Birthday meal for a sensitive stomach

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this, I apologise if not!

Our Annie's 1st birthday is coming up in August and we want to do something special for her to celebrate. We were thinking of making her a special birthday meal, or a cat "birthday cake" but she has a very sensitive stomach, at least when it comes to dry foods. She's also fussy when it comes to lumps in her wet food, only eating pate. We know she loves cheese, chicken and fish (never given her actual fish before though, just fish flavoured wet food) and I've read that lactose-free whipped cream can be a good treat for cats.

What could we potentially make that's easy on the stomach and not full of lumps but still tasty and special enough for her birthday?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it if she does have a sensitive stomach. A little bit of the inside meat of rotisserie chicken or fried chicken--something unsalted and unseasoned. A forkful should be plenty treat enough to get her excited without causing much or any discomfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Instead of food, maybe buy her a new toy or two - wrapped in some wrapping paper which most cats love!!
We plan on doing this too! But I never thought of wrapping it up beforehand for her to tear up, that's a nice idea. She's our first cat and we missed our other cat's birthday due to the shelter giving us the wrong age for her so we want to make it extra special and celebrate both in the same day.
I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it if she does have a sensitive stomach. A little bit of the inside meat of rotisserie chicken or fried chicken--something unsalted and unseasoned. A forkful should be plenty treat enough to get her excited without causing much or any discomfort.
Thank you! This sounds simple enough but still a treat for her. Should I maybe do some boiled chicken? I read things about not giving cats fried chicken but if it's the inside like you said, I assume it's okay.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We plan on doing this too! But I never thought of wrapping it up beforehand for her to tear up, that's a nice idea. She's our first cat and we missed our other cat's birthday due to the shelter giving us the wrong age for her so we want to make it extra special and celebrate both in the same day.

Thank you! This sounds simple enough but still a treat for her. Should I maybe do some boiled chicken? I read things about not giving cats fried chicken but if it's the inside like you said, I assume it's okay.
Yeah. If it’s the inside meat, it should be okay. The skin will contain all the secret spices and seasonings. You don’t want to give her the skin. And in any case, you’re only giving a treat-sized scrap once a year. That should be fine. If you were to make this a regular treat, I would encourage boiled chicken instead and no more than ten percent of her calories.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Empty the can of pate onto a plate whole. Stick a candle in it, decorate with treats, and serve :) A few extra treats would also be just fine :) You don't have to do a whole birthday meal.

Instead of food, give a new toy or an extra brushing or playtime. Cats honestly couldn't care less if it's their birthday so it really doesn't matter what you give to the cat. A big empty box is the greatest thing ever to most cats.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy almost-birthday Annie! 🎉😻
Add to the above suggestions with plenty of playtime and laptime. One of mine celebrated 13 years in May and most of the day was dedicated to him and what he loves. Tomorrow is his gotcha day and we're planning a repeat.
Enjoy your little girl 🙂❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions! Ironically enough, she's very anti-brushing and anti-laptime. Her favourite activities involve watching birds and playing with a feather wand toy, which we just bought 2 new ones of recently anyway. The problem with the bird watching is that most of the birds are in our garden, where there's no window to watch from so maybe I could set up a temporary screen on the door so she gets an extra special view for her birthday!

Empty the can of pate onto a plate whole. Stick a candle in it, decorate with treats, and serve :) A few extra treats would also be just fine :) You don't have to do a whole birthday meal.

Instead of food, give a new toy or an extra brushing or playtime. Cats honestly couldn't care less if it's their birthday so it really doesn't matter what you give to the cat. A big empty box is the greatest thing ever to most cats.
I might do just this to be honest! She's fussy when it comes to eating wet-only food though, so the dry food treats on top might be a nice idea. She definitely loves a box more than the toy that came inside the box.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Save all the boxes you can and ask your friends and family to save theirs. Build her a box fort-maze, and let her in the room to see it for the first time with the video camera rolling :)

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat absolutely loves the Churu lickable treats and they don’t upset her stomach at all. I think there is even a chicken and cheese flavor! They’re very smooth, no lumps or anything.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with the bird watching is that most of the birds are in our garden, where there's no window to watch from so maybe I could set up a temporary screen on the door so she gets an extra special view for her birthday!
That's the perfect birthday present for a cat!

Save all the boxes you can and ask your friends and family to save theirs. Build her a box fort-maze, and let her in the room to see it for the first time with the video camera rolling :)
This is a great idea! Our cats love the boxes we've saved for them. We cut doors and windows in them... thank goodness we bought that new toilet so we could have the big box for the cats!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's the perfect birthday present for a cat!

This is a great idea! Our cats love the boxes we've saved for them. We cut doors and windows in them... thank goodness we bought that new toilet so we could have the big box for the cats!
That's hysterical!!
I bought a keyboard when my tortie was a kitten. For about 6 months the box sat alongside the stairway railing with a bunch of packing paper and a 4 inch thick foam dog bed in it. She used to fly between the railings and spread eagle free-fall into the box. She's a box lover to this day. I gave her an empty box of Ziplock snack bags, and she tried for a solid half hour to get all 4s into it. She settled on 3 legs in, one leg out, and crouching down and just chilling like it wasn't the most uncomfortable position in the universe! So silly :D

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's hysterical!!
I bought a keyboard when my tortie was a kitten. For about 6 months the box sat alongside the stairway railing with a bunch of packing paper and a 4 inch thick foam dog bed in it. She used to fly between the railings and spread eagle free-fall into the box. She's a box lover to this day. I gave her an empty box of Ziplock snack bags, and she tried for a solid half hour to get all 4s into it. She settled on 3 legs in, one leg out, and crouching down and just chilling like it wasn't the most uncomfortable position in the universe! So silly :D
How funny that she used to fall into the box, that's great!

It's ridiculous how many boxes we save for our cats but they really do love them. There are some that they just fit in, they kind of dive in and then have to straighten themselves out!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm hoping if Becca T takes us up on this idea she'll share a video. I love watching cats in boxes, they're so proud of themselves when they conquer one. I got an amazon box earlier and it wasn't even unloaded before my tortie was in it. Nothing cuter than a tiny little cat resting happily on a box of macaroni and cheese! :D

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lately when I’ve been ordering Betty’s food, I’ll save the box for her.
0DEC3080-BE5A-4E03-8D43-BB0725BF64AC.jpeg