Big change in urine output after changing to freeze-dried raw

thoroughbredmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, one of which is Arya, 6 year old Russian Blue who was a stray at a young age and has IBD and I'm concerned about her urine output after switching foods. She has been on wet food since we got her. She has always eaten small meals *many* times a day (maybe 6 or 7 between my husband and I); any more and she either leaves it, or throws it up. They have two water bowls and a fountain. The fountain has reverse osmosis water and the bowls have tap water and are changed regularly. Arya has always been desperate to go outside and chew grass (which she gets to do occasionally) or chase bits of dry food (which we've stopped because it makes her throw up.)

We had her on Wellness Chicken (no fish) until recently when we switched them both to Stella & Chewies freeze dried raw chicken/rabbit because of the other cat's allergies. (Arya won't eat freeze-dried or homemade raw, and the other cat, Sweetie, eats her leftovers. ) We are adding as much warm (reverse osmosis, which may not be ideal) water as the food will possibly absorb, and recently I've started adding a probiotic I've had in the fridge, it might be too old,but she loves the taste and it seems to make her more satisfied, otherwise no change. She hasn't been throwing up since I've cut out the last few dry treats, except when she eats grass.

I'm concerned that Arya's urine balls have gotten much smaller, and the edges are usually very uneven, when they used to be fat round balls. (The other cat's pee balls are about the same size, maybe less frequent.) She is also peeing at the edges of the box again, which I interpret as unhappiness with the litter box. Both cat's poops are light and well-hydrated. I'm concerned about a pH change and kidney or urinary issues, but we don't see any other changes in her health, in fact she seems a little bit more cuddly and content overall, although she claims is starving by early morning. Her coat and weight are great.

Maybe she doesn't need as much water because of the lack of thickeners in the food? Should I stop worrying, try feed her larger portions, try to clump meals so she has time without eating, or go back to the Wellness?

Thanks for your thoughts!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen her use the litter box? My cats eat only wet so they do not drink much. Stella Has bone in it so I don't give it to my cat with ibd plus my 3 cats are senior. Other people believe ground bone is good for cats. Switch back to her old food and see if there's a difference

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat with ibd weruva because it's low phosphorous
Usually steak frites,glam n punk,chicken Frick a zee, daves healthy chicken duck
Though I am trying to stop giving her chicken too much

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't offer much about the change in food and the pee amount. Since both cats may be peeing a bit less frequently, the odds are it is the food change. Acting like she is starving in the morning may have to do with a food change and a related schedule change whereby she eats less, and/or doesn't eat as late in the day/evening?

But I am curious about your comment that she is peeing at the edge of the box AGAIN, which you interpret as unhappiness with the box. What was going on when this happened before?

My cat has always peed at the edge of any box she has had, and I do not think it has anything to do with an unhappiness with her boxes. Although, admittedly, earlier in her life I do think the box she had was too small and could be what started her peeing at the edge or in a corner. However, larger boxes have not changed how she pees. Also, because she pees at the edge of the box, I cannot imagine there is any way for the pee to take on the shape of round balls. I know my cat's do not, and they are always jagged in shape.

My cat also used to have recurring UTIs and only once was it bad enough for her behavior to change, with her peeing over the edge; otherwise, it was very hard for me to discern that she had a UTI - we only knew because we had her checked often due to her history with them. So, if the previous issue with her peeing at the edge of the box was due to a UTI, I would have a urinalysis done just in case.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could ask a million questions here but the biggest ones relate to these comments:

Stella Has bone in it so I don't give it to my cat with ibd plus my 3 cats are senior. Other people believe ground bone is good for cats.
Yes, Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried foods always seem to have tended toward high bone content. Yes, bone can be good for cats in small amounts but S&C's phosphorus levels when I checked them some years ago (this might have been as long as ten years ago?) were very high. Recipes may have changed considerably since then -- I'd strongly suggest writing to the company to ask how much bone is in the food and what the dry matter phosphorus level is. When we used to feed raw foods, one of our cats got constipated (minor-to-moderate) if the bone content was over 8-10%.

But I am curious about your comment that she is peeing at the edge of the box AGAIN, which you interpret as unhappiness with the box. What was going on when this happened before?

My cat has always peed at the edge of any box she has had, and I do not think it has anything to do with an unhappiness with her boxes.
I'm also very curious about this since at least one of our cats (maybe both? probably but I'm not sure) loves to pee at the edge of the box.

All that said, I know that feeding IBD cats isn't easy: what you mention about small meals and vomiting are all too familiar. If your cat likes the food, the bone agrees with her and doesn't cause constipation or other symptoms, and you're able to get plenty of water into the food, that might be a decent start. Stella & Chewy's seems to work very well for a lot of cats. Even so, I'd want to ask the company about bone and phosphorus and then discuss it with the vet, given the connection between bone and phosphorus, and then phosphorus and kidney disease. Our vet doesn't like to see high phosphorus... but if a cat has a digestive issue, feeding the cat what the cat likes and can tolerate without symptoms could be more important than bone and phosphorus.

Good luck!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A big enough change for you to notice is a big enough change to run past your vet. I would take her in, and let them test her pee and make sure the food is agreeing with her and her urinary system. If she hasn't had blood work in six to twelve months, I'd let them take that too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thoroughbredmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated. I will see what I can find from the company. I did just about their frozen a while back, but not the freeze dried. She is so picky with food and loves this freeze dried, but maybe we will try increased portions, and I may use some canned food too. I did look up the Wellness in Lisa Pierson's database and it is low phosphorous, but she doesn't have the Stella and Chewy's. Thanks again, everyone.