Biography of a Queen: Pawnee, 20??-02/19/2020

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was chatting with a neighbor out by the barn one May afternoon, at our second home in central Kansas. A plain brown tabby cat strolled out of the tall grass and sat down to listen. Our neighbor, who raises cattle across the road, scooped up the cat, and stroked and scruffed it in a friendly way. One of his farm cats, I thought. His wife is allergic, so they aren’t allowed in the house. We finished our conversation, he set the cat down and left. I spoke to the cat and petted it, it was courteous, and I went inside.

She spent every day in our yard, while our indoor cats glared from the windows. The day we left to go back to Chicago, she (I had discreetly determined she was a lady) was reclining in the driveway. I picked her up, set her on a fencepost out of the way, wished her well, and we left her there.

In early July, we returned. When I stepped out of the truck, she met me at the gate. She greeted us happily, tail in the air, and we warmly welcomed her. When we fed the others, we brought her a serving too, which she seemed to appreciate. She was healthy, thickly pelted in stripes and brindles, with a perfectly calm manner. She purred, and spent the afternoon in the shade on the patio.

The next morning, I went out to find she had brought us a turkey. Wild turkeys troop through our property frequently, and she had apparently raided a nest. She left the dead chick on our doorstep. What could I do but thank her? (And bury the dead bird.)

It hit 104 degrees that week. She lay on the patio cement, panting under the trumpet vine. I asked her, “Would you like to come inside? To cool off?” She stood up, strolled inside and stretched out on the cool kitchen floor. We called her Pawnee (after the indigenous tribe from central Kansas), and that was that. She stayed.

She could have been anywhere from 2 to 5 years old. We will never know where she came from.

Perfect in courtesy. Perfect in habits. Never hurried, never flustered. Quiet, polite, obeying all household conventions as though she had decreed them herself. She treated the other cats as though they didn’t exist; they shrugged and said, “Oh. Another one. Whatever.” We let her continue to roam outside – after all, this was her territory. Kansas Pawnee. When I wandered around our acreage, taking photographs, she would amble along beside me. She inspected the foundations of the outbuildings, examined the upper regions of the granary. She showed me the blooming honeysuckle. She was never far away. We could just call from the door: “Pawneeeee! Kitty kitty kitty!” and here she came, strolling casually through the short dry buffalograss, sometimes giving a short chirp of greeting. Back in Chicago, she reclined on the back deck, never left the confines of our suburban fenced yard. Sometimes lurking beneath the sprawling mugo pine, napping under the junipers, and then returning inside at will or our call. She was the world’s best cat.

Because we continued to let her go outside, I took her to the local Kansas vet for vaccinations. The usual rabies and combination FELVP shot was given on a Monday. On Friday she wouldn’t eat. She lay all day on the sun porch and barely moved. We drove back to Chicago on Saturday; she dozed in her crate the whole way. She still wouldn’t eat on Sunday, and let me take her temperature: 104.5. I took her to the emergency clinic, where she got fluids, blood work, and an antibiotic. I asked the vet if it could be the vaccine – he said no, not that many days later. On Tuesday, I took her to our regular vet, and the first thing she said was: “I think it’s a vaccine reaction.” More fluids and added steroids for inflammation. I discovered, from the manufacturer’s website, that this particular vaccine (Felocel 4 from Zoetis) can cause high fever, lethargy, and inappetence in about 1% of cats, starting 5-10 days after the vaccine. Lucky us, the 1%. It was a long month. Fever up and down, days of hospitalization with intravenous fluids, coaxing with food, and boatloads of steroids. At last, at last, she recovered. We never vaccinated her again.

