Best Wet Food For ~$1 Or Less Per Can (also - Bffs?)

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
looking for some new foods to try for my girl. She prefers cuts and loves duck flavors. She also likes fish, but if she eats it too often she gets loose poops. Trying to stay at around $1 and less for a 3oz can (would spend more for 5.5 oz), and something I can find in a pet store (I have petsmart, petco, and local pet stores nearby) and also order in cases on chewy if she likes it.

Also - I did pick up two cans of Best feline friend this weekend and she gobbled down a bunch of it, then had a loose poop overnight, smelly farts today, and doesn’t really want to eat the rest of it. At first I thought maybe she’d overeaten since she did eat more than usual yesterday, but then I saw the recall thread on this site and it made me a little nervous. I have one other can of BFF - the duck and tuna flavor. Is it safe in the US?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The BFF recall was because of a deficiency in an essential nutrient, thiamine. Cats that ate only BFF were most likely affected because they weren't receiving this nutrient anywhere else. I wouldn't worry about that as being the cause -- it sounds like your cat is just dealing with some tummy upset. There may be an ingredient that doesn't sit well with her. You may have given her too much at once (it's always best to introduce new foods slowly) or it just may be that she can't eat that particular food because there is an ingredient that she is intolerant of. I stay away from BFF just because it has tons of fish in it and I avoid feeding a lot of fish to my cat.

I'm not sure about good canned brands that are less than 1$. I guess Fancy Feast?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Redbarn Lamb 5.5oz cans on Chewy are pretty good. $1.27 per can if you don't subscribe to it, cheaper if you do. Honestly it's the only food my picky boy will eat faster than my food obsessed boy.

Fancy Feast classic pates are always great and they're low carb, although you said your cat prefers cuts, and I'm not sure about any of those fancy feast varieties. Personally I'm also in favor of Friskies pates to cut cost, but I get that it's not for everyone.

Honestly 'best wet food' means different things to different people. What are you looking for in a wet food to qualify it as 'best'? Ingredients? Nutrition? Recall history?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are liking the american journey minced variety packs on chewy right now. 24 cans for $22.99 might be worth a shot? chewy is good about refunds if your cats hate it. Mine have decided ,after the first two cans which they would not touch :) that they like it a lot.

American Journey / Wet Food / Food / Cat - Free shipping at Chewy.com
Oh! I didn't know that Chewy allowed refunds - that's great! I'm always trying to find foods in store first so she can try it before I order and it's such a pain because the in-store selection really doesn't match up to what's available on Chewy.

Honestly 'best wet food' means different things to different people. What are you looking for in a wet food to qualify it as 'best'? Ingredients? Nutrition? Recall history?
I guess a little bit of all three of those! I want something that has quality ingredients (which is why I liked bff....it's meat/fish, broth, and them the vitamins and minerals, generally) and high nutritional value. Recalls make me nervous overall, but I guess there are two ways to look at it - if a company is recalling and improving their product, I suppose that's better than a company who just releases it and never addresses concerns. But, yeah, I don't like to feed her much fish either, so I was getting the meat & fish varieties from bff. I've noticed if she eats too much fish, that's when her tummy gets a little upset, which is probably what happened after she ate that can, especially since she's also been eating Nutro Max Salmon cuts lately. She isn't a big fan of beef or lamb, based on the foods we've tried in the past, but she seems to get sick of chicken and turkey after awhile, so I throw in fish now and then to give her some variety.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found Chewy to always have great customer service. Normally if my cats absolutely refuse to eat a food they have refunded me without me needing to return it, not always but normally. they tell me to donate it to my local shelter. Any time i have had damage during transit they refund or replace the product immediate. They were recently bought out by petsmart, so i really hope noting changes with their great customer service.

i got the poultry and seafood minced variety pack, and the poultry variety pack, they seem to like it all. I did also get the chicken pate, they will eat it, but not big fans. my guys like minced foods.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although I've ran into some people on here who aren't a fan because it has carageenan (and, admittedly I'm still in the process of learning about this, and deciding if it's truly bad), I've enjoyed feeding Dave's. My cat loves it, and seems to like all flavors pretty equally. I'm not sure if they make a 3.3 ounce can, but I pay $1.08 per 5.5 ounce can, so the price point would be what you're looking for.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although I've ran into some people on here who aren't a fan because it has carageenan (and, admittedly I'm still in the process of learning about this, and deciding if it's truly bad),
My boys also like Dave's. Personally carageenan doesn't bother me since the amounts used in cat food are so small ("the dose makes the poison") plus most studies people reference in opposition to carageenan are either injecting it subcutaneously/intravenously, or they're using massive amounts that would never actually be used in a product. Things like that make a difference and can skew results and cause unnecessary aversion. Just my two cents.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boys also like Dave's. Personally carageenan doesn't bother me since the amounts used in cat food are so small ("the dose makes the poison") plus most studies people reference in opposition to carageenan are either injecting it subcutaneously/intravenously, or they're using massive amounts that would never actually be used in a product. Things like that make a difference and can skew results and cause unnecessary aversion. Just my two cents.
That makes perfect sense! Definitely consider the source, the dose, etc. Anyway, as far as Dave's, and my recommendation of it goes, I'll admit that I don't have strong knowledge of the specifics of cat nutrition beyond the basics. However, the very message/mission behind Dave's is a healthy food at a reasonable price. That phrase captures all that's important to me when choosing a pet food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my understanding different animals react to different amounts of Carageenan in the diet. some very small amounts can cause problems with the intestinal lining, in some animals, others it takes larger amounts. I have not read the amount of any studies with cats. But even a small amount, with a substance they know can cause problems i stay away from, both for myself and my cats. More pet food companies are reformulating and removing it from their foods, which i think is great!

