Biting kitten - Bach Flowers?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So at the vet, is she registered as Kitten Antonio-lastname? :catman:
She's actually registered (at the other clinic where she had the complete checkup about three weeks ago) as Letizia, the name she was given by the rescue group. We'll use the same name at this practice next week.
We don't like the name, though, so we hope to come up with something good and unique.
We didn't think much about a name because in the first days, when she was peeing all over, and we had informed the rescue group, we were told that they were willing to take her back. So we thought that giving her a new name before sending her back was too much hassle.

The "cat whisperer" is also very good at giving cats names, hopefully she'll give me some good hint.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back to square one.
Tortie kitten has started peeing on the floor again, on Monday the first time, then again on Tuesday, and this morning too.

Today after work I will take her to her first session of acupuncture, this was to try and have her relaxed and not biting, but I will ask the vet if it's possible to work on the pee issue as well.
:(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck with the acupuncture. Hopefully it helps with all her little issues. :redheartpump:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, update.
We should have had a session of acupuncture yesterday, the appointment was at 6 pm, but the vets forgot me in the waiting room till 6:50 pm, so I had to cancel the appointment because I had to be somewhere else at 7 pm (*).
The acupuncturist was terribly sorry and offered me a new appointment this morning at 9. This would mean that I had to take a leave from work...

At the end of the story, this morning she didn't give the kitten an acupuncture, but an acupressure, where the vet would apply a light pressure on some points of the kitten's body to stimulate/inhibit some reactions.
Of course a single session isn't enough and we should have more in the next weeks, but the good news is that what she did on the kitten can be done at home by me, she showed me how to do.

During the acupressure session, which lasted at least 20 minutes, the kitten stood quiet and relaxed. As soon as the session ended and the vet removed her hands for the kitten, she attacked her hands, and then mine... Nice!
Anyway it was just a nibble, but the vet understood what we had to deal with.

According to the acupuncturist vet, the kitten suffered from an early loss of her mother/siblings and a severe lack of socialization when she was fostered. It seems that the kitten has a strong prey drive, stronger than the average, and she hasn't learned/been taught how to control it. All this adds to the fact that she's a tortie with the typical attitude of this kind of cats. This was the explanation, that might sound good, apart from the fact that my sweet Lola lost her mother in her very first days of life, she never knew her, she was raised by inexpert hands (mine) and was badly trained as a cat. She was a tortie. The result was one of the sweetest cats ever, so the rules that the vet expressed aren't a rule at all.
The problem with this kittie is in her mind, and we have to work with it. She told me that in a case like this, the Feliway Diffuser, the Anxitane pills, and the Australian Flowers are totally useless.

Anyway, I'll do at home what she did at the clinic, then I'll meet the vet again on next Wednesday and hopefully before Christmas.
If things shouldn't fix or improve, the next step the acupuncturist would like to do is the behaviorist, that she called today and has been informed about the case. He would like to come to our home and explain what we have to do in order to give the kitten an alternative way to convey her energy. The acupuncturist warned me that the behaviorist is very severe and strict, and demands that all of his recommendations are strictly followed!

I've been told that in the best case scenario, the kitten could improve slowly even if she might never become a lap cat, but at least she should be able to control her behavior towards us. In the worst case scenario, the kitten could not improve, she could even worsen to the point where it could be nearly impossible to stand near her.

(*) Yesterday I had trapped two hungry and desperate kittens during my lunch break, they had stayed in my car all afternoon, they needed to be taken to the shelter before it would close. Today I trapped the other two siblings. Mom cat is still roaming, hope to get her too.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could try with the Thundershirt, on Amazon it's about €40 for a kitten, delivered tomorrow, though I might think she could wiggle all day to try to get out of that "embrace".

Yesterday, 4 pees on the floor, two in the litter!
This morning one pee on the floor at 7 am... she's driving me crazy!
The vet told me to leave another litter box out, in the corner where she usually pees. I had one there, but thought to remove it because it was in an uncomfortable (for us) spot. So this morning I left a dish in the same spot, on the basis that cats do not soil where they eat.
It worked for another corner where she would pee daily, a week later I removed the dish in that corner and nothing happened again.

I think I will give this vest a try ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any experience with the Thundershirt, but have seen it mentioned here on the forums a few times. Fingers crossed that it helps with your girl. BTW, is it normal for a kitten to pee 6 times a day?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with the Thundershirt, but have seen it mentioned here on the forums a few times. Fingers crossed that it helps with your girl.
Before spending €40 I'd rather ask the vet which her opinion is. She might have experience and tell me "yes, go on" or "forget it, it's just a waste of money" :)

BTW, is it normal for a kitten to pee 6 times a day?
This question had been asked before, and I had a thread on it, if I remember it right. Someone said that a kitten has a weaker bladder, or has a weaker control on it, so they do pee often.

