Birds mid-Atlantic area illness

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was in the Greater good articles this morning and I wanted to post it in case anyone in the effected area missed it. I know a lot of cat people set up feeders to give their cats something to watch, so please tell your non-birder friends.

Residents are being urged to stop feeding the animals until they are able to discover what type of eye disease is causing neurological damage, leading to eye swelling, blindness, and eventually, death. The USGS is working with a number of state agencies in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and DC. Residents in those areas are being asked to remove the feeders and disinfect them until the event has come to an end.

link

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was in the Greater good articles this morning and I wanted to post it in case anyone in the effected area missed it. I know a lot of cat people set up feeders to give their cats something to watch, so please tell your non-birder friends.

Residents are being urged to stop feeding the animals until they are able to discover what type of eye disease is causing neurological damage, leading to eye swelling, blindness, and eventually, death. The USGS is working with a number of state agencies in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and DC. Residents in those areas are being asked to remove the feeders and disinfect them until the event has come to an end.

link

[/URL]
TYSM for posting this, K Kflowers .

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some states have issued advisories about bird feeders and such even if no affected birds have been found. Here's one: Advisory: Report Dead Birds and Remove Feeders Check your state wildlife division for anything similar and steps you can take to prevent this mysterious bird illness from spreading.
TYSM for sharing. I've shared to other platforms but missed TCS. Appreciate this.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would we expect notice when the emergency ends? I miss my bird feeder (and so does Juno).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I did not think of that, I tend to think of pesticides. But, yes, the cicadas are the one clear new variable, other than the weather getting warmer.