Bitter Atopica

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have spoken on here before of my cat with severe skin issues, so I won't go into too much detail.
He was on Atopica for about 6 weeks, and allergy food, and he HEALED. A normal cat again! Thank God!

However, we took a break from the meds, and I saw him start to scratch again, and this week I saw his belly has a hairless raw area again. So he needs the meds. I always mixed his dose with some wet food and while he didn't love it, he'd eat it about 95% of the time.

But now.... he is being INCREDIBLY picky and won't eat it.
I have tried over 20 different types of cat foods, all textures.
Kitten foods.
Tuna.
Tuna juice.
Milk.
Cheeses.
Nutritional Yeast Flakes.
I tried combos of foods, dry foods, etc.

I cannot get him to even taste any of it. He turns his little black nose up at it and walks away, looking guilty. lol

I know Atopica is very very bitter, and I really would hate to have to manually give it to him- he holds grudges and runs from me whenever I have to do anything like that with him. He's also a cat, while very very sweet, fights like the dickens if you try and make him do anything he doesn't want to.

Are there *any* other things I could try? This sucks.
I have wasted way too many doses of his meds- and it's over 100 bucks for a little teeny bottle. :bawling2:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get the atopica compounded into a pill or other form? Wedgewood Pharmacy lists these options which include a capsule, tablet, and flavored chew treat: Cyclosporine for dogs and horses: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects Any compounding pharmacy in your area can do this. I think Chewy.com 's pharmacy can also do compounding. Ask your vet which compounded form would be best to use. Obviously an eye ointment is not going to be of any help for skin issues. Tablets, etc can be hidden in Pill Pockets or something similar.