Bizarre Behavior Following Sedation

kalani73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. Im new here and searching/hoping for some answers. I have an 18 1/2 y/o cat. In order to have ANYTHING done ( bloodwork, trimming nails, vaccinations, etc.) she has to be sedated.
I hate this and thus, she has not been to the vet much. Well, this year I moved from the US to SE ASIA. She obviously had to be sedated in order to be vaccinated for the move. Also, she is
persian so she develops severe matts and has to get "lion-cuts" once a year. Usually the type of sedation is isoflurane which is often the safest. Ive been in Asia for 6 mo. I had to eventually take her in (yesterday) bc her matting was really bad and she needed blood work.
When we arrived back home she ate like she hadnt eaten in a month...then was doing odd things like walking all around the house as if it was new and we just moved in. But thats not the strangest. Last nite she couldnt sleep and was extremely anxious. I discovered her standing by the bedroom door ( in the bedrm) wanting to get out. She has NEVER done this.
In fact, my bedroom ( her room as well) is her sanctuary and is where she always prefers to be. But since yesterday she appears frightened to even be in there. Howling to get out.
Im just baffled and can only think that the sedation had a negative affect? But why the sudden fear of her safe space?? Thanks for reading . I really appreciate any insight.
Tiara

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert here, but isn't she too old to be regularly sedated? Can she just get an anti-anxiety medication or something everytime she has to get groomed, bloodwork, etc? Maybe all these are taking a toll on her?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are different types and levels of sedation you might talk to your vet about. My 16 year old needed a tooth extraction and tehy lightly sedated him, he was not fully under.
18 1/2 is much too old to be sedated at all. That is like doing surgery on a 100 year old human. The Drs' are telling my 85 year old mother in law the risks of having any kind of surgery (other than life saving of course) like stents, back surgery for a bad disc, etc. is just too risky at her age, so I can't imagine doing it any older!
The sedation has messed with her brain. Whether it is permenent or not remains to be seen. I would think she will improve, as sedation can last in the system of the elderly for much longer than normal. 6 months in a new home is not long at all in a cat's world, she may very well be confused and unsure at where she is. Everything could really be 'different' and scary right now. She most likely needs a lot of reassurance right now, and comfort. I would suggest that she should be brushed nightly to keep the mats down, or even keeping her hair trimmed yourself, which would calm her much more having it done.
She is at the end of her life, taking a little more time to help her right now is needed. You are SO fortunate to have had her in your life for so many years, the bond of love between you is strong. She is obviously a strong willed, healthy cat, and it is a testament to your excellent care!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

Way too old to be sedated for anything other than a life threatening emergency. If your vet is putting her under for everything, you need to find a new vet.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not much help. My oldster, 16, that is a nightmare to groom (tornado with teeth and claws) is shaved down once a year in stages. She looks strange for awhile, but to lessen her stress (and save my blood) I do just a few minutes each time I clip. When she was younger I would slightly sedate her, but it still didn't stop her from drawing blood. Your girl is probably acting strange because her body has not eliminated the sedation completely. She could be hallucinating, to her it is like she is on a bad trip. Honestly, you are in a bad situation - having such a senior cat who is stressed out by everything. I would be hesitant about sedating her at this point.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI. Im new here and searching/hoping for some answers. I have an 18 1/2 y/o cat. In order to have ANYTHING done ( bloodwork, trimming nails, vaccinations, etc.) she has to be sedated.
I hate this and thus, she has not been to the vet much. Well, this year I moved from the US to SE ASIA. She obviously had to be sedated in order to be vaccinated for the move. Also, she is
persian so she develops severe matts and has to get "lion-cuts" once a year. Usually the type of sedation is isoflurane which is often the safest. Ive been in Asia for 6 mo. I had to eventually take her in (yesterday) bc her matting was really bad and she needed blood work.
When we arrived back home she ate like she hadnt eaten in a month...then was doing odd things like walking all around the house as if it was new and we just moved in. But thats not the strangest. Last nite she couldnt sleep and was extremely anxious. I discovered her standing by the bedroom door ( in the bedrm) wanting to get out. She has NEVER done this.
In fact, my bedroom ( her room as well) is her sanctuary and is where she always prefers to be. But since yesterday she appears frightened to even be in there. Howling to get out.
Im just baffled and can only think that the sedation had a negative affect? But why the sudden fear of her safe space?? Thanks for reading . I really appreciate any insight.
Tiara
Hello K kalani73 and sweet Persian queen, and welcome to TCS! Though I can't add much to other posters' comments, I do add my *PRAYERS* and best thoughts of wellbeing for your cat, and the heartfelt hope that she is soon rid of the aftereffects of the sedation. In the meantime, I hope she is accepting your attention and love, and also daily brushing with a good slicker brush and possibly a Furminator de-shedding tool. It should not be necessary for her vet to groom her. If you are not able to completely groom her, are there any groomers who specialize in CATS (DON'T hire one for dogs! They are not gentle enough!) who would come to your home? Your cat should not have to leave your home for things like this. All the best for her! and to you.:vibes::lovecat3::hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalani73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not an expert here, but isn't she too old to be regularly sedated? Can she just get an anti-anxiety medication or something everytime she has to get groomed, bloodwork, etc? Maybe all these are taking a toll on her?
yes. absolutely but believe me I have tried EVERYTHING in last 15 yrs. Including 100 mgs of gabapentin but she still becomes aggressive and cannot be treated
unless sedated. Its a conundrum .... cant treat is I dont sedate and if I sedate it is a risk....