Its hard to stay away from everything that we think may be harmful, but i think we try the best we can. Personally it is one ingredient i avoid. I definitely would not trust the health of my cat speculating on what amounts might be harmful.

Carrageenan: a Controversial Pet Food Additive | Little Big Cat
Carrageenan Dangers - Carrageenan Safety | Dr. Weil

Last edited:

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Nutro cans go for about $1 -- some stores price them better than others. I have bought the Chunky Turkey or Chicken and the Chicken Loaf kitten formula and some of the minced in-gravy varieties. I like the formulas without wheat gluten or rice or whatever that have no/low carb and high protein. Some of their wet food does contain carrageenan, just fyi. I avoided those because some of the cats can only eat wet/canned food and I didn't want them having it in every meal.

I found Under the Sun Witty Kitty 3 oz cans aren't expensive and I liked the ingredients. But when I bought a case of one of the flavors, my cats weren't super enthused about eating it, so it took awhile for them to get through all the cans. The Big Catch and Ruffle My Feathers are low carb, other recipes were kind of high on carbs.

Hound & Gatos chicken, turkey and beef varieties are about the best priced "all-meat" 5.5 oz cans I could find. I bought several cases, then the cats seemed to get tired of all of it, so I haven't bought any for awhile.

And, I haven't tried it, but I saw that Chewy had the American Journey priced at less than $1 per 3 oz can. And you get 50% off the first case you buy. Looks like they have decent ingredients, with about 20% carb.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its hard to stay away from everything that we think may be harmful, but i think we try the best we can. Personally it is one ingredient i avoid. I definitely would not trust the health of my cat speculating on what amounts might be harmful.

Carrageenan: a Controversial Pet Food Additive | Little Big Cat
Carrageenan Dangers - Carrageenan Safety | Dr. Weil
My problem with those studies is they both cite only Tobacman, and she's been contradicted by other scientists many times. I'm not saying her research isn't valid, I just think she extrapolates and infers beyond her data's limits.

Food additive carrageenan: Part II: A critical review of carrageenan in vivo safety studies. - PubMed - NCBI "Subchronic and chronic feeding studies in rodents indicate that CGN at doses up to 5% in the diet does not induce any toxicological effects other than soft stools or diarrhea, which are a common effect for non-digestible high molecular weight compounds. Review of several studies from numerous species indicates that food grade CGN does not produce intestinal ulceration at doses up to 5% in the diet." No pet food would ever use that much carrageenan.

And:
The carrageenan controversy
Parameters and pitfalls to consider in the conduct of food additive research, Carrageenan as a case study. - PubMed - NCBI
A critical review of the toxicological effects of carrageenan and processed eucheuma seaweed on the gastrointestinal tract. - PubMed - NCBI
Carrageenan in Pet Food - Food Science Matters (This isn't my favorite, as it isn't a scientific article itself, but it's more easily understood by consumers)

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind if it's already set, but I like to have good scientific articles in circulation. :running:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found Chewy to always have great customer service. Normally if my cats absolutely refuse to eat a food they have refunded me without me needing to return it, not always but normally. they tell me to donate it to my local shelter. Any time i have had damage during transit they refund or replace the product immediate. They were recently bought out by petsmart, so i really hope noting changes with their great customer service.

i got the poultry and seafood minced variety pack, and the poultry variety pack, they seem to like it all. I did also get the chicken pate, they will eat it, but not big fans. my guys like minced foods.
My canned food boy loves minced/shreds/and will eat pate but offer me side-long glances as if to express his displeasure =(
If refrigeration isn't an issue (some cats find refrigerated leftover canned food totally gross), Wellness offers a 12.5 oz. can (same size as a regular "dog food" can) I can get locally for $2.98 a piece.
Some local chains (our Pet Supplies Plus) has coupons for $5.00 off any $30 purchase, so stocking up saves more!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Nutro cans go for about $1 -- some stores price them better than others. I have bought the Chunky Turkey or Chicken and the Chicken Loaf kitten formula and some of the minced in-gravy varieties. I like the formulas without wheat gluten or rice or whatever that have no/low carb and high protein. Some of their wet food does contain carrageenan, just fyi. I avoided those because some of the cats can only eat wet/canned food and I didn't want them having it in every meal.

