Bite from rescued 6 week old feral kitten.

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This evening we started hearing a kitten crying but couldn't locate him and then about an hour later he tripped my doorbell camera. So after searching for 45 mins we found him in some brush but he of course went crazy and bite my husband really good. Now my husband is super worried about RABIES because the kitten went bananas in the cage for a minute.

What do yall think about the rabies thing?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The odds are heavy against any rabies danger. At least in USA where rabies from cats is scarce. but in some other warm countries rabies isnt scarce at all, and several thousand people do die from rabies every year... Seldom from cat bites, but rabies death is an reality in some countries.

If hubby is worried, let him take the rabies shots, even if they are painful. Tell the kitten managed to get away, otherwise he will be pts.
Desifincate the wound as well you can, the usual cat bacteria may be harmful.

BUT. AS it sounds from your description, the kitten behaved fully normally: did bite because he was afraid and felt threatened (Im sure he hissed before, no?).
And after the catching, he was in frenzy some time. Pretty normal, esp if they are 8+ weeks and born ferale.

But he DID calmed down, no? If you have time, patience, love, you will foster and socialize him soon enough, even if it will prob take longer time than a -8 weeks....

Awenz Awenz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten who is about 6 weeks was running away so he was scared but would cry when we would call for him. Yes the kitten eventually settled down, he's in the picture posted above. He buried himself under a blanket and once we left him alone he ate wet food and drank water. I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow because I have other cats at home

BTW we live in Texas close to the Louisiana border

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chances are really slim, I have been bit by kittens and have gone through the same thing, and mine disappeared after! You have the kitten, so keep it in 'quarantine' for at least 10 days like the shelter would do if rabies were suspected. Rabies can only be transmitted after clinical signs are displayed by the kitten and the kitten would die within ten days of showing signs. So after ten days you are safe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, rabies is highly unlikely; however, cat bites can get infected, so your husband may need antibiotics if the wound festers and gets infected. Thanks for saving the little guy! :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabies? No, if the Kitten had rabies you'd be seeing signs by now and the Kitten would be dead within a matter of a few days.

Cellulitis, on the other hand, is a very real danger from Cat bites. If the area around the bite starts turning red and swelling he needs to go to a clinic or ER right away.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten who is about 6 weeks was running away so he was scared but would cry when we would call for him. Yes the kitten eventually settled down, he's in the picture posted above. He buried himself under a blanket and once we left him alone he ate wet food and drank water. I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow because I have other cats at home

BTW we live in Texas close to the Louisiana border
Why are you taking him to the vet? For a health check up or?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kitten dies in the next 10 days, have the body tested for rabies. If he's still alive in 10 days, he was not shedding rabies at the time of the bite.

Be careful about what you say to the vet because in some places they have to quarantine any animal that bites someone, but there's no reason you can't just keep the kitten at home and keep an eye on him yourself.

And, yeah, cat bites get infected a lot, keep a close eye on that. It can get bad very quickly.

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry idk what happened with my last comment
I took him to the vet so he could be checked out, just a regular check. Felv/Fiv test, fecal, dewormed, weight check, overall check up before i bring him in to be fostered. My vet wasn't concerned about rabies, she said he is only 1lb and most likely he would of already died, been killed or be very sick. I will now quarantine him for 10 days from my cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a ticking clock? Muffle it with a towel and put it near his box, or try a heartbeat toy or a purr toy. Low volume classical harp music now and then is known to help relax kittens and cats.

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yesterday I found a kitten, today he went to the vet and she said he's right about 5 weeks at the most. Little guy weighs 1lb .01oz
Question is im feeding him Purina Pro wet kitten food every 5 hours should I supplement him with formula also?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he eats well, he probably doesnt need kmr supplement. But I would suggest goats milk. Its cheaper if nothing else... :)

Another suggestion is you try to give him more often. Every 5 hours sounds quite seldom. Even if in the wild its common momma must leave them several hours a time to hunt or find food...

I must say, he seems VERY ferale and wild. :)

Good you found him now and not several weeks later. NOW he is fairly easy to foster, It would be more difficult at 8+.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely give him kitten formula or goats milk to drink. He’s still a baby and needs the calcium.

Feed him about 6 meals a day at this age. His tummy is tiny so he needs many small meals to grow on. He’s also underweight, so the more he eats the better he will grow. At 5 weeks he should weigh at least 2 pounds, and continue to gain a pound a month for a few months. In addition to the wet food, he needs kitten chow and water available 24/7.

Are you giving him play time out of the crate as well?

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby is doing great! He no longer hisses or hides in the carrier. We have him in the extra bathroom and visit him often. He loves to eat and is gaining weight. He lots of scabs and scratches on his head and neck which are from the ear mites I assume. My son has named him Link. Link will go back to the vet on Friday for first vaccines so we can start letting him out among my 2 older cats

Attachments

Awenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had the kitty since last Thursday night (so 7 days) he is starting to act very spastic/playful at night but attacks are hands and bitting really hard (almost in an aggressive way) He gets scared if we pick him up and remove him from the situation. Sometimes will even still hiss.
*** remember he was very feral when we found him a week ago!
Is this normal?