Bit And Scratched By A Stray Cat!

Kally432

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about at 9:00 AM (it's now 7:16 PM) this morning I looked out my window and saw this most gorgeous cat walking up to my house! I couldn't help myself so I grabbed some cat food and brought it outside to feed him. He let me pet him and he loved on me and then he laid on the ground with his belly wide open. I completely forgot some cats do not like their belly getting rubbed or that they're trying to test if they can trust you. He seemed very normal and there was nothing off about him. I was just caught up in how beautiful he was and I decided to rub his belly. He grabbed my hand and bit and scratched my wrist, I could tell he was not trying to hurt me considering he hardly bit me and took a small little bite which was not deep at all and just a small scratch. I could tell he was not trying to hurt me. I noticed he had a small little bloody spot on one of his ear's as well. He was similar looking to that yellowish gold cat in the background. I would like some advice on what to do as I've never been bit by a stray cat before!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you wash it with soap and water? I would keep an eye on it. Yeah, my cat does that if you rub his belly, he grabs my wrist, but I think he is just playing. Have you seen the cat since?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kally432

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you wash it with soap and water? I would keep an eye on it. Yeah, my cat does that if you rub his belly, he grabs my wrist, but I think he is just playing. Have you seen the cat since?
I did make sure to wash it with soap and water right away. He ran away after he bit and scratched me. Haven't seen him since sadly. I did notice there was really tiny red streaks coming from one of the bite marks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds minor, and he may not be a stray, but best to keep an eye on it. If it becomes infected you'll need antibiotics. Hopefully it won't come to that. :)

Kally432

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds minor, and he may not be a stray, but best to keep an eye on it. If it becomes infected you'll need antibiotics. Hopefully it won't come to that. :)
Yeah he probably wasn't a stray since he was so nice and loving! Thanks for the advice.

Kally432

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I be on the safe side and go to the doctor to test me for rabies? (it did look like he got bit by something on his ear)

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You certainly can go to your doctor, but would be EXTREMELY unlikely he'd have rabies, particularly since he was acting so normal and happy. Generally a cat with rabies won't "seem right." Alot of cats - - even very loving ones - don't like their bellies rubbed. And even if they do - they often kind of grab your hand and give it a little nibble, as they'd do if they were playing with a littermate. Bites can be a bit of an issue - if they're deep (as in very deep and drawing blood), which it sounds like this wasn't at all. You'll know if the bite or scratch marks start to look very infected and hot that it's time to go to the doctors for antibiotics. But none of these sound that deep. Most scratches turn a bit red and sometimes get a little raised, but unless they start to really look infected - or you have major swelling and the area feels very hot - probably all you'll need to do is apply some antibiotic cream after washing the area and you'll be fine!

And if you see him again - just stick to petting his head and scratching under his chin :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rabies develops over 10 days, so animals turn rabid quickly. It's doubtful this friendly guy is infected.

How's your injury doing?

Kally432

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He came earlier this morning and was nice and friendly again. Wait, so as soon as a cat gets rabies he turns aggressive right away?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes within a few days. And they usually are dead within 10 days I think. If he's still around in 2 weeks, I think it's safe to say he didn't have rabies.

Kally432

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes within a few days. And they usually are dead within 10 days I think. If he's still around in 2 weeks, I think it's safe to say he didn't have rabies.
Well!! Gonna keep on feeding him for the next 2 weeks and see if he comes back everyday.