kalani73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello K kalani73 and sweet Persian queen, and welcome to TCS! Though I can't add much to other posters' comments, I do add my *PRAYERS* and best thoughts of wellbeing for your cat, and the heartfelt hope that she is soon rid of the aftereffects of the sedation. In the meantime, I hope she is accepting your attention and love, and also daily brushing with a good slicker brush and possibly a Furminator de-shedding tool. It should not be necessary for her vet to groom her. If you are not able to completely groom her, are there any groomers who specialize in CATS (DON'T hire one for dogs! They are not gentle enough!) who would come to your home? Your cat should not have to leave your home for things like this. All the best for her! and to you.:vibes::lovecat3::hearthrob:
Hello. Thank you so much. Because of her aggressive temperament she is not able to be brushed , ever!! So the last few years she has been developing mats and has to be sedated in order to be shaved. Its quite concerning but her mats became so bad that they are attached to her skin. It doesnt matter if someone comes to the house, she will not tolerate anyone doing anything. Beleive me, she is loving and so precious much of the time (unless you try to do anything but pet her). I am praying I do not have to take her back today and sedate again.

kalani73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not much help. My oldster, 16, that is a nightmare to groom (tornado with teeth and claws) is shaved down once a year in stages. She looks strange for awhile, but to lessen her stress (and save my blood) I do just a few minutes each time I clip. When she was younger I would slightly sedate her, but it still didn't stop her from drawing blood. Your girl is probably acting strange because her body has not eliminated the sedation completely. She could be hallucinating, to her it is like she is on a bad trip. Honestly, you are in a bad situation - having such a senior cat who is stressed out by everything. I would be hesitant about sedating her at this point.
THANK YOU!! Your response is the closest to understanding bc if you dont have an aggressive cat, it is difficult to understand that " oh no, she cannot be sedated at this age.." but the alternative is obvious. So yesterday she had to be sedated to get her updated labs as she is CKD Stage 2, and a urinalysis ( called cystocentesis) to extract her urine to r/o UTI, and to shave her. So I know this must have been so traumatizing bc not only her behavior but who knws what happens in the back ( lab ) right? maybe they had to give her extra sedation...
but also it is a new vet (and new Country as I now live in Malaysia).
I hope and pray you are right and it is just the affects of the sedation but she
is not herself and will not go into her room :(

kalani73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah:

Way too old to be sedated for anything other than a life threatening emergency. If your vet is putting her under for everything, you need to find a new vet.
Hello: yes. I agree with you! the problem is it is possibly life threatening. She has CKD Stage 2, so it has been almost a year since she had labs done AND bc she cannot be brushed she develops severe mats. Yes, this is a new vet ... in a new COUNTRY .

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Can she be handled at all? If so, you might be able to zip her into a cat bag. It has zippers all over so you can unzip a section to brush or clip.