In the last year or so I had 4 kittens, all of them would pee a lot, the one I had before this tortie would pee up to 15 times a day, and when I posted it here I was told it was rather alright. The vets I asked told me it is not normal at all, but despite all the tests we ran on all those kittens, all reports came back clear so we had no real answer to the question.

Yes, here it is
Kitten peeing too much
though the answers were directed to solve a different issue rather than the number of pees.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Before spending €40 I'd rather ask the vet which her opinion is. She might have experience and tell me "yes, go on" or "forget it, it's just a waste of money" :)
I agree, get her opinion before spending that much money.

And about the kitten peeing so often, I suppose they have tiny bladders. And it might also be part of her anxiety/stress, and will clear up once all that's under control.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if anyone already said it, but Bach flower essences are homeopathic/"energy medicine", which means they don't have any of the actual ingredient in it, just the "energy" of that ingredient. . .which, um. No.

The l-theanine treats may work, or something with valerian.

I have a 5-month old little guy who was dumped out at my place at around 4-5 weeks old. He was tough. Always biting, the worst I've had, I think. I got a large dog toy and always kept it nearby, and any time he started biting, I'd make an angry meow sound and shove the toy into his mouth/paws, and wiggle it around so he'd bite it instead. And now he's fine. I don't know if he outgrew it or if the toy thing worked.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to update those who had been following this thread.

On December 13th, Friday, I took home another kitten, female, 3 months old. She was a feral, due to a series of circumstances she had to come home with me, and she stayed since.

Letizia, the biting kitten of this thread didn't accept the newcomer, though we introduced them gradually, and started violently mobbing her. The two kittens would live in two separate rooms for most of the day.
I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but a person I know well offered to have Letizia at her home for a few days and see if she could behave differently in a new environment. This person has an adult cat and a male kitten same age as Letizia.
I took some time to think and see if the acupunture might show some result. I also had to inform the rescue group of this attempt and seek their approval.
They agreed, for the sake of Letizia and because they know me well and trust me.

On January 2nd, Letizia was taken to this house where the lady welcomed her warmly. Letizia didn't bother the least for the new home, as long as there was food and a TV on. Furthermore, the lady has birds in some large cages, so Letizia had something new to look at.

After 2 weeks the situation is that the kitten has adapted to the new house quickly, is much more relaxed, interacts with the person and the other cats perfectly, sleeps along with them all, accepts being cuddled and held, she likes the place.
As I had imagined, she was looking for a different place, and I'm sure that the presence of an adult cat has given her an example for behavior.

What she didn't change is that she keeps peeing on the floor, four times in the last week, but the lady doesn't care. She loves the kitten to bits.
The rescue group agreed to have their kitten in a different home than they had planned, but as long as we're all happy and the kitten is happy too, all is well.

P.S.: The newcome kitten is much more relaxed too, and hasn't to live in the hiding anymore, but her personality suffered from the initial persecution.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad you posted, as I was wondering how things were going. Sorry it didn't work out for you and (she has a name finally) Letizia. But it sounds like she's happy now. Hopefully, for the sake of her new human, she'll stop the peeing on the floor.

Do post again when you have something to update on the new kitten staying at your home.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you posted, as I was wondering how things were going. Sorry it didn't work out for you and (she has a name finally) Letizia. But it sounds like she's happy now. Hopefully, for the sake of her new human, she'll stop the peeing on the floor.
I guess that this pee thing will stay, I think it's in her habits and nothing will change it, unfortunately, but I'd be happy to be wrong!
Her name was Letizia since the beginning, only we didn't like it and tried to find her a name we liked. It never happened.
The name stayed and was normally used for the weekly communications with the rescue group who handed her to me, and for the vet's sake :)

Do post again when you have something to update on the new kitten staying at your home.
Of course, I have something in my mind to ask you all about her ;)

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I wonder if Letizia prefers female human company. Who knows though! Sometimes some cats and humans get along better than others. The first cat I adopted from a neighbor was apparently extremely anxious and I got the impression they thought her a bit odd. After I adopted her, her original owners told me she seemed like a totally different cat, much calmer and much happier. Perhaps it was something with our energies, who knows, but we were both very happy together! :) I hope Letizia and her new mama and your new kitten and you will be, too!