Best ways to deal with aggression?

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Caspian is now 4 months old and I have been having trouble with his biting problems. He was taken from his mom and litter mates when he was only 6 weeks so I know this is normal because of that. The methods I have been using have not been helping at all. I've read countless articles and tried most of what all of them say. It just seems like he doesn't react positively to any of them.

Normally what I do is if he jumps up or starts biting ill either push him down off of whatever I'm on or set him down. If I'm walking and he attacks my feet i normally go get one of his balls and throw it and he's happy to chase it but gets bored of it and goes back to biting. If he gets super crazy I shut him in the bathroom to let him calm down and wen he comes out he normally is calmer, but he's still trying to bite.

I know he just wants to play but its driving me nuts. I play with him A LOT to try to get rid of his energy but its just never enough. Is there anything else I can do to help? Or is there something I'm doing that I shouldn't be? And just to add when I say he's biting I mean really biting. It's not some kind of play nibble. He draws blood almost every single time.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I didn't check back on the reply I thought I had posted.

Are you using your hands to play with him? I mean like another kitten, wrestling and grabbing.

Here are some things that might work.  When he bites you, hiss at him like his mama would do.  Give him some toys that he can be rough, like a Kong Kickeroo.

Any reaction you have to him jumping on you, such as picking him up and setting him on the floor, tells him that it will get him more attention. Have you considered getting him a playmate? One about his age and size that was left with mama until 12 weeks or so. The new one would teach him some cat manners. 

Start planning on getting him neutered soon.  That will do away with some of the crazy hormones, but it takes about a month after neutering.

A Feliway diffuser may help calm him down some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply.

I've never tried the hissing technique so ill be trying that next time he bites. He's been having some stuffed animals that are bigger than him that he wrestles with and runs around with so I think I have that covered.

As for getting him a playmate, I would LOVE to get another little kitty for him, but my budget can only fit in one pet at the moment. If it were up to me I would have him neutered by now, but my vet likes to wait until 6 months and the closest vet besides him is 3 hours away.

If all else fails I will look into getting a feliway diffuser but I would like that to be my last resort. Ill keep you updating on wether or not the hissing technique gets me anywhere.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When our Toby was a tiny kitten (abandoned on our door step at about 6 weeks of age) he had those same type of issues and what worked for him was as soon as he started biting I would clap my hands together a couple of times sharply and say , firmly, "NO!". The clapping would startle him and he`d stop. I did it a lot at first and then just saying "NO" started working without the clapping. Give him something he can play with when you are refusing to "be his toy" .

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Alex17 the kitten bouncing and pouncing when it is all but -what- 3 -5pounds sounds so cute. I can imagine with all that energy, yeah. You want to say (Give me a break). My 3 Yr old Main-coonie mix GG ,also made me too tired, play, play , follow me like a lit'l pup. No rub-a-dub. Just stalk AND pounce. He has a play mate, now. Who he stalks , worries about
Smiles