Big Bully Bruce

Brucifercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, I’m having some MAJOR issues with my two indoor cats. Here’s some background info to paint a better picture...
5 years ago I had a cat named Roger, best pet I’ve ever had. My roommate at the time had a cat that was about a year or two old and he and Rog got along great together. A year later I moved out and Roger became an only child. He would meow A LOT, and scratch everything he could get his hands on. Fast forward another year and I moved in with my boyfriend who has a cat named Mama and a dog. Roger and Mama tolerated each other but Roger continued scratching and ruining the furniture and in a Very stressful time in my life I gave Roger away. I still cry about it 5 years later-sore subject.

ANYWAYS Mama is around 6 years old and has been an only cat her whole life except that one month with roger. This past May, a friend of mine found some kittens and I decided to adopt one. Bruce was about 5 weeks old when he was found. I’d stay up feeding him at night when he cried, I’d try to handle him as much as I could, and he was kept in a safe room for about 2-3 weeks. The whole while hissing and spitting at me. The first two weeks were the hardest as he had worms and other parasites. Poor little guy had bloody diarrhea for the first month he came home. Did the whole slow intro thing with both cats constantly hissing but no physical contact.
Now Bruce is a healthy, neutered, playful teen cat. He has some serious aggressions issues. All day long he attacks Mama. It’s gotten so bad most nights I have to seperate them with a baby gate. He’s constantly biting me, even if he’s purring and laying on me he’ll just snap and attack me. My main worry is that we’ve ruined Mama’s quality of life by bringing him here. They get into some serious fights. He pounces on her out of nowhere. Ears back, hissing, growling, meowing it’s painful to hear. I should mention that we moved into a larger house this August but nothing has really changed they’re not fighting any less or more. Bruce does like to run out into the backyard when the door is open. More like an escape, he’ll run up the tree or hide in a bush. When left in a room more than 5 minutes Bruce will go ballistic and meow and scratch at the door until he’s let out. My fiancé has had enough and can’t stand him but I really want this to work. So I’m really looking for some advice on how to reintroduce these two cats without compromising my sanity.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the ridiculously long post. It’s my first time

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi :hithere: and welcome to TCS :welcomesign:

I'm so sorry you ended up giving Roger away. That must've been so heartbreaking for you :alright: :hugs:

I think at least some of the behaviour you're seeing with Bruce is typical of bottle babies. Kittens normally learn manners, discipline, and cat etiquette from their cat momma and siblings. Being raised by humans, whilst both necessary and life saving, means they lose out on this crucial learning phase. This very often produces 'bully' cats, with little sense of boundaries or appropriate behaviour. They'll often struggle to read signals from other cats too, so don't take notice of the usual 'stay away/leave me alone' cues. This doesn't mean that there's no hope - just that it'll take a fair amount of work and absolute consistency to teach them what constitutes acceptable behaviour.

I'd start with plenty of interactive playtime for Bruce. Ideally, you want to be totally draining his energy at least twice a day (this may take some time :devilcat2:). The more you wear him out, the less likely he'll be to go after Mama - I suspect boredom is at the root of a lot of these attacks.
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

Play will help Mama too (though I'd shut Bruce away for this so he doesn't interfere). It's a great stress buster, and will help boost her confidence and territorial security too.

There are lots of other ways to keep Bruce from getting bored too. Clicker training is one option (and might even carry across into teaching appropriate behaviour), and harness training is another (especially as Bruce sounds like he loves the outdoors). You could consider puzzle feeders too, as they're great for keeping clever kitties appropriately occupied for a while.
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

Opening up more vertical space will help too. For starters, it effectively increases the territory size from a cat's perspective, but it serves other purposes too. Done thoughtfully, it can turn dead ends into escape routes, so stopping Mama from getting cornered. Also, as Bruce seems to like tree climbing, having indoor trees and high places may reduce his determination to dash out the door at every opportunity. Cat trees also give Bruce appropriate places to scratch, so helping with training him out of clawing at the doors and walls. (This may be at least partly rooted in separation anxiety too, though).
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture

I hope at least some of this helps. I know its a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the end :agree:
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've been given excellent advice, however, you may find it easier to retrain your cat and to implement new behaviors if you put your cat on a medication like prozac for a few months. It tends to calm the aggressiveness down to a manageable level. You may want to speak with your vet about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brucifercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow thanks so much, I have a rather large cat tree that doesn’t get as much use as I thought it would but it doesn’t go completely ignored. I have a clicker in my amazon cart I’m going to add a puzzle feeder and see how that goes. I never even thought to play with them seperately haha I thought I’d be helping them bond by playing together with both cats. As far as the meds go, it’s definitely crossed my mind. At the same time though I’m broke af at the moment. Next time Bruce is due to see the dr I’ll bring it up.
Thanks so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brucifercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Besides clicker training how exactly does one teach appropriate behavior?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Scruff the cat and say "no" when he does something he should not.

You can hiss at him. This is universally understood cat language that means "back off". He'll understand. I hissed at my kittens and found it quite effective. So did their mama cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another article comes to mind:
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification and How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat these goe hand in hand with the ones you already have.

Should you decide that medication is needed, you might consider trying him on 1-3 tsp of chamomile tea, up to three times a day. Brew the tea, chill it in the fridge and administer via syringe. It is calming, and might be enough to mellow him out without resorting to Prozac or one of the stronger drugs. And a box of tea bags is less than five bucks. Worth a shot, at any rate!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scruff the cat and say "no" when he does something he should not.

You can hiss at him. This is universally understood cat language that means "back off". He'll understand. I hissed at my kittens and found it quite effective. So did their mama cat.
I was going to suggest scruffing. I would use it as a last resort but it works. I would try this before putting them on Prozac or any other drug. Here's a post you may want to look at where scruffing was applied and it seems to have worked right off the bat. Please Help Me!! My Cat Is Extremely Aggressive And Attacks Me Multiple Times A Day

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I will say about scruffing, which can be extremely effective when done properly, is to make sure you don't dig your nails into the cats neck. A little is ok...remember that mama cats have teeth, and you are actually mimicking a mama cat, but your fingers can actually dig harder than she would bite. Just be aware of the pressure you are using. Firm, but not HARD.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't use nails at all when scruffing. I just get hold of the skin at the back of the neck. It's not a rough thing at all. It just disables them and conveys who is in charge. I also only hold the scruff for a few seconds while saying "no". It's not a mean nor violent thing. In fact, mama cats might do it harder with their mouths.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , I was willing to be you know how to do it, but if someone has never scruffed before, better safe than sorry, and give them the info! I can't tell you how often Hekitty was scruffed and hissed at as a kitten, but she was a bottle baby, and I had to do it all!