Bird feeders and rats?

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 4 bird feeders. 3 hang from shepherd's hooks near windows to entertain Archie and Lucy; 1 hangs from a tree further from the house. We've had the feeders for years.  The cats love them.  

The other night, Archie woke me up at dark-o-clock pounding on the window beside my bed.  He stood on his hind legs and pawed franticly at the glass while Lucy sat beside him.  I grabbed a flash light and shined the beam thru the window.  I saw a rat hanging on the feeder, chowing down on the birdseed.  I hate rats.  They freak me out.  It took hours to fall back asleep.  The thought of rats only a few feet from my head kept swirling thru my mind.  Plus, I don't want the cats getting so worked up trying to attack the prey.  It happened again last night.

I'm thinking about buying a small metal trashcan and storing the feeders in the can each night.  I'm guessing hiding the feeders will minimize the rats.  But I'm kinda lazy.  I know I will constantly forget.  

I wonder if anyone has faced this challenge and can offer alternative solutions to keep rats away from the feeders.

I should add that have set out traps for the rats.  So far, though, they have managed to trip them twice without getting caught.  

Thanks in advance. 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't had rats, but have had issues with chipmunks and squirrels. I have baffles up so the squirrels can no longer get to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't had rats, but have had issues with chipmunks and squirrels. I have baffles up so the squirrels can no longer get to them.
That sounds like a good idea.  If I can find one, I will give it a try.  We have squirrels too - though I don't mind them.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In our area, the bears are the problems, not rats.
Good luck.
Gosh.  I think I'd rather have rats if I had to choose between the two.  Bears are beautiful and majestic, but I wouldn't want them in my yard.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
<snip> I have baffles up so the squirrels can no longer get to them.
I sure hope the baffle works.  I was shocked at how expensive they are!  Granted, I'm cheap.  But I wasn't expecting a near $30 price tag.  I'm starting with one to test the waters.  In the meantime, I'm putting the feeders up each evening. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
:cross: Is there a possibility you can return it if it doesn't work?

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a possibility you can return it if it doesn't work?
Oh yeah.  I got it from Amazon.  Though I'm hoping it works.  In other news, I finally caught a rat in one of the traps.  Mostly I find the traps tripped and moved, so I was surprised to actually catch one.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently saw a segment of a tv show (Ask This Old House?) where the homeowner used an old electrice fence wire and the battery thing for it and wrapped the wire around fruit trees and branches to keep rats and other wild animals from eating the fruit. The fence wire gave the animals a brief zap but didn't harm them.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I recently saw a segment of a tv show (Ask This Old House?) where the homeowner used an old electrice fence wire and the battery thing for it and wrapped the wire around fruit trees and branches to keep rats and other wild animals from eating the fruit. The fence wire gave the animals a brief zap but didn't harm them.
What a creative solution.  I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to design or build something like that.  I'm not much of a handyman or do-it-yourselfer.  

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you having any luck with the baffle?
Still a bit too early to tell.  The baffle arrived Monday, I installed it Tuesday.  So it's only been one day.  I can say this, it doesn't fully deter the squirrels.  Now instead of climbing the shepherd hook, they jump from a nearby fence directly onto the bird feeder.  I think if I move the feeder over a bit, it might be too far for the squirrels to jump.  It's fun to watch, though. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I had to move my bird feed over a few feet as well because they were leaping from a shrub that was nearby. :lol3: I have a few videos of it. :lol3:

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to move my bird feed over a few feet as well because they were leaping from a shrub that was nearby.
I have a few videos of it.
I moved the feeder farther away from the fence and turned it 180 degrees to place the upright post in-between the fence and the feeder.  So far, the new arrangement seems to be working.  I don't mind feeding the squirrels, but they eat so much food.  Yesterday, they completely emptied the feeder by 10am.  

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to call the baffle a success.  Of course the situation could change - rats are smart, nimble and persistent - but so far the kitties have been ignoring the window and feeder at night.  @AbbysMom  thanks for the suggestion.