If she has kidney disease most vets will not sedate. I used to have one of mine shaved until her labs showed kidney disease and after that the vet would no longer do it.

kalani73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are different types and levels of sedation you might talk to your vet about. My 16 year old needed a tooth extraction and tehy lightly sedated him, he was not fully under.
18 1/2 is much too old to be sedated at all. That is like doing surgery on a 100 year old human. The Drs' are telling my 85 year old mother in law the risks of having any kind of surgery (other than life saving of course) like stents, back surgery for a bad disc, etc. is just too risky at her age, so I can't imagine doing it any older!
The sedation has messed with her brain. Whether it is permenent or not remains to be seen. I would think she will improve, as sedation can last in the system of the elderly for much longer than normal. 6 months in a new home is not long at all in a cat's world, she may very well be confused and unsure at where she is. Everything could really be 'different' and scary right now. She most likely needs a lot of reassurance right now, and comfort. I would suggest that she should be brushed nightly to keep the mats down, or even keeping her hair trimmed yourself, which would calm her much more having it done.
She is at the end of her life, taking a little more time to help her right now is needed. You are SO fortunate to have had her in your life for so many years, the bond of love between you is strong. She is obviously a strong willed, healthy cat, and it is a testament to your excellent care!
HI. Yes. She is way to old to be sedated but I am between a rock and a hard place bc she has CKD and has not had her blood work done in almost a year ( bc she has to be sedated) and we need to rule out UTI so she had to be sedated to even get a urinalysis .... so Ive always known this day would come where I would have to make a decision to sedate and treat or let be just be. I cannot fathom not having her in my life so this is quite difficult. We are waiting for the culture to come back and then if she has to take meds, another challenge as I cannot get meds into her ... thank you for your support

kalani73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can she be handled at all? If so, you might be able to zip her into a cat bag. It has zippers all over so you can unzip a section to brush or clip.

If she has kidney disease most vets will not sedate. I used to have one of mine shaved until her labs showed kidney disease and after that the vet would no longer do it.
No she cannot be handled at all. I mean she has become more affectionate as she has aged and I can hold her more but never can brush her or gives meds. So it is quite a conundrum for me. And of course my anxiety is sky high right now.
I recently had to move from the US to Malaysia. She was fine. Only Stage 2, they always sedated her in US as well to do blood work. She has been fine here as well. This was first time to a new vet here. This vet says its only Stage One but according to the Bun and Creatinine I dont think so.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My current cat doesn’t scratch or bite when I try to groom her but gets frightened to the point of being hysterical trying to get away. But if I can catch her I take her into the shower stall and once in there, with no place to run she calms down and lets me brush her. If you have a small bathroom or enclosed shower might be worth a try.

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello: yes. I agree with you! the problem is it is possibly life threatening. She has CKD Stage 2, so it has been almost a year since she had labs done AND bc she cannot be brushed she develops severe mats. Yes, this is a new vet ... in a new COUNTRY .
Hm.....yes, that is quite the problem. Have you tried grooming gloves? If she enjoys being petted you may be able to get away with that.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If people act like this after they have had anesthesia:

I wouldn't be worried if a cat acted strangely, either.

Since she's an elderly cat, I can understand why it takes longer for her to go back to normal.

kalani73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes I agree. But she has never acted this way before , following a sedation. And I know she is older than her last sedation in May, but honestly, I feel that they over sedated her - She only weighs 5.5 lbs . Thank you for post. She is slowly improving .

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given the cat's advanced age and poor health due to kidney disease, I would expect it to take longer to recover from anesthesia.

Her kidneys aren't working to full potential but the kidney is the main organ that the body uses to eliminate substances from the blood stream. We don't know what percentage/proportion of kidney function the cat has so we don't know how much longer it will take for the kidneys to eliminate the drug(s) from the cat's system.

Where a young, healthy cat might take hours to recover from anesthesia, it might take an older, less-healthy cat days to recover.

This really is a "wait and see" game.

I know it really stinks to play the "wait and see" game. Our cat is sick, too and it's hard to stand by and watch and wait for the cat to get better.

Unfortunately, this takes time and only time will tell. :(

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes I agree. But she has never acted this way before , following a sedation. And I know she is older than her last sedation in May, but honestly, I feel that they over sedated her - She only weighs 5.5 lbs . Thank you for post. She is slowly improving .
Those four words at the end are wonderful, K kalani73 and I add more *PRAYERS* and best thoughts of wellbeing for her. Don't give up! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::lovecat::hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob: