BHA & BHT in cat food

happyscrappy!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that BHA & BHT are known carcinogens in dog food, but does it cause cancer in cats as well? Charlie is having loose stools and the vet has recommended Prescription Diet w/d because it is the highest in fiber, but it has BHA & BHT as a preservative. I refuse to give my dogs anything that has those preservatives in it, but didn't know if it affected cats the same way. Also, Charlie is not using the litter box. She suggested using Cat Attract (litter box attractant) anyone had any experience with this product?

Thanks, Nicole

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not feed BHA or BHT to any creature, I don't eat it, it shouldn't be fed to cats or dogs, imho.

Here is just a general article on cat food, listing that these are on the "avoid" list: click here

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Go with your instinct on the BHA & BHT issue...they are known carcinogens that have been banned from human food, but for some reason Science Diet (supposedly a "premium" food) insists on using it in most of their products. There are other solutions for loose stools...some vets suggest adding canned pumpkin to the diet (not the pie filling, though) or psyllium. If you would rather just change the diet, my kitty with loose stools was eating IVD High Factor for a while...it's another prescription food like Hill's W/D, but it does not contain BHA or BHT.
Amanda

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Seppolina

they are known carcinogens that have been banned from human food
bht and bha have been banned for human food in some countries, but not in the united states.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Go with your instinct on the BHA & BHT issue...they are known carcinogens that have been banned from human food, but for some reason Science Diet (supposedly a "premium" food) insists on using it in most of their products. There are other solutions for loose stools...some vets suggest adding canned pumpkin to the diet (not the pie filling, though) or psyllium. If you would rather just change the diet, my kitty with loose stools was eating IVD High Factor for a while...it's another prescription food like Hill's W/D, but it does not contain BHA or BHT.
Amanda
When I read that this was a carcinogen in catfood, I looked at all my own food. A LOT of it had bha/bht in it. (shocked and surprised)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyscrappy!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you would rather just change the diet, my kitty with loose stools was eating IVD High Factor for a while...it's another prescription food like Hill's W/D, but it does not contain BHA or BHT.
Amanda
Thanks Amanda! What does IVD stand for? And, where do you purchase it from?

Nicole

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IVD stands for Innovative Veterinary Diets. I used to get it though my vet's office, but if your vet doesn't carry it, some pet stores like Pet Vet do. Also, I just found a link where you can buy it online
http://www.rxpetfood.com/index.asp?P...RODGROUP&ID=80
I didn't check out the shipping costs, but their prices are lower than what I paid at my vet's office!
Amanda

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just snacking on something today and noticed that under the name it said "contains bha and bht in citric acid to preserve freshness". I had no idea what these were, but wondered if there was controversy regarding them since they made a point to list them like this...now I know! Thank you! It will help both me and my pets!

amyh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a little side note...BHA and BHT actually show up in tons of products aside from food, including lotions and the like. I avoid any product that contains these nasty chemicals...