Bird's nest in front yard bush

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have a tall bush in our front yard that is approx. 9 - 10 ft. high. It has a nest at the top that I have been watching in anticipation of baby birds. The other day I saw a woodpecker in the bush but it did not bother the nest and flew away. Whether or not it came back I don't know. Overnight we had a rainstorm followed by snow showers today. However, the sun is out now and I saw two cardinals in the bush, one male and one very plump female. The nest looks like it suffered some damage but since the bush is so high I cannot see inside nor do I want to bother the nest which is slightly askew. I wonder what could have caused the damage and if it is still in tact enough for eggs. Do you think the damage was from the storm or woodpecker? I know it's had to tell just from my description but I was looking forward to baby birds. Since I saw the two cardinals would you assume as I did that it was their nest?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have woodpeckers (mostly red-bellied and downy) and cardinals around each other all the time in my yard because of my bird feeders and have never seen any kind of issue between the two birds - or any of the other birds that come into my yard (blue jays, wrens, titmice, mourning doves, and many winter birds) for that matter. So, I would suspect the weather is probably behind the issue.

I have never managed to 'find' where the cardinals' nests are, like I can with wrens, but they are close by. Ditto with the woodpeckers. We always have the mom and dad cardinals and their fledglings frequent the feeders. It is 'funny' to watch because dad is the one who teaches them how to use the feeders, not mom!!!

EDIT: Not that you asked, but I also have a 'watering hole' for the birds/squirrels to drink from - it took longer for the cardinals to accept it, but they use it all the time now along with the other birds.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I too would guess the storm, especially if there were winds. We've had nests blown out of trees before and on the ground after storms, it's sad. :( Cardinals are beautiful, I always like seeing them around!