Better than a regular carrier?

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I've been seeing advertisements for the Purrfect Pouch cat carrier (there are other similar brands too). I'm wondering if any of you have tried this one or any of that type and what you thought of it. It seems like a good idea, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually tried it. With each time I take Gracie to the vet it gets harder and harder to get her in a regular carrier. Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think hard carriers work best for an uncooperative cat, especially a top opening one. I would be concerned a clothes one could be shredded by the claws of a hysterical cat. Another reason for hard carrier is that a scared cat will pee, poop or vomit in their carrier so you need something that will contain it and that is wipeable and washable.

Getting a cat into a carrier is easier if you buy one that opens from the top in addition to the front. If you have a front opener you can tip it up and then drop the cat in feet first.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Along with the comments above, I checked around the site and saw other members saying that some cats (and small dogs) don't like the feeling that the sides are collapsing in on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think hard carriers work best for an uncooperative cat, especially a top opening one. I would be concerned a clothes one could be shredded by the claws of a hysterical cat. Another reason for hard carrier is that a scared cat will pee, poop or vomit in their carrier so you need something that will contain it and that is wipeable and washable.

Getting a cat into a carrier is easier if you buy one that opens from the top in addition to the front. If you have a front opener you can tip it up and then drop the cat in feet first.
I have both a hard carrier that opens on the end, and a soft carrier that opens on the top and also the end. I was just curious about how the sack ones work. It sounds like there are some negative aspects I hadn't even thought of. I think I'll stick with what I have. Thanks!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best carrier is the one that you can get your cat into when you need it and that holds your cat safely with relative comfort.

I used to carry my first cat, "K.C." around in an ordinary knapsack, slung over my shoulder.

The first time I took him to the vet, I didn't have anything else so I emptied out my book bag and used that.
When I got to the vet, I apologized that I didn't have anything else to put K.C. into but the vet just shrugged and said, "It doesn't matter what you use as long as the cat likes it."

The vet gave me one of those heavy, cardboard cat carriers to take K.C. home in but he preferred the knapsack so I just kept using it.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Delilah I got a soft carrier. Due to medical issues we had to have a lot of vet trips early on. She would go crazy in the carrier and nearly rolled the carrier off the seat. Then she pooped in it on another trip. I tossed the carrier and got a hard one with a top load and front door. It's easier to get her in, and she can't really roll it over. She still meows her head off but she doesn't try to roll it over and doesn't struggle.

When I got Fancy I bought a second carrier. This one is 3 sided (almost like a tent), hard, and can be folded flat. Both girls are OK with it (Delilah just hates carriers, Fancy doesn't care). My bigger problem right now is the carriers are so HEAVY and I'm having arm problems lifting them (especially Delilah, aka Ms. Chunkybutt).