he jumps on me ) and this has only started since my husband has been home at night (he works in the oil industry.. so often away for weeks at a time) but anytime my husband is gone Panda is right there by me all night... is Panda protecting me??

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @dizzy1and welcome to TCS!

Cats do the oddest things.  I'll find my girl curled up on my shoulder every night for months, then nothing for months, then back again but somewhere else on the bed.  So really, what goes on in a pussycat mind can be anyone's guess.

But I'd like to think that Panda knows you're alone and wants to cuddle close.

He's a very gorgeous boy.
  You might like to introduce Panda and yourself in our New Cats on the Block forum?

Last edited:

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My only experience caring for a black cat was an all black feral tom I used to take care of. He was definitely not calm or sweet. He was a little firecracker and had an unending rivalry with my indoor-outdoor tortie I had at the time. Beautiful cat, but one of the fiestiest and least trusting I've ever met. I wish he would've let me bring him inside to see how he did but I think he was just meant to be wild.

If we're counting tuxedos, though, my Maya is just about as sweet as it gets. She's the perfectly polite little princess and lives to cuddle. If she's not in a lap she's not happy. I think she may have swatted at a moth once, but that's about as fierce as she gets. She even sits for baths, brushes, and nail clips without so much as a complaint. I think she likes being pampered.

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My little black kitty is one of a kind. Never seen anything like her. She's this slinky little thing that if I didn't know better, I'd say she's in perpetual heat 
 She just got spayed so I know better! In fact, when I first got her, she went right into heat and we wondered how much of her lovingness was her vs her heat. Most of it, including the slinkyness and coming onto my boys... that seems to be alllll her. She just doesn't do it 24/7, not it's more like 3/4 of the time, lol. Yowling too! But she has more of a singing yowl (she sounds so much like my Lucky that it is almost freaky).

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to think about the claimed correlation between cat color and personality.  I will say this though, my black girl Lucy is a handful.  She does what she wants, when she wants.  Telling her no, just eggs her on.  I love her so.  

And she has a bit of a water fetish.  Sometimes, when my girlfriend is taking a bath, Lucy will run into the bathroom and jump into the tub. Splash.  She will sit in the warm water until the tub drains.  I have never had a cat quite like her.     

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a black cat, Blam Blam Blam Black Betty. She was so sweet and docile with me. But boy did she yowl, hiss and swat at my other cats, she detested

them but loved me. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mingo is a rascal. He was five months old when I got him, and I spent the next four months running after him, replacing chewed cords, keeping him from eating my dinner, and so on. He's mellowed out a lot, but he's still a mystery. Some days he's affectionate, and other days he's distant. I never know what to expect when I get up in the morning.

He's a really good mouser, though. He's caught nine in the past year. I had a really bad mouse problem until he arrived.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've had four black cats, including the beautiful Paul who is sleeping beside me as I write. Each had completely unique personalities, all of them a joy to be with. Wesley was smart, outgoing and elegant, Sears was affectionate and sedate, Emma was a charming little flirt and Paul is a big, lovable goof.