Bits of litter stuck to fur

optimispar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my 5y/o neutered male occasionally has some bits of clumping litter stuck to his fur around his genital area.. Whenever I see it I help pluck them off (I usually notice after it's hardened/dried up so it's easy to pull apart from his fur) but I was wondering whether it could be a huge issue if he were to ingest it while grooming?

He's short-haired so it's not an issue with his fur length. I think it only happens when he pees at a certain angle and depending on how the litter is sitting in the box.. Any advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about trying to lower the litter level to see if that helps. You might take a sneek peak when he is going, just to see what he is doing - could help with determining whether or not lowering the level of litter will make any difference.

Feeby frequently has at least one back paw that is covered in litter debris. If I see it I will wipe it off, but tbh, most times she cleans it off her paws and so far (she 16+ yo) it hasn't seemed to be an issue.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 5y/o neutered male occasionally has some bits of clumping litter stuck to his fur around his genital area.. Whenever I see it I help pluck them off (I usually notice after it's hardened/dried up so it's easy to pull apart from his fur) but I was wondering whether it could be a huge issue if he were to ingest it while grooming?

He's short-haired so it's not an issue with his fur length. I think it only happens when he pees at a certain angle and depending on how the litter is sitting in the box.. Any advice?
Litter should be at least 3 inches and clump good. It is ok for a cat to eat clay litter ,just not a lot