Black carpet beetle and larvae..

Theeflash1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all I suffer mental health issues and my house has become a mess. I have BLACK CARPET BEETLES AND LARVAE
all around my house and I need help to get rid of these. Can someone also tell me a good cat shampoo as my cat is itching please help me....

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel for you, having had an infestation in my apartment one year following some flooding in the area. Luckily, my apartment manager called the exterminator. I think that a professional is your best bet for getting rid of them quickly. This is about the best general article I have found about them: Black Carpet Beetles: Do They Bite? (webmd.com) . Vinegar repels them. Wipe down hard surfaces with it, and spray it lightly on fabrics. It will stink for a bit, but they will go. I'd get some of those tiny sauce bowls that you see in places like Walmart, quite cheap, and put one in each corner of your rooms, and next to exterior doors. As for a cat shampoo...Dawn dish liquid, the original, is safe and gentle. It also kills fleas. After you rinse thoroughly, pour a cup of cool chamomile tea over your cat to sooth the skin. But do use plain, unblended tea bags to make the tea!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Theeflash1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you are the black beetles the same as in Scotland in the US!

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Carpet beetles and the larvae need keratin to grow their exoskeletons.
That is found in our fingernails and hair, as well as the hair of pets.
Brake out that vacuum and use it very frequently, to remove the hair from the carpet, beds and especially near the base boards.

The larvae will eat holes in your wool garments and antique wool rugs.
You might find out you have an aerated Scottish kilt next time you put it on to go out and about.
I collect a type of toy/art made from wool (mohair) and if I see any carpet beetle, it is killed within 30 seconds.

They tend to like dark places and will hide under sweaters, in dark closets and in drawers.
However sometimes you can see the larvae climbing to be high on the walls before starting metamorphosis.
If you have anything made of feathers, look it over for infestation. Things like feather dusters attract the bugs/larvae.
I hope that is your vacuum we hear running.
Empty or toss the vacuum bag outside, so that any bugs or eggs sucked up stay out of the house.

Last edited: