Bite from rescued 6 week old feral kitten.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
ts like he lunges for you hands and my husband is afraid that since its only been 7 days that the cat could be rabid
No, that's just kitten behavior. I really doubt that there is anything wrong with this kitten, he's just displaying typical play behavior. This is not the way a sick kitten would act.

Take him to the vet and have him blood tested for FIV and FeLV and then vaccinated. The blood test for rabies in cats shows whether the rabies vaccine is protecting them from the virus, but there is no point getting that at the same time as you do the vaccinations.

The fact that you've had him for a week and he's only exhibiting play behavior really makes me think he is healthy. I don't think you or your husband need to worry about anything.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Norachan Norachan 100%! He is playing and does not know better yet. Begin hissing at him as his mother would do. Kittens instinctively know what this means. You’ll be surprised how effective hissing at him is and how saying a firm “No!” is towards curbing his behavior. That and time! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's negative for parasites and worms, negative FIV/FeLV, got 1st shot, has lots of ear debris and ear infection but other than that the vet said his bitty behavior is normal 6 week old behavior. She also said if he was rabid he'd have neurological symptoms at this point.
He also has a tiny ringworm spot so that's a new can of worms 🤪

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What product can clean ringworm off items like larger scratching post or pet playpens that can't be washed. Ive vacuumed and put in the sun for 8 hours?

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully this will be my my last question! When can the baby kitten come out of quaratine for ringworm, he has never been around my other 2 adult cats.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully this will be my my last question! When can the baby kitten come out of quaratine for ringworm, he has never been around my other 2 adult cats.
Your vet should have discussed that with you when you took him in, if it was me I'd call and ask.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

It usually take two to three weeks with the former being the normal amount of time.

No, please ask away. I am really enjoying this post and the progress you are making with that baby feline.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Really you need to consult your vet about that. They will be able to test the kitten to see if there is any ringworm left. Remember to clean the room thoroughly before you let your other cats in there too.

Have you seen this?