A few years later, she slowed down. She rarely went outside. Her appetite was dicey. And she started bumping into things. We did bloodwork – liver, kidneys, blood pressure all fine, a mild heart murmur. It was a mystery. Finally, we tested for fungal infection. “I don’t think it’ll be positive, but there’s nothing else to check,” said my vet. And both the blood and urine samples came back positive for histoplasmosis. It lives in the soil, especially around poultry and birds. Our Kansas barn housed owls, and who knows what other earthy places she might have explored. The ophthalmologist confirmed: she was completely blind, and fungal lesions were visible in her eyes. A local pharmacy compounded the hideous-tasting antifungal medication into a tuna-flavored syrup, and we squirted it into her twice a day for 6 months. It made her nauseated, so we were back to subcutaneous fluids, anti-nausea meds, baby food, homemade food, turkey breast… and a little tiny bit of steroid to keep her going. Her vision was gone for good, but – as cats do – she mapped out the house, the furniture, the litter boxes, the water dishes, and carried on. Her free-range days were over. Six months later, she tested clear. But she would never be the same.

She might be 12, she might be 15. She weighs half what she used to. She limps. Her kidneys have failed. She wobbles from bed to bed, still manages to clamber into the litter box in the hallway (she misses sometimes, but so what). I never know if or what she will eat. Mostly nothing. She gets fluids, vitamins, and anti-nausea meds every other day by needle, and an appetite stimulant cream rubbed into her ear the other days. She is matted – she no longer cleans herself at all, and won’t permit me to. It hurts when I comb her and she protests. She wanders and gets lost in the house. She hardly sleeps, just crouches in her bed. She has no strength. She clings to her dignity, but it is ebbing away. It’s time. It’s time.

Pawnee, Pawnee, Kansas Pawnee. Queen of our hearts, of our home, of two states. Always perfect, always regal, always courteous, always kind. Everyone thinks they have The Best Cat Ever. But they are wrong. We have.

We will lay her to rest near the irises in Kansas, with Mrs. Chippy and Phoebe and Basil nearby, where I can sit on the porch with a glass of wine and thank her for enriching us, for loving us, for trusting us, for choosing us.

“They who stand with breaking hearts around this little grave need have no fear. The largest and the noblest faith in all that is, and is to be, tells us that death, even at its worst, is only perfect rest. We know that through the common wants of life, the needs and duties of each hour, their grief will lessen day by day until at last these graves will be to them a place of rest and peace, almost of joy. There is for them this consolation: The dead do not suffer.” – Robert Ingersoll

Pawnee was released to her rest on Feb. 19, 2020. We buried her in our cat resting place, and yes, last week, there were white irises all around her.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry for your loss and the pain that accompanies it. Time is the only thing that dulls the sharp edges of grief, that and the wonderful memories you have accumulated over the years which will bring you comfort and eventually overcome the overwhelming memories of her end. Try not to dwell on that end, it makes it more prominent than her life. That should never be, the life she lived and the journey she shared with you is a treasure she freely gave to those who loved her and will enrich the soul.
The bond you formed with that sweet girl will be with you forever. It is spiritual, so eternal. She will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send her those of joy and thankfulness, not grief and tears.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts. The closing of one door always leads to the opening of another, I hope her wonderful legacy will be passed to others so it may grow and flourish. She deserves no less. You did well my friend. You gave her what she wanted most in this life, care and the wonderful love of a family she could call her own....RIP beautiful Pawnee. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. That is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. R.I.P sweet Pawnee :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Pawnee, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Thank you for sharing Kansas Pawnee's story with us. And thank you for that quote by Robert Ingersoll, "Death, even at its worst, is only perfect rest." While I know, to the depths of my being, that we go on, that there is a Next Great Adventure in That Place Where All Things Are Known (and perhaps in this Place, as well), and while I know that Pawnee's love, now translated and purified into Love, remains with you still, those words will someday help someone who does not have that knowledge. I will remember, as I will remember the little cat who gave those words to me.

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
This was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing Pawnee's life with us and I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like she chose your family because she knew how much you would cherish and care for her. A life well lived. Rest well, Pawnee.

Pugsley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was chatting with a neighbor out by the barn one May afternoon, at our second home in central Kansas. A plain brown tabby cat strolled out of the tall grass and sat down to listen. Our neighbor, who raises cattle across the road, scooped up the cat, and stroked and scruffed it in a friendly way. One of his farm cats, I thought. His wife is allergic, so they aren’t allowed in the house. We finished our conversation, he set the cat down and left. I spoke to the cat and petted it, it was courteous, and I went inside.

