Best wet food recommendation for 14 year-old indoor cats possibly with sensitive stomachs

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am hoping to get a few recommendations here, thank you in anticipation!

We have a pair of now quite elderly indoor Ocicats. Since I got them an orthopedic mount for their food, there has been a lot less vomiting (excluding the occasional hairball) but it still seems to me that at times their digestive system fails them and the results (vomit, not diarrhea) can be unpleasant.

We are feeding them Merrick Purrfect Bistro grain-free wet food in three flavors. No fish. No dry food. I see that Merrick only makes one wet food product specifically for indoor adult cats (which is included in our selection) but before Chewy ships our next consignment, I'm hoping to get some ideas for whatever other high-quality wet food I could introduce to the mix that might be easy on their digestion and suited to their age and situation. There are no health problems we can see, just an occasional tendency to hock up the contents of their stomachs. Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding the Pate or a gravy type Perfect Bistro? It makes a difference. If they like a gravy style, then Kasiks won't work.

since they only vomit occasionally, and you feed three different proteins, can you pinpoint if it's with one certain protein?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you utilize Chewy and realizing you have sensitive tummies you're working with, but these guys (The Big Bad Woof) have a few brands where they're allowing small quantity orders so that you could test out one or two cans, or you could contact the manufacturer of something you're interested in and ask if they'd send you a sample
Limited Ingredient GF Wet - Grain-Free Wet Foods - Food

The Kasiks turkey variety is a little bit soupy in consistency after being frozen and thawed, and ends up not as dry as the Merrick rabbit pate or their duck pate. I alternate with both brands for my boy to get his milk thistle into him (by handfeeding), so he doesn't have a choice whether he likes the consistency LOL. I have to add a little Beechnut ham pureed baby food to the Merrick to get it to be more useable for scooping.

This might be useful;
Canned Cat food Spreadsheets

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many thanks for all your help, it’s much appreciated.

Not sure which protein is the culprit, mrsgreenjeens but for no good scientific reason I have always vaguely suspected the beef.

They like the pâté-style food.

I will experiment with the suggested brands. I am pretty sure that there’s no chronic medical issue — and at our vet, it costs about $450 to confuse the matter — so my best bet is to find a gentle diet for these elegant oldsters.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want carragean free wet food. Carragean can cause stomach irritations, even IBD in cats. If your cats are throwing up lots id recommend a vet trip for sure to make sure its not ibd.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This could also be useful