I found Under the Sun Witty Kitty 3 oz cans aren't expensive and I liked the ingredients. But when I bought a case of one of the flavors, my cats weren't super enthused about eating it, so it took awhile for them to get through all the cans. The Big Catch and Ruffle My Feathers are low carb, other recipes were kind of high on carbs.

Hound & Gatos chicken, turkey and beef varieties are about the best priced "all-meat" 5.5 oz cans I could find. I bought several cases, then the cats seemed to get tired of all of it, so I haven't bought any for awhile.

And, I haven't tried it, but I saw that Chewy had the American Journey priced at less than $1 per 3 oz can. And you get 50% off the first case you buy. Looks like they have decent ingredients, with about 20% carb.
I think the cat food database is wrong on this carb count. Chewy didnt list the ash content of the food. so i contacted them. they said 2.6 in all the foods. If you calculate the carbs factoring this in the ash content it comes out too 5% wet carbs or 8% carbs, dry matter. The 20% was a problem for me, as i try not to go that high.

my guys do like the nutro minced chicken and the sliced turkey :)

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My canned food boy loves minced/shreds/and will eat pate but offer me side-long glances as if to express his displeasure =(
If refrigeration isn't an issue (some cats find refrigerated leftover canned food totally gross), Wellness offers a 12.5 oz. can (same size as a regular "dog food" can) I can get locally for $2.98 a piece.
Some local chains (our Pet Supplies Plus) has coupons for $5.00 off any $30 purchase, so stocking up saves more!
lol..sounds like mine, they will eat pate before starving, but they much prefer the minced and shreds. and mine will not touch left overs :(

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problem with those studies is they both cite only Tobacman, and she's been contradicted by other scientists many times. I'm not saying her research isn't valid, I just think she extrapolates and infers beyond her data's limits.

Food additive carrageenan: Part II: A critical review of carrageenan in vivo safety studies. - PubMed - NCBI "Subchronic and chronic feeding studies in rodents indicate that CGN at doses up to 5% in the diet does not induce any toxicological effects other than soft stools or diarrhea, which are a common effect for non-digestible high molecular weight compounds. Review of several studies from numerous species indicates that food grade CGN does not produce intestinal ulceration at doses up to 5% in the diet." No pet food would ever use that much carrageenan.

And:
The carrageenan controversy
Parameters and pitfalls to consider in the conduct of food additive research, Carrageenan as a case study. - PubMed - NCBI
A critical review of the toxicological effects of carrageenan and processed eucheuma seaweed on the gastrointestinal tract. - PubMed - NCBI
Carrageenan in Pet Food - Food Science Matters (This isn't my favorite, as it isn't a scientific article itself, but it's more easily understood by consumers)

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind if it's already set, but I like to have good scientific articles in circulation. :running:
True, i think all the information we can find on both sides of an issue is always a good thing. Then everyone can decide for themselves which side they fall on. I will still fall on the other side of Carrageenan :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I just started buying FF new flavor (it says new on the can) creamy delights. It comes in pate & tender bites textures, chicken, salmon & tuna varieties. It also says a touch of milk in every bite. To me any of those flavors with milk does not sound appealing, but Luciano LOVES the chicken flavor. He was getting bored with some of his wet food & it was going uneaten. I was down to giving him half a 3 oz can a day so I wasn't wasting it. He does eat dry food as well, but I need to give him wet food to crush up his medication. I gave a can to my neighbor who has four cats, two of whom are extremely picky eaters and they love it too, so maybe give it a try.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For that price point, Whole Earth Farms is $19.92 for a 24 case. They also have 5oz cans for $27.36. They have a duck flavor that my female cat loves (and my raw fed boy does too when he steals her leftovers.) Some flavors have peas but others don't and those are usually the ones I go for.

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the cat food database is wrong on this carb count. Chewy didnt list the ash content of the food. so i contacted them. they said 2.6 in all the foods. If you calculate the carbs factoring this in the ash content it comes out too 5% wet carbs or 8% carbs, dry matter. The 20% was a problem for me, as i try not to go that high.

my guys do like the nutro minced chicken and the sliced turkey :)
Oh, thanks for giving that info. I like checking with CFDB, but I have noticed some foods seem to have incomplete or old info or odd ratings that don't really make sense.

I'll say I've had best luck feeding Nutro chunky varieties or the kitten loaf. Cats didn't just get tired of them like they would with other high protein meat pates.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thanks for giving that info. I like checking with CFDB, but I have noticed some foods seem to have incomplete or old info or odd ratings that don't really make sense.

I'll say I've had best luck feeding Nutro chunky varieties or the kitten loaf. Cats didn't just get tired of them like they would with other high protein meat pates.
yes, i notice that with the CFDB too. I think she just uses the info available, and doesn't get a hold of the mfg for any missing information, like the ash content if its not given, but that affects the carb content quite a bit. Still a good resource, just have to watch carefully.

mine like the nutro pates sometimes, but they are difficult with pate. they eat the soft loaf sometimes, only other pate they will eat at all really is rawz turkey, sometimes, or FF classics, sometimes .... cats