She spent every day in our yard, while our indoor cats glared from the windows. The day we left to go back to Chicago, she (I had discreetly determined she was a lady) was reclining in the driveway. I picked her up, set her on a fencepost out of the way, wished her well, and we left her there.

In early July, we returned. When I stepped out of the truck, she met me at the gate. She greeted us happily, tail in the air, and we warmly welcomed her. When we fed the others, we brought her a serving too, which she seemed to appreciate. She was healthy, thickly pelted in stripes and brindles, with a perfectly calm manner. She purred, and spent the afternoon in the shade on the patio.

The next morning, I went out to find she had brought us a turkey. Wild turkeys troop through our property frequently, and she had apparently raided a nest. She left the dead chick on our doorstep. What could I do but thank her? (And bury the dead bird.)

It hit 104 degrees that week. She lay on the patio cement, panting under the trumpet vine. I asked her, “Would you like to come inside? To cool off?” She stood up, strolled inside and stretched out on the cool kitchen floor. We called her Pawnee (after the indigenous tribe from central Kansas), and that was that. She stayed.

She could have been anywhere from 2 to 5 years old. We will never know where she came from.

Perfect in courtesy. Perfect in habits. Never hurried, never flustered. Quiet, polite, obeying all household conventions as though she had decreed them herself. She treated the other cats as though they didn’t exist; they shrugged and said, “Oh. Another one. Whatever.” We let her continue to roam outside – after all, this was her territory. Kansas Pawnee. When I wandered around our acreage, taking photographs, she would amble along beside me. She inspected the foundations of the outbuildings, examined the upper regions of the granary. She showed me the blooming honeysuckle. She was never far away. We could just call from the door: “Pawneeeee! Kitty kitty kitty!” and here she came, strolling casually through the short dry buffalograss, sometimes giving a short chirp of greeting. Back in Chicago, she reclined on the back deck, never left the confines of our suburban fenced yard. Sometimes lurking beneath the sprawling mugo pine, napping under the junipers, and then returning inside at will or our call. She was the world’s best cat.

Because we continued to let her go outside, I took her to the local Kansas vet for vaccinations. The usual rabies and combination FELVP shot was given on a Monday. On Friday she wouldn’t eat. She lay all day on the sun porch and barely moved. We drove back to Chicago on Saturday; she dozed in her crate the whole way. She still wouldn’t eat on Sunday, and let me take her temperature: 104.5. I took her to the emergency clinic, where she got fluids, blood work, and an antibiotic. I asked the vet if it could be the vaccine – he said no, not that many days later. On Tuesday, I took her to our regular vet, and the first thing she said was: “I think it’s a vaccine reaction.” More fluids and added steroids for inflammation. I discovered, from the manufacturer’s website, that this particular vaccine (Felocel 4 from Zoetis) can cause high fever, lethargy, and inappetence in about 1% of cats, starting 5-10 days after the vaccine. Lucky us, the 1%. It was a long month. Fever up and down, days of hospitalization with intravenous fluids, coaxing with food, and boatloads of steroids. At last, at last, she recovered. We never vaccinated her again.

A few years later, she slowed down. She rarely went outside. Her appetite was dicey. And she started bumping into things. We did bloodwork – liver, kidneys, blood pressure all fine, a mild heart murmur. It was a mystery. Finally, we tested for fungal infection. “I don’t think it’ll be positive, but there’s nothing else to check,” said my vet. And both the blood and urine samples came back positive for histoplasmosis. It lives in the soil, especially around poultry and birds. Our Kansas barn housed owls, and who knows what other earthy places she might have explored. The ophthalmologist confirmed: she was completely blind, and fungal lesions were visible in her eyes. A local pharmacy compounded the hideous-tasting antifungal medication into a tuna-flavored syrup, and we squirted it into her twice a day for 6 months. It made her nauseated, so we were back to subcutaneous fluids, anti-nausea meds, baby food, homemade food, turkey breast… and a little tiny bit of steroid to keep her going. Her vision was gone for good, but – as cats do – she mapped out the house, the furniture, the litter boxes, the water dishes, and carried on. Her free-range days were over. Six months later, she tested clear. But she would never be the same.

She might be 12, she might be 15. She weighs half what she used to. She limps. Her kidneys have failed. She wobbles from bed to bed, still manages to clamber into the litter box in the hallway (she misses sometimes, but so what). I never know if or what she will eat. Mostly nothing. She gets fluids, vitamins, and anti-nausea meds every other day by needle, and an appetite stimulant cream rubbed into her ear the other days. She is matted – she no longer cleans herself at all, and won’t permit me to. It hurts when I comb her and she protests. She wanders and gets lost in the house. She hardly sleeps, just crouches in her bed. She has no strength. She clings to her dignity, but it is ebbing away. It’s time. It’s time.

Pawnee, Pawnee, Kansas Pawnee. Queen of our hearts, of our home, of two states. Always perfect, always regal, always courteous, always kind. Everyone thinks they have The Best Cat Ever. But they are wrong. We have.

We will lay her to rest near the irises in Kansas, with Mrs. Chippy and Phoebe and Basil nearby, where I can sit on the porch with a glass of wine and thank her for enriching us, for loving us, for trusting us, for choosing us.

“They who stand with breaking hearts around this little grave need have no fear. The largest and the noblest faith in all that is, and is to be, tells us that death, even at its worst, is only perfect rest. We know that through the common wants of life, the needs and duties of each hour, their grief will lessen day by day until at last these graves will be to them a place of rest and peace, almost of joy. There is for them this consolation: The dead do not suffer.” – Robert Ingersoll

Pawnee was released to her rest on Feb. 19, 2020. We buried her in our cat resting place, and yes, last week, there were white irises all around her.
May I ask so you believe part of her downfall was the vaccines? As my cat has suffered so badly exactly as yours has. Day 7 he got so sick. I force fed him. The vet didn’t believe me so I took him home. He’s now recovering! Only an indoor cat. I’m ready to sue zoetis - originally Pfizer! I need people to help me! My cat almost died! Imagine if that was a child! The world would be up in arms! I’m up in arms as it IS my child!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please post a thread asking about vaccine reactions. I think you would get a lot more answers with a post by itself. I have only had one cat react badly to vaccines, he got a fever and was very lethargic. He did recover though. I am glad yours did too....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May I ask so you believe part of her downfall was the vaccines? As my cat has suffered so badly exactly as yours has. Day 7 he got so sick. I force fed him. The vet didn’t believe me so I took him home. He’s now recovering! Only an indoor cat. I’m ready to sue zoetis - originally Pfizer! I need people to help me! My cat almost died! Imagine if that was a child! The world would be up in arms! I’m up in arms as it IS my child!
She had a serious reaction to the vaccines, but she did not die from that - she died some years later, primarily of kidney disease. I have sometimes wondered of the vaccine illness might have left her immune system impaired, so that when she was exposed to the fungal infection, she was not able to fight it off as well. I did post in some detail about her experience with the vaccine - search for the thread on "prolonged delayed vaccine reaction," and you'll find many other people and their cats experienced the same thing. It took our Pawnee about a month to recover, with a lot of help from my wonderful vet: subcutaneous and sometimes IV fluids, appetite stimulants, some steroids, and lots and lots of love and coaxing with all kinds of food, but she did come through it. I'm sorry you (or anyone!) is going through this! My vet now uses exclusively "non-adjuvanted" rabies vaccines (they have minimal other ingredients that might actually be what causes this reaction), and we do not use the FVRCP vaccine in any of our cats any more. Good luck - work with your vet, and hopefully your boy will get better soon too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please post a thread asking about vaccine reactions. I think you would get a lot more answers with a post by itself. I have only had one cat react badly to vaccines, he got a fever and was very lethargic. He did recover though. I am glad yours did too....
Yes, I was the thread starter on a long thread about "prolonged, delayed vaccine reaction." It was a month of worry and care, and we only do minimal, non-adjuvanted vaccines on any of our cats since. It was so sad to see how many others have had this experience! Thank heaven we had a wonderful, smart, caring vet who got us through it with serious supportive care.