Best way to remove loose hair (sleek coated cat)

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty has a very sleek, soft ,short coat. He sheds a heck of a lot more than I was expecting and I have been having trouble removing loose hair from his coat. I used two different types of slicker brushes and neither one gets the hair from his coat. Since his hair is so sleek, it all just sticks to him. When I pet him every thing just gets pushed down to his back end and its driving me nuts. So what can I use to get his hair off from his coat?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 if you want to get out loose hair ,  you can try rubbing corn starch into the coat ,  down to the skin,  then brush brush brush it out with a rubber curry brush.

Here is the sort of brush I use on my Siamese  which is pretty much the quintessential sleek , short, close-lying coat breed.

you would mostly use the flat side.

http://www.chewy.com/cat/four-paws-...hopzilla&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=Four Paws

( I don't mean you always need to use it with corn starch.     It's just the main brush I use for them.   but the corn starch thing is an old tip for when you don't want to do a bath ,  but want to help get out loose hair and oil and dirt. )

Actually,   I first use a grooming mitt with raised rubber bits on it --  like this:  http://www.chewy.com/cat/four-paws-..._content=pla&gclid=CJL746eQmbsCFbE-Mgodmj8Apw

Then the little curry brush.     But  if your cat's coat is a bit thicker , you might try a Zoom Groom. 

You can also try  petting with damp hands. 

Another idea ,  they also have a different sort of grooming glove.

I finish  with a chamois 

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I use pretty similar methods to @maewkaew for my short dense coated Russian, though generally  he sheds very little.  A wipe over with a damp micrfibre cloth takes off anything loose and polishes him up nicely.  In hotter summer weather I'll use a grooming mitt, he prefers that to the less fleixible, harder rubber brushes.  Damp hands and firm stroking is a nice way to lift out dead fur without the harshness of a brush if your cat has sensititive skin, and it lifts out both long fur and under coat rather than thinning out like slicker brushes.