Bird + Bleach = DEATH?!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't like the idea of swimming in it, either, but evidently chlorine bleach can be used to treat (disinfect) drinking water, and can be used in swimming pools. The difficulty is getting the concentration right. If you wanted to use bleach in a big pool, you would need many gallons so it's not practical.

I found this information:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question189.htm

What I find curious is why do you need to bleach an inflatable pool? Aren't those little, and you can dump the water out at the end of the day?
My MIL has a water softener that uses a gallon of bleach in it.She has to put one in it about once a month I believe.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah bleach definetely shouldn't be in a swimming pool, you aren't suppose to get bleach on your skin, its bad. Hopefully it's chlorine that he's using and your just confused. Either way birds shouldn't be drinking it, niether are suppose to be ingested.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also confused as to why this is necessary in an inflatable pool. It's a little overkill, to my way of thinking. Hopefully not literally.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is an inflatable, then you should be able to empty it and spray it out.

Pool man

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just curious about this, because I have no idea. My dad filled up this inflatable pool for my brother and sister, he puts alot of bleach in it so it stays clean, this morning I look out to my backyard and see a bird trying to drink from the pool o_o ......which contains bleach....could this kill it?
Bleach is absolutely fine to use in water. And to respond to the people saying they would not swim in a pool with bleach in it then I say this dont ever go in a pool again. Liquid chlorine like I use in all the pools I maintain is 5 times stronger than household bleach but it is the same chemical composition. Bleach is chlorine. NACL is the chemical composition which means sodium chloride. Which is sodium and chlorine... table salt has chlorine in it. So you people saying you dont want bleach in your pools should reconsider what you are saying.... there is bleach in every pool you ever been in... that's what chlorine is. And yes even salt water pools have chlorine. The salt water cell converts the salt into chlorine......