Best Ways To Give A Dewormer

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I need suggestions I have a feeling spooky is going to fight with me about the dewormer

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Firstly, don't go in expecting a fight. Be as calm and normal as possible. If you're worried about giving meds, disguising them in food can be a good way to go. Many people have success with pure meat baby food. Greenies pill pockets can be a good way to go too. There are more ideas in this article:-
Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills

If hiding the pill doesn't work, you may have to give it manually. I got very used to giving pills this way after having cats that were altogether too suspicious of medicated food. Keep yourself calm, use one hand to restrain Spooky and use the other to give the pill. Aim for the back of the tongue, but slightly to one side so Spooky doesn't choke. Coating the pill in butter can help it slip down easier. You can also get a gadget called a pill popper (basically a modified syringe for giving pills) to protect your fingers and make the process easier. I know some members here have had great success with it, but I've never tried one myself. There are more tips in this article:-
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need suggestions I have a feeling spooky is going to fight with me about the dewormer
Which de-wormer is it? If it's Drontal, it's really nasty tasting & my cats will puke it up if I put it in food. So that one I have to use a pill gun.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always broke it in half and administerd it hidden in a tiny amount of tuna, they usually eat it right up. Getting Pill Pockets for cats and tearing a tiny piece off and 'cementing'the broken pill to a piece of bacon works well too, wrap the bacon arounfd the pill and squish it together in a tiny ball. I had one cat that even the vet could not pill, there was much blood drawn on anyone who tried. I always got liquids for him and the vet showed me a trick that can be used as a last resort. Take them by the scruff and hoist their front feet off the ground, leaving their back legs down for support. They instinctively quiet and hold still. Then insert the dropper into the side of their cheek and give the medication. Like I said this is used as a last resort, but it was the ONLY way we could get medication into this cat. We wrapped him up and had three people holding him, he still drew blood and escaped. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the dewormer and she has one more pill left yay!

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I crushed it and put it in her food I tried to get her to take it the first time she did and spit it out so she's been doing good

Attachments

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes it's you can crush it and sprinkle it on food I googled it

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Their are 3 pills every day I gave her 1 pill a day I think I messed up I've never done this before she's fine

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She has one more to do should I give it to her I feel like a bad person rn I don't know what in doing

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please call your vet and ask them. It is 2 pills given at one time for a cat weighing 13-16 pounds! 4-8lbs is 1 tablet and 9-12 lbs is 1 1/2 tablets. I really wouldn't give more until you read the instructions and understand them or call your vet. I would bet teh three pills are for three doses 3 months apart. Please tell us what you decide!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the package not come with the prescribing info?

Compendium of Veterinary Products - Sign in to your CVP Account

If your cat is under 4 lbs, you give half a tablet only once. Between 5 to 11 lbs,one whole table only once. Over 11 lbs, one and a half tablets only once. You do not give a tablet every day unless otherwise instructed to by a vet.

Were you able to find a low cost vet in your area? Is the spay / neuter appointment set up?

Rule of thumb: if you are unsure of how to give a medicine, OTC or prescription, or have questions on the dosage or frequency of dosing, or anything at all about the medicine, call the vet before you give the medicine to the cat just to be on the safe side.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think she's done as of today she's fine now no worms! And she's getting spayed shots and chipped what is the parvovirus? Is it like worms

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The parvovirus is teh virus that is highly contagious amongst cats and causes distemper, which is almost always fatal. it is one of teh most common vaccinations given to cats and is highly effective in preventing this horrible disease.