Best way to give a kitty pills?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terra the Cat was recently disguised with an overactive thyroid and will need daily medication for the rest of her life. Like most kitties, Terra is rather particular about what ahe will and won’t eat, and I fear that forcing a pill down her throat every day could damage our bond (even if it is in the best interest of her health).

What are some good ways of getting a cat to take her pills? Even though Terra is an older cat, and lactose intolerant, she absolutely LOOOOOOOOVES vanilla ice cream, and will do things to get it that she won’t do for anything else. My vet had given her blessing to hide it in a cat sized serving of the stuff if that’s what it takes.

I’d much rather do something else, as dairy makes Terra puke 🤮.

What are some tried and true methods you guys use to give pills to your cats?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby, who is 18+yo, will take Felimazole crushed up into a bite of her breakfast food before I give her the entire 'meal', or mixed with a lickable treat for her evening dose. It is about the only med she takes willingly.

You could also try lactaid free ice cream if you need to.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Did your vet tell you there is a transdermal gel form of medicine used to treat Hyperthyroidism that can be gently rubbed in the cat's ear? This alleviates having to give Terra a pill. Our cat who was also diagnosed with H-T is difficult to pill so I opted for the transdermal option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now that you mention it, the vet DID mention that topical cream. I suffered a brain infection in 2017 that affected my short term memory, so I didn’t think to order it…

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
thefishyone thefishyone I take a Churu and put a dab on my finger, then the pill, then more Churu. They might miss the pill the first time but I usually just add some more Churu on top. It was the only thing that worked consistently for Lily's methamazole.

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the best way to administer pills was to flip the cat on it's side and push the pill through the SIDE of it's mouth, then upright it and stroke it's throat. Wait until it starts licking it's lips to know it's done. Those vids on giving a seated cat a pill are a pain, the cat either backs away or struggles from side to side. I think they use pre trained cats haha.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy is on twice-daily Cisapride capsules and she’s just grown more tolerant of having them. Yes, she’ll spit them out if she can, and may put her paw up to push my hand away, but mostly it’s just pry her mouth open at the sides and poke the thing far enough into her throat for it to go straight down. She’s such a clingy cat she doesn’t even take off when I get the pill out - the bottle is on my bedside table and pilling her is the first job of the day.

I know this isn’t exactly a method, more that it can be surprising how much they’ll tolerate and that it doesn’t automatically mean damaging their bond with you.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd ask about the gel, it would be so much less stressful. I like pill pockets but I've had the cat who happily eats pill pockets with pills and I've had the cat who eats the pill pocket around the pill. You can also use any softer treat and warm it up slightly in your hand an form it around the pill

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I called my vet and it was not to late to change the order from pills to dermal patches for the inside of her ear. Cost me $30 more for the patches, but I can’t see myself forcing Terra to take a pill every day.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the transdermal gel on my hyperthyroid girl. Just a little rub on the ear twice a day. You could also try kitty pill pockets. I give one of my boys an antacid in half of a catnip flavored pill pocket.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I called my vet and it was not to late to change the order from pills to dermal patches for the inside of her ear.
If it's the type you rub in her ear just make sure you wear a finger cot when you apply it which the pharmacy should be able to give you. It's unsafe for you to have it absorbed into your own skin. Also make sure you thoroughly clean the ear before reapplying but wait until at least 12 hours after applying to clean it. Good luck and please let us know how it works out. :goodluck:

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they said “patches “ In either event, I have no protective gear to apply it with.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Methimazole Transdermal Gel and Cream For Cats | AVRIO Pharmacy
Most manufacturers of transdermal cat medication recommend the use of rubber surgical gloves in order to apply the medication. You don't want any of these meds to be absorbed into your system.

We had a member who unwittingly applied Mirataz with their bare fingers and experienced an appetite spike.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby gets Mirataz; I buy cheap plastic gloves and cut a finger off to use with each application. I am even so 'cheap' as to cut the hand of the glove into 4 more pieces, resulting in 9 applications per glove.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby gets Mirataz; I buy cheap plastic gloves and cut a finger off to use with each application. I am even so 'cheap' as to cut the hand of the glove into 4 more pieces, resulting in 9 applications per glove.
That's actually really reducing your waste! I vote you rebrand it 'ecofriendly'.

zombibird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Xavier. our alpha (18 years and counting) is VERY hard to IMPOSSIBLE to pill.. tried pill gun, getting someone to hold him, wrapping in a towel.. no dice So I crush his meds with a mortar and pestle and mix with a small amount of meat baby food, smear on his paw and he, although deeply offended